Who gets the most credit: Yzerman or BriseBois?

Which GM is most responsible for the 2020 Tampa Bay Cup Victory?

• Total voters

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
First off, congrats on the Stanley Cup. Your team won a cup under the most extreme circumstances in modern day history, and they did it without their franchise player, and against a series of opponents who were pretty much completely healthy, all while loosing your home ice advantage in 3 out of 4 series.

I'm just curious, from a GM standpoint, who do you give the most credit to?

Personally I think its tricky. Yzerman obviously created the foundation of this team minus Stamkos/Hedman (though Stamkos wasnt a factor to be fair), however, during Yzerman's tenure, he couldnt close the deal. BriseBois was able to put the finishing touches on a team that actually took them to the promise land so to speak. As a Wings fan it reminds me of what Bowman was able to do, its one thing to lay groundwork, its another to finish. Also, its a lot easier to finish a job that already 80% done.

I'm very interested in the debate. Again, congrats.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
On a more serious note: Yzerman left a good team in place, no doubt. He also left us with contracts that gave us a bit more cap flexibility (arguably a bit below market value in cap hit). But now they handcuff us pretty badly, he handed out NTCs and NMCs left and right. But the biggest knock on SFY is probably that he insisted to have a fast, skilled but small forward group backed by a big and mobile but not necessarily tough defense.

Once JFBB took over he almost instantly adjusted, paid hefty prices to inject grittiness, toughness and resilience as well as leadership and character into the lineup and with playoff hockey in mind. His acquisitions fit in right away, they are all good skaters with good puckhandling ability so he did not add in one department while downgrading in another. I'm not sure we'd be the 2020 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS if he had stuck with the recipe and team that SFY left behind.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
BB brought in the toughness, grit, sandpaper, and tenacity it takes to win the gauntlet. The signings of Maroon, Bogosian, Schenn, and trading for Goodrow and Coleman is what pushed the team to the cup. I bet Perry and Pavelski wished they gave us a chance now... Lets rest up and gear up for next season. We have some tough decisions ahead.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
JFBB does. Dude stood pat his first year -not that I can blame him. But that was SFY almost every year. His idea of improving the team was doing nothing and bringing in guys like Kunitz and Morrow. Reminds me of "Gruden won with Dungy's team"

Dawg... Dungy couldn't win with Dungy's team

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think it's still Yzerman. He built a core that will last for years to come. BriseBois made the final moves to go all the way but I think you gotta go with Yzerman.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah either a tie or slight edge to Yzerman. You can't underestimate the importance of those tweaks, but you also can't underestimate the foundation. I'm stumped.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Trading up to get Point in the 3rd round might turn out to be the biggest trade in franchise history. Kucherov in the second round. Palat in the seventh. That's the line that dominated the playoffs, all drafted by Yzerman/Murray.

JBB did a great job, and I have total faith that he will continue to do a great job , but the guys who really delivered for us were already in place.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yzerman put in place the cap structure that I think has allowed us to stay competitive. Yeah, we don't like the NTCs and NMCs, but we damn sure like extending Brayden Point for less than 7 million dollars instead of just forgoing negotiation altogether a la Dubas.

Reactions: DFC

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Trading up to get Point in the 3rd round might turn out to be the biggest trade in franchise history. Kucherov in the second round. Palat in the seventh. That's the line that dominated the playoffs, all drafted by Yzerman/Murray.

JBB did a great job, and I have total faith that he will continue to do a great job , but the guys who really delivered for us were already in place.

To be fair JBB was there for all of that too pretty much and not sure who was the one who really pulled for Point. In reality it's a team effort from management and scouting.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
BB brought in the toughness, grit, sandpaper, and tenacity it takes to win the gauntlet. The signings of Maroon, Bogosian, Schenn, and trading for Goodrow and Coleman is what pushed the team to the cup. I bet Perry and Pavelski wished they gave us a chance now... Lets rest up and gear up for next season. We have some tough decisions ahead.

EXACTLY!

Reactions: Master P

PRZ45MD

Aug 11, 2016

That's one of the best draft trade-ups ever. But I still take Downey > COL > Quincey > DET > 1st Rounder eventually becoming Vasilevsky as my personal favorite and most important trade.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
That's one of the best draft trade-ups ever. But I still take Downey > COL > Quincey > DET > 1st Rounder eventually becoming Vasilevsky as my personal favorite and most important trade.

These boards were not happy that day, including me. Lol

Reactions: PRZ45MD

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Honestly, the answer might be Jon Cooper. He got our stars to play with a level of fierceness/tenacity they'd never reached before.

Two major factors: Healthy Palat and fully developed Brayden Point. We've never had these at the same time.

I see what you are saying, but my question is from the perspective of building the team. Who is most responsible in general is an entirely different question and could include Owership, GM's, the head coach, players, etc.

Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com
Congratulations To all the organisation of the Tampa Bay Lightning and fans Young and old To this great Victory.

Now everyone need To study this model of cap space imputed by an 9 millions Forward during the playoffs. Lolll

Screenshot_20200930-053611_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->