Who goes straight from 2004 Draft to the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calgary_Moe

Jul 30, 2003
Hey gang,

I know I've asked this before, but I am not sure I got a straight answer...

Other than Ovechkin, who gets drafted this summer and plays this fall in the NHL (supposing there is a CBA in place)? Do you think it really depends on what team drafts who? I believe that has a lot to do with it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Moe

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Malkin is about as much a given to start next year as AO. He not only has the skills, enough so that I think that he would make the team from day one whoever drafted him, but who is the world is there on the Pen's roster that can beat him out? Mario of course, if he even plays, but that is about it.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
I think Ovechkin is far and away the most likely to start the season in the NHL. Then after that it gets kind of blurry.

Malkin needs to get alot stronger and also the IIHF thing looms over him, so he might benefit from spending a year or so in Russia.

I personally think Olesz will make the NHL right away, though perhaps not contribute alot immediately.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Someone always surprises.

Ladd would get a look. Olesz and Tukonen are possibilities if they came over. Mike Green might vie for a spot. Any one of Radulov, Picard, Stafford and Fransson. Lepisto is older and might challenge, but will probably stay in Europe.

YKOil

Apr 7, 2004
Malkin and Ovechkin - though I think the teams would be stupid to put them in their opening line-ups first year. Now is NOT teh time for Washington or Pittsburgh to have wildly successful rookies.

It takes 5-6 years of top draft picks to put together a team that will contend for the Cup down the road. Look at Atlanta - even with Lehtonen, Coburn, Kovalchuk, Heatley and Exelby (plus Stefan now and Slater later) they were lucky (imo) they crashed a bit this year - the better draft choices will mean a lot more to them three years from now than finishing just out of the play-offs.

YKOil

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Ovechkin and Olesz, I think, almost certainly will be in the league. Probably one or two other guys make it, but they'll be surprises.

Malkin has the talent to play, no doubt, but can the Pens get him out of Russia? Look at the problems Chistov, Svitov and Zherdev had. Ovechkin, they've expected to leave for some time, and the family and agent have prepared for it. Malkin, on the other hand, could have it tough. I hope he doesn't, but it feels like he is going to be the first post-Zherdev post-IIHF test case. Good luck with that.

capman29

Mizral said:
Malkin, Ladd, and O'Neill would be my guesses.

Did you not leave off the best player in the draft? I am sure it is just an oversight .

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I don't see Malkin making the NHL. I see him in either Russia or the AHL. THe Pens have too many prospects that are in need of a roster spot, or they risk losing for nothing. THese guys will get their shot to prove themselves, while Malkin adjusts, or matures in Russia.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
capman29 said:
Did you not leave off the best player in the draft? I am sure it is just an oversight .

Who? His question was who besides Ovechkin......So I am assuming (since Malkin was mentioned) that you are referring to Barker? While I like Barker, he is by no way the best player in the draft as of right now.

Last edited:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Mizral said:
Malkin, Ladd, and O'Neill would be my guesses.

O'Neill?!?!

Defensemen usually take longer than forwards. Moreover this is about the 4th or 5th best DF in this draft (according to general consensus) and was decent, but not outstanding, as a 17yr old freshman in the NCAA. What qualifies him to be a likely NHLer next season, ahead of Barker, Smid, Thelen? (none of whom I expect to step in either but...).

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
It would depend on the team that drafted the player. A player like Ladd would have a good chance of making the CBJ team but if for some reason he falls to DET, he'll have a harder time of making the team. Ovechkin and Malkin are the two players I would say could make a run on any team. After that I think most of the players are a season or two away...

GXL

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
steblick said:
O'Neill?!?!

Defensemen usually take longer than forwards. Moreover this is about the 4th or 5th best DF in this draft (according to general consensus) and was decent, but not outstanding, as a 17yr old freshman in the NCAA. What qualifies him to be a likely NHLer next season, ahead of Barker, Smid, Thelen? (none of whom I expect to step in either but...).

I can't see O'Neil in the NHL next year, or 3 years from now. He was ok in the games I saw him this year, and I was surprised at how well Noter Dame did as a team, but offensively O'Neil was a disappointment. His size and skating are an interesting package, but overall I wasn't very impressed with him in any of the games I watched him play.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Calgary_Moe said:
Hey gang,

I know I've asked this before, but I am not sure I got a straight answer...

Other than Ovechkin, who gets drafted this summer and plays this fall in the NHL (supposing there is a CBA in place)? Do you think it really depends on what team drafts who? I believe that has a lot to do with it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Moe

Ovechkin has proved he can play at this level (recent Worlds) but who from the second round, and young for their draft year, will be this year's Bergeron? (probably noone but who knows)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Malkin could step in immediately, but would probably be better off staying in Russia for one more year. Seems like he's in a real good situation with Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
As mentioned - likely whoever the CBJ pick at 4 is going

to play in the league this year. Jody Shelly and Tyler Wright have been keeping Ladd's spot warm for him. Plug him and let him play... MacLean has said we may have as many as 10 nhler's under 23 years of age..

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
IMO, Chipchura has the best chance of starting right away out of anyone... PLEASE don't twist that statement.

Ovechkin - No reason for him not to... Caps are gonna be ALMOST as good as the Pens one day!

Malkin... no. Not developed enough.

No way with Olesz. Maybe mid-season, but he WON'T start right away.

Green, Fistric, Tesliuk are all ready for the NHL... Lepisto is right behind them.

Ladd might step right in... I have a funny feeling he'll do better offensively in the NHL than he did in Calgary. Not at all saying he didn't bode well in that category in the WHL...

On the other end of the spectrum are guys like Valabik, Dubnyk, Barker, Schremp and Sindel - all of whom I will bet with anyone, will not play next season. They're all long-term projects... minimum ETA probably being Barkers at around 2 years or so. Valabik I could see taking 5-6 years to compete in the NHL, which is why he may fall... many teams are looking for fixes, instant gratification in lew of the youth movement. Valabik will be good, but he will be good in the AHL at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad