Who has been better this year: Karlsson vs Burns

Who has been better this season?

• Total voters

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I expect Karlsson to take this because of recency bias, but IMO it’s been very close and I lean towards Burns whose assist total is the same as Karlsson’s point total.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's probably pretty close even with Karlsson's surge. Burns has carried the team solo for chunks of the season but he's also had his anchor games too. Karlsson was adjusting for the first 20 games but he's been a world-beater lately but his effect on the game feels more consistent and it's a lot more subtle so it doesn't feel as game breaking even though he basically has been for the last couple weeks. For now, still Burns but fully expect Karlsson to take it

CHALUPA

Oct 9, 2008
Stockton, CA
Though Karlsson struggled on offense early, he was still the best on our team at getting the puck out of the defensive zone. I’d argue that he was still a very large impact on the team during that time. Combine that with his recent surge, I think he’s been the better defenseman overall this year.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
It's honestly hard to pick. Burns actually looks like a defenseman this season (while still having the team lead), but Karlsson right now is on a ridiculous scoring pace.

Holy f***, having two PPG-pace defensemen is something else.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Without the Vlasic experiment it would be Karlsson easily. But those 15 games happened lol.

But since Dillion and Karlsson got together I think they have been the best offensive AND defensive pairing in the NHL. I think the advanced stats show this too.

Burns has been incredible too, and it's ridiculous a team can have either on the for 50 minutes of the game.

Best duo in the NHL.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I voted for Burns by a hair. However I do believe Karlsson is the better overall player. If this question is asked at the end of the year I have a feeling it will be Karlsson just ahead. His ability to exit his own zone, either by skating it out or other worldly outlet passes is unlike anything I've seen. Karl's also uncharacteristically missed some glorious scoring chances so far that I'd expect he starts cashing in on.

Either way having both of them is a dream come true. I'll truly be inconsolable if he doesn't resign.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Right now it's been Burns because he's been more consistent the whole season. Since the middle of November though, I'd say EK.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
tumblr_ov3vowgVLK1w14zpao4_250.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Over the season it has to be Burns. Over the last 14 games its Karlsson by a hairline.

Season up until coaching responsibility changes...

Burns: 4 goals, 25 assists, -3
Karlsson: 2 goals, 14 assists, -11

After the changes...

Burns: 4 goals, 16 assists, +10 in 17 games
Karlsson: 1 goal, 21 assists, +17 in 15 games

I think you're right with the exception that Karlsson may be better by a little more than a hairline during this last stretch. Like I think it's a noticeable difference in quality but not large. However, Burns created a pretty large gap leading up to those coaching changes that deserve to be kept in mind. Luckily, both guys saw an increase in their play quality following the coaching changes so to that I give the organization credit for recognizing a change was needed and did it and have so far seen positive results from it. The caveat though is that their competition has been pretty soft during this latest stretch of games too and that the good/playoff teams we have played in that time has had mixed results. The Vegas game should be a good test to see where this team is at considering how poorly they played them last time. Obviously, with the Tampa result being what it was, there's good reason to have belief in them putting in a good performance this time around. But a three game in four night/four games in six nights schedule may catch up with them.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So 7 points back of Burns... so at his current rate, he should catch up next game lol.

not sure, burns also has 11 points in his last 5 games, might take him a bit longer. for reference karlsson also has 11 points in his last 5 games.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
From the start? Burns.

EK is starting to play at a level not even Burns can reach. If he continues I will have to change my answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad