Speculation: Who gets the Orpik "A"?

Who is the new alternate captain?

• Total voters

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I want it to be Wilson, I expect it to be Carlson even though I don't think he deserves it. I think Niskanen has shown more, from what we see, warranting an A for the defense.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I think it’ll be Carlson but Niskanen makes the most sense to me. I really think they’d like to keep an “A” amongst the defensemen.

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
If it has to go to a Blueliner than it has to be Carlson. Just inked to a long term deal. Cornerstone for foreseeable future.

I'm weighing that vs. Reirden's history with Niskanen. I'm giving the slight edge to Nisky but could easily go either way. Much higher chance it goes to one of those two over Oshie.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I'd go Oshie or Carlson. Carlson has always been here and he showed a lot this playoffs. Let's not forget when he tried to fight the whole Knights team at the end of the 2nd period in game 5. I loved that. He's a leader. Wouldn't mind if it was Nisky though either, I just think Carlson makes more sense.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Following the very telling passing of the cup - it's Niskanen.

But I would like to see one TJ Oshie.

Reactions: romao

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Following the very telling passing of the cup - it's Niskanen.

Some of that could have been simple seniority. Niskanen is 31 with 10 years in the NHL. The only guys with more experience were Ovie (12 years) and Orpik (14 years).

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Carlson’s personality seems more quiet and reserved. Sometimes you find leaders with those traits but overall it’s rare. #2 is the clear choice here imo.

Jun 15, 2007
Didn't Oshie have a letter before? How did Orpik end up getting it?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
ok...I am not sure where to find this but who wore the A in the playoffs when Orpik was suspended?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Has to be Kuzy, they rode all the way to the clinching game on his giant balls.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oshie wore it in G6 vs Pittsburgh but not the Tampa games that Backstrom missed.

Best player. Best leader. Best person to have as an official captain/alt captain are all different things. Remember that those 3 players are the only 3 allowed by rule to talk to the referee. Who the actual leaders are in the locker room can be different or there can be more than just the 3. Niskanen and Oshie and Wilson are leadership in the room along with Ov, Backstrom and Orpik. Oprik was probably the defacto team captain until this season. See who the media gets the game quotes from. Til recently it was rarely Ovechkin. That was one of the differences in this year's Ov and this playoffs Ov. He was the guy speaking for the team. Remember when it was Brooks Laich that spoke for the team? Or Karl Alzner? Or Mike Knuble?

For the official 3 its a good idea to have at least 1 who's first language is English.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad