Speculation: Who gets qualified?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Obviously we'll know for sure in a few hours here, but outside of the obvious (Mantha and Bertuzzi), who else gets qualified?

Madison Bowey - $1M (can be a two-way)
Christoffer Ehn - $735k (can be a two-way)
Adam Erne - $997.5k (can be a two-way)
Taro Hirose - $874,125 (can be a two-way)
Brendan Perlini - $917,831 (can be a two-way)
Dmytro Timashov - $735k (can be a two-way)
Kyle Wood - $735k (can be a two-way)

I feel like under normal circumstances, they would all be qualified. However given the uncertainly with the AHL for next season, I feel like they'll cut bait with a good number of them since they won't have place to go if they don't make the NHL team. I think Bowey, Ehn Hirose, and Timashov are for sure getting qualified, while Erne and Perlini are a toss up, and Wood for sure doesn't get a QO.

What are you're predictions?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hirose, Ehn, Timashov. I'd have kept Biega over Bowey, but if Yzerman plans on going shopping this summer, I don't really see a spot for Bowey.

Reactions: Peter Tosh

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These qualifyings really won't matter on the big picture.

They have let players not qualified, because they write just a different style of deal.

All will be re-signed, except Perlini. That's my gut feeling.

Re-signing is what will matter.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm guessing Yzerman didn't want to chance Bowey going to arbitration where his agent could argue he deserves a big raise because he was one of two RW Dmen to put up double digit points at even strength :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Bowey was exposed to waivers last season without getting claimed. Not surprised that he won’t get qualified

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Please let this be the end of the Bowey experiment... no QO, but a chance to sign in FA? Noooooooo.

Wait, what happened to Biega?

Your list is my list, maybe add Wood.

Biega got extended for another year (@ $875k) right before the season got postponed.

I figured Bowey would stick around because at the very least he could be an offensive stud for the Griffins (same goes for Perlini), but with the AHL season possibly not happening that may not be a possibility.

Then again, as has been pointed out, they can still sign Bowey before or after free agency starts for less than his QO if they want to.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Biega got extended for another year (@ $875k) right before the season got postponed.

I figured Bowey would stick around because at the very least he could be an offensive stud for the Griffins (same goes for Perlini), but with the AHL season possibly not happening that may not be a possibility.

Then again, as has been pointed out, they can still sign Bowey before or after free agency starts for less than his QO if they want to.

I keep forgetting about the signings hat happened mid-season... almost like we haven't seen the Wings play for 6 months.

Thank you.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I keep forgetting about the signings hat happened mid-season... almost like we haven't seen the Wings play for 6 months.

Thank you.
I hear that... I pretty much dropped hockey as a whole until the SCF, then had to review the season to even remember who was on the Red Wings roster... "Oh yea, I remember that Goloubef guy..."

Reactions: RedMenace

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Saving money seems to have become more of a priority for the team (SY’s comment about replacing Abdelkader with someone cheaper). Prospects also going to Europe instead of AHL. I see a scenario where minor league deals are focused more on players who could actually sub in the big club in case of injury. PTOs to Perlini, Erne, Bowey after not qualifying them could be realistic, but qualifying Ehn and Timashov who are cheaper options. SY have invested in Wood, and maybe sees something in him, and Hirose have shown some promise in the past. My guess is that they also gets qualified.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I probably wouldn't qualify him, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Perlini back to get a fresh start in GR if the AHL does end up having a season.

When I watched some of the black holes at forward this past year, Perlini seemed like he might still have some upside, but might benefit from a confidence boost from tearing up the AHL for a good chunk of the season. He'd probably make a decent replacement for somebody like Terry or Puempel, and since he's 4 pro games shy of 260, he won't count as a vet and put them in a situation where they have to rotate him and guys like Hicketts, Turgeon, McIlrath, Lashoff and Elson in and out of the line up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad