Speculation: Who gets the Orpik "A"?

Who is the new alternate captain?

• Total voters

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Oshie is the only player I can think of on our team that plays consistently unselfish, he is the clear choice. Last year there was a playoff game that we were losing and the other team had a breakaway, TJ sprinted down the ice, from one side to the other, passing coasting players on our team, and dove to try and break up the play. The guy never gives up on a play, puts his body in front of every shot, he's a terrible fighter but he's fought guys like McQuaid, he is clearly the next A.

John isn't there yet. I have seen him take plays off, I've seen him make the lazy choice, his consistency isn't fully developed.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I actually think Oshie is a good fighter. Pit bull type. Anyone that fights McQuaid and comes out no worse for wear graduated to a certified ok sporadic middle weight.

Oshie would make a great captain.

Heck, he's right up there as a Captain America type. Not far behind is John Carlson.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Oshie is the only player I can think of on our team that plays consistently unselfish, he is the clear choice. Last year there was a playoff game that we were losing and the other team had a breakaway, TJ sprinted down the ice, from one side to the other, passing coasting players on our team, and dove to try and break up the play. The guy never gives up on a play, puts his body in front of every shot, he's a terrible fighter but he's fought guys like McQuaid, he is clearly the next A.

John isn't there yet. I have seen him take plays off, I've seen him make the lazy choice, his consistency isn't fully developed.

I agree with all of that, except Carlson played his most rounded and mature hockey yet this past season. He is on the verge of being everything you want. His trajectory is looking good. IMO he is close enough to wear an "A." On most other teams he would be an easy choice. It just so happens that this team has other true champions like Oshie and Niskanen.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I agree with all of that, except Carlson played his most rounded and mature hockey yet this past season. He is on the verge of being everything you want. His trajectory is looking good. IMO he is close enough to wear an "A." On most other teams he would be an easy choice. It just so happens that this team has other true champions like Oshie and Niskanen.
I need to see what he looks like in a non-contract year

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I need to see what he looks like in a non-contract year

That was my concern all along. I have memories from when he signed his last contract. But I largely alleviated those memories by knowing he has matured, and is now expected to be more of a leader. I do like an Orpik type in the room keeping everyone in check.

We see bad contracts all over the league. We should start predicting the next worst contracts.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
That was my concern all along. I have memories from when he signed his last contract. But I largely alleviated those memories by knowing he has matured, and is now expected to be more of a leader. I do like an Orpik type in the room keeping everyone in check.

We see bad contracts all over the league. We should start predicting the next worst contracts.
Well then we need to hand the A to Niskanen then. His post game interviews this season were brutal, they were honest, they held everyone accountable, I imagine it's even more unfiltered behind close doors. Niskanen is quick to call himself out when he is bad, he's quick to admit the team is unfocused or undisciplined, he also is quick to praise guys he sees step up. Look at the breakdown interviews last season, he gave Orlov all the props in the world and basically called the team out for being mentally weak.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Well then we need to hand the A to Niskanen then. His post game interviews this season were brutal, they were honest, they held everyone accountable, I imagine it's even more unfiltered behind close doors. Niskanen is quick to call himself out when he is bad, he's quick to admit the team is unfocused or undisciplined, he also is quick to praise guys he sees step up. Look at the breakdown interviews last season, he gave Orlov all the props in the world and basically called the team out for being mentally weak.

I have been reading into the handing of the cup all along. Starting with Ovi and Nick jointly passing it to Brooks, who then handed the cup to Nisky. Did Orpik decide who he hands it to, and the next guy goes from there? I guess that's how it works.

Regardless, Nisky was 4th in line which I contend points to him being the next alternate.

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2007
Kuznetsov got the cup pretty late. Other than Ovechkin passing it to Backstrom I don't think much can be read into it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kuznetsov got the cup pretty late. Other than Ovechkin passing it to Backstrom I don't think much can be read into it.

I heard Kuzy could barely carry the cup so its no surprise he let others enjoy hoisting it, since I don't think he could.

Interesting you see nothing usual about Nick and Ovi both carrying and giving the cup to Orpik. I cannot think of a greater sign of respect, short of both also bowing to him. Maybe its just me, and all it was random happenings, or Nick needed help carrying it.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Maybe its just me, and all it was random happenings, or Nick needed help carrying it.

I thought it was because of Backstrom's hand. At one point he says something to Ovie and leans the cup towards Ovie and Ovie grabs onto the cup part of the cup. After that Nick shifts his hand a few times, seemingly trying to get comfortable. Probably would have hurt had there not been a lifetime's worth of adrenaline going into that moment.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I have been reading into the handing of the cup all along. Starting with Ovi and Nick jointly passing it to Brooks, who then handed the cup to Nisky. Did Orpik decide who he hands it to, and the next guy goes from there? I guess that's how it works.

Regardless, Nisky was 4th in line which I contend points to him being the next alternate.
I can't find it right now but the Post did an article breaking down who handed who the cup and the perceived reasoning behind it.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I heard Kuzy could barely carry the cup so its no surprise he let others enjoy hoisting it, since I don't think he could.

Interesting you see nothing usual about Nick and Ovi both carrying and giving the cup to Orpik. I cannot think of a greater sign of respect, short of both also bowing to him. Maybe its just me, and all it was random happenings, or Nick needed help carrying it.
Ovie was skating next to Nick and then Nick said something an Ovie grabbed the end of the Cup. So I think he probably asked for help given his f***ed up hand.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovie was skating next to Nick and then Nick said something an Ovie grabbed the end of the Cup. So I think he probably asked for help given his ****ed up hand.

I thought about that too... only he had just carried the cup around the ice and lifted it no problem. A few strides and he's at Orpik. I do remember his impressive sausage finger elephantitis thing he had going on. I figured it would help stabilize the base ;)

We need a lip reader to hook us up. My fu fan finger f***ing hurts help me or, lets go give it to Batya.

Emrich touched on the passing of the cup usual protocols.

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->