Who gets the most credit: Yzerman or BriseBois?

Which GM is most responsible for the 2020 Tampa Bay Cup Victory?

• Total voters

BennetAintInit

Sep 7, 2018
Fl.
Has anyone considered the possibility that Yzermans liberal use of NT, NM's with Tampa was all part of his plan to impede after his departure? Meanwhile, he builds another cupworthy team in Detroit. He was always going to end up in Detroit. Same Division/Conference. Seems relevant.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Has anyone considered the possibility that Yzermans liberal use of NT, NM's with Tampa was all part of his plan to impede after his departure? Meanwhile, he builds another cupworthy team in Detroit. He was always going to end up in Detroit. Same Division/Conference. Seems relevant.

no because if covid 19 doesn’t hit then it’s not much of an issue to trade johnson or killorn as the cap would be 84 million at least and the nhl revenues would be fine due to fans in attendance

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Goofy. By the time Yzerman has enough talent to actually compete all those NTCs/NMCs are gone anyway. The Red Wings will be bad for a long time yet.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Goofy. By the time Yzerman has enough talent to actually compete all those NTCs/NMCs are gone anyway. The Red Wings will be bad for a long time yet.

how many years till you think Yzerman makes them a cup contender?

Discipline

Oct 14, 2019
North Carolina

These conspiracies get more wacky by the day.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
SFY/JFBB is the perfect combo to me. Yzerman's flair and strictness to build a solid core from almost nothing. And then Brisebois taking over with a much more "win-now" aggressive but still masterful strategy. I think it's fairly possible we wouldn't have won the Cup without the addition of their respective skills.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I think that came down to Palat. We've seen Kucherov dominate in the playoffs before, specifically in 2015. And, lo and behold, his linemate that year was Ondrej Palat. I think he opens up a lot of ice for Kucherov specifically, and then Brayden Point takes the trio to a whole different level.

For all the talk about size and toughness, the actual toughness/grit that mattered came from the top line. They scored a pretty ridiculous amount of our goals. We didn't get much depth scoring at all, which has always been the case for us in the playoffs, but normally we see our top scorers flatline. That didn't happen this year, and that was the difference. Lots of credit to Jon Cooper, lots of credit to Ondrej Palat.

Also... something has to be said for just flat out getting older and more mature. We were ready to do "whatever it took" to win this cup, and that was very clear from the outset (5 OTs played about as adherent to a structure as is possible).

I'm so glad we got to see this.

I'm starting to rewatch the playoffs campaign and it's unbelievable how you can notice many details that make a ton of difference when you're calm and collected. Palat is the absolute king of such little things, he was playing amazing hockey in these playoffs.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Honestly, the answer might be Jon Cooper. He got our stars to play with a level of fierceness/tenacity they'd never reached before.

Two major factors: Healthy Palat and fully developed Brayden Point. We've never had these at the same time.
Sergachev playing 23 decent minutes also. It's incredible how we didn't notice [me included] we had for the 1st time, no weak defensive pairing, in the playoffs in the Coop era.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I thought JBB was the numbers/contract guy? No?

Isn't he just as responsible for those contracts?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Ducks Murray or Burke?
Hawks Tallon or Bowman?
Pens (last 2) Shero or JR?

The former GMs did a lot of the leg work, but the GMs who took them over the top get the credit.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah either a tie or slight edge to Yzerman. You can't underestimate the importance of those tweaks, but you also can't underestimate the foundation. I'm stumped.
Habs fan here. IMO? Adding “grit” to the team Yserman left you is basically child’s play. Trading Drouin for Sergachev? That my friends is genius.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Habs fan here. IMO? Adding “grit” to the team Yserman left you is basically child’s play. Trading Drouin for Sergachev? That my friends is genius.
But drafting Drouin over Jones was stupid. The trade for Sergachev was just correcting that error.

Reactions: cphabs

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
But drafting Drouin over Jones was stupid. The trade for Sergachev was just correcting that error.
I guess they were looking for a Marty replacement / playmaker to play with Stamkos going forward. Nobody was expecting Kuch or a Point (who wasn’t even drafted yet) to come in and become superstars at the time.

For perspective: Our top-6 back then was Marty, Vinny, Stammer, Teddy Purcell, Cory Conacher and Ryan Malone / Benoit Pouliot. Johnson, Palat and Killorn just made the team (during the season) as rookies.

Last edited:

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I love Yzerman, but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have traded for Goodrow and Coleman at the deadline for that price.

And I'm not positive that we would end up winning the cup without those two.
Overall I tend to give both a lot of credits, but I feel like JFBB is the one that tipped the scale for us to attein success, so I give JFBB the edge on this

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I love Yzerman, but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have traded for Goodrow and Coleman at the deadline for that price.

And I'm not positive that we would end up winning the cup without those two.
Overall I tend to give both a lot of credits, but I feel like JFBB is the one that tipped the scale for us to attein success, so I give JFBB the edge on this
Are you positive JBB would have traded up to get Brayden Point? Because that was a much, much bigger factor in the cup win.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Are you positive JBB would have traded up to get Brayden Point? Because that was a much, much bigger factor in the cup win.
Scouts should get most of the merit for that, not Yzerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad