Sep 4, 2005
Pouliot will be waived.

Brad Boyes 1m Benoit Pouliot 1.3m

...next will be Kreider being traded.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Maybe - maybe not.

Pouliot is the epitome of a lazy Sather signing. Oh, we need skill? Sure, sign this guy - he was drafted 4th overall one year.

yeah, lets run out and sign this guy early in free agency because, you know the cap's coming down and there won't be any bargains late and it's really important we get this guy.....terrible decision making!

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Pouliot will be waived.

Brad Boyes 1m Benoit Pouliot 1.3m

...next will be Kreider being traded.

i would keep pouliot. his skating and size are just too good to dump imo. i would say zuc and pyatt are gone before pouliot.

kreider being traded is interesting. i would need something of real value coming back but would certainly listen. another one whos value may drop if he doesnt light it up in the A.

same with mcilrath, would like to see what value he has. im afraid, not that much ... :shakehead

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
i would keep pouliot. his skating and size are just too good to dump imo. i would say zuc and pyatt are gone before pouliot.

kreider being traded is interesting. i would need something of real value coming back but would certainly listen. another one whos value may drop if he doesnt light it up in the A.

same with mcilrath, would like to see what value he has. im afraid, not that much ... :shakehead

I'd rather hang on to both of those players.

PavelBure9

Jul 31, 2007
I don't get people killing the Pouliot move. It was a low risk high reward type move that obviously has not worked the past 6 games. If anything, he's either waived and claimed, or he goes down to the pack with a small burden for the year. On Sathers end, it was a good move looking at his 5 v 5 numbers. We know he's maddeningly inconsistent, that's why we were able to get him for peanuts. If he is this terrible after 20 games, he's a goner. Same goes for Pyatt, who arguably has been even worse then Pouliot. These guys have to perform or their gone. But I don't understand people who consistently kill Sather for moves that are smart from an economical standpoint that have low to no risk for this signing.

Right now he's terrible, give it 20 games and Krieder will have to take his spot.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005

Kreider's stock is plummeting like a rock. Last season was poor and he hasn't showed any signs of life. Other younger prospects are starting to pass him by and that's not a good sign.

Pouliot is a bum, sure the guy has size and a good pair of hands but so did Frolov, Wolski, Antropov, etc. Give me a smaller guy who's gonna work his tail off rather than a big lazy bum anyday.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't get people killing the Pouliot move. It was a low risk high reward type move that obviously has not worked the past 6 games. If anything, he's either waived and claimed, or he goes down to the pack with a small burden for the year. On Sathers end, it was a good move looking at his 5 v 5 numbers. We know he's maddeningly inconsistent, that's why we were able to get him for peanuts. If he is this terrible after 20 games, he's a goner. Same goes for Pyatt, who arguably has been even worse then Pouliot. These guys have to perform or their gone. But I don't understand people who consistently kill Sather for moves that are smart from an economical standpoint that have low to no risk for this signing.

Right now he's terrible, give it 20 games and Krieder will have to take his spot.

This is true.

Remember clarkson? We could have been stuck with that! :p Just look at the positives

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Pouliot is the type of guy that a team with an existing solid roster brings in for depth. From the beginning, Pouliot was going to be depended upon to produce here, likely in a top 6 role. Thats unfair to him considering his sketchy past, and is setting him up for failure.

More importantly, when is the last time one of these "low risk" signings actually worked out for the Rangers (especially at forward)? It actually takes legwork to find those type of gems that produce something -- Sather doesn't have the time for that

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005

It's not the move to acquire Pouliot or Pyatt, it's the amount they're spending on these guys and the fact that there were better options for less money. Now if they're waived you only save the first 925k and that's it. Borderline players need to be at 1m, especially during a shrinking cap offseason. Pouliot @ 1.3m while Boyes, Raymond, and Olesz all sign for 1m is throwing cap space out the window. But hey, I guess it makes sense when you can just put the screws to your RFA #1 pivot who's holding out and is now contributing to a slow start for him.

....yeah take his spot as a floater with size.

PavelBure9

Jul 31, 2007
Pouliot is the type of guy that a team with an existing solid roster brings in for depth. From the beginning, Pouliot was going to be depended upon to produce here, likely in a top 6 role. Thats unfair to him considering his sketchy past, and is setting him up for failure.

More importantly, when is the last time one of these "low risk" signings actually worked out for the Rangers (especially at forward)? It actually takes legwork to find those type of gems that produce something -- Sather doesn't have the time for that

How about Vinny Prospal? That move worked out pretty well of you remember him playing with Gaborik.

If you look at the forward wings, you have Nash, Hagelin, and Callahan in the top six, with Stepan, Brassard, and Richards, all occupying the other roles. Zuccarello and Pouliot were here to be third line players, if not second line in temporary cases.

And in terms on Boyes or Raymond, those players could also have not done well under these circumstances. Raymond especially, considering who he is playing with in Toronto. Boyes is in Florida, and while he has had a hot start, what are the chances he keeps it up.

People want the no risk, high reward player. You can't have that player. That player doesn't exist. Especially if you want to sign him for peanuts.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Kinda half serious

• Put Cally on LTIR for 10 games (he needs to heal)
  • Trade MDZ & Asham for Big Buff and a 5th
  • Flip Pouliot for Tootoo (maybe in a 3 way deal with a pic involved?)
  • Sign Vinny Prospal $1m + $1m

ROSTER

FORWARDS $34.885.667
Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Vinny Prospal ($2.000m) CENTER LINE
Jesper Fast ($0.900m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.150m) WEAK LINE
Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / J.T. Miller ($1.244m) BIG LINE
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m) CRAZY LINE
Darroll Powe ($1.067m)
Injured - Rick Nash ($7.800m)

DEFENSEMEN $20.840.000
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Justin Falk ($0.975m)

GOALTENDERS $7.438.333
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
------
LTIR $6.525.000
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m)
Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000
CAP HIT: $69,689,000
BONUSES: $1,570,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster with 2 on LTIR): -$3,819,000

When Cally & Hagelin return - there would blatantly need to be some more movement. By then we might all have gone nuts though

Last edited:

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
  • Put Cally on LTIR for 10 games (he needs to heal)
    [*]Trade MDZ & Asham for Big Buff and a 5th
  • Flip T Pyatt for Tootoo (maybe in a 3 way?)
  • Sign Vinny Prospal $1m + $1m
I don't want a high priced player who's not committed enough to stay well conditioned. Build it up from the core and keep them young, hungry, and competitive. That's what brought this team out of the doldrums before and it's a recipe for success. Besides who wants Asham anyway.

Much more likely Postma is acquired for less. Everyone will be excited about his size, potential, and a pretty offensive play. Then when he starts getting burned defensively he'll be whipped.

VP should have never left NYC! Would have rather seen him signed for 1m then Bumwa Pouliot for 1.3m

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Too much is made it off Buff being out of shape every year. The guy has put up 140pts in his last 197GP .71PPG which is better than all but what two of our forwards?

He's not a show starter or anything either just out of shape for camp.

If you can get him for MDZ and not much else I think you have to.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Too much is made it off Buff being out of shape every year. The guy has put up 140pts in his last 197GP .71PPG which is better than all but what two of our forwards?

I'd take him for sure. He brings elements that this team sorely lacks.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

I think it would cost much more than MDZ but if not I'd certainly make that trade.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think it would cost much more than MDZ but if not I'd certainly make that trade.

The Rangers have too many forward prospects all around the same age pushing for spots:

Kristo
Yogan
Bourque
Kreider
Miller
Fast
Lindberg
Hrivik
Jean

If they need to move another piece, I would expect it to be one of those players. Obviously some look like they have no future in the NHL (Bourque, Jean)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
That would be a bad trade for the Jets. I follow them closely, 2nd to the Rangers. They would need an upgrade at Center, dynamic forward or defensive dman in return. Del Z seems redundant on the Jets. Trading Buff on the open market could give them substantial return.

Punxrocknyc19*

The Rangers have too many forward prospects all around the same age pushing for spots:

Kristo
Yogan
Bourque
Kreider
Miller
Fast
Lindberg
Hrivik
Jean

If they need to move another piece, I would expect it to be one of those players. Obviously some look like they have no future in the NHL (Bourque, Jean)

im really a fan of Yogan... with NYR needing size and grit especially on the roster, i hope he makes it as a Ranger sometime soon. he didnt look bad and out of place in preseason.. hopefully a midseason call up. Yogan is another forward that can play 2 positions center and LW.... good problem to have like Miller.... and wasnt Kreider drafted as a center http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120939

maybe Kreider back to center??

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
im really a fan of Yogan... with NYR needing size and grit especially on the roster, i hope he makes it as a Ranger sometime soon. he didnt look bad and out of place in preseason.. hopefully a midseason call up. Yogan is another forward that can play 2 positions center and LW.... good problem to have like Miller.... and wasnt Kreider drafted as a center http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120939

maybe Kreider back to center??

Kreider is a full-time winger and has been for about 4 years now.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
That would be a bad trade for the Jets. I follow them closely, 2nd to the Rangers. They would need an upgrade at Center, dynamic forward or defensive dman in return. Del Z seems redundant on the Jets. Trading Buff on the open market could give them substantial return.

I agree here, I think Buff commands much more than the Rangers should or could give back.

I'd be open for a rebuild/retooling if this sort of play continues to the trade deadline anyway.

This is a odd mix of players. Big guys who are soft, small guys who are not that talented, UFAs who are getting older and will want long term expensive contracts, RFAs who are will want similar. A most likely buyout who is their best forward currently. Nash with another concussion 2nd in two years.

If they add Buff and his contract not sure where that would even leave them.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Stralman. Girardi. Fedetenko. Prospal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->