Who gets paid more? Point or Marner? And how much?

Who gets More money?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Point is a center who already has 35 goals.
More important position, more goals scored.
On pace for 107 points.

Marner has 21 goals on pace for 98 points as a winger.

Point should get paid more.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Who should get more or who will get more? Those are two different questions. I think they're worth very very similar contracts.

But Point probably gets ~1.5M less, or a similar caphit but with an extra ~3 years of term.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner because Dubas seems to hand out more money per contract on average than other GM except for Chiarelli
Unfortunately no player on Tampa makes double digits. Kucherov on an absolute tear is coming in at 9.5 next year. When you look at the surrounding stars, Point might come in comparable.

Marner is looking at 2 11 million players and a 7 in Nylander. So we probably end up paying more.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly, I think Point will get OS and be the highest paid RFAs this summer. I just don’t see how the tax advantage and signing bonuses can out weight 4-6mil. From Cap friendly, TB will gain 11.2mil. That’s a total of 12.2mil plus the 800k of Point, that’s 13mil. Say they replace those 3dmen with cheap signings that still will cost 2mil. Then they will have 11mil to sign Point. Oops, Forgot about Gourde, his increase is 4.17mil. At the end, TB have 6.83mil to sign Point.
So unless they trade away salary, there is no way Point will sign for 6.84mil regardless of signing bonuses and tax.... bc if that’s the number that Point is willing to sign, he would have signed the extension by now.
Pretty sure Lou and Trotz is picking their chops now, looking at both the Jets and TB and see which one they can trade with and which one to OS.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Marner by at least $1M per if on the same term, although I can see point taking a true bridge because Tampa may run out of Cap room for a long term deal.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
That being said it's up to Dubas to set the price and not bend. Is it a risk yes but nothing ventured nothing gained. If he showed more fortitude and let Nylander sit the season I bet the Matthews and Marner camp would be changing their tone but he lost the game of chicken and now is paying for it across the board. I expect the Marner contract to come in at 11.616 x 5.

Dubas also could have called out the Toronto media for inflating contracts with their constant focus on Toronto RFAs but choose to be nice guy and be cordial with the media. Dubas should be held accountable for all his contracts he gives out.
Personally I don't mind that he bends and our superstars are half a million overpaid. It sucks, but it's better than losing even one superstar.

I agree that someone, probably higher than dubas(shanahan?) needs to tell the media to piss off. The media is honestly so ridiculous and hurts a lot more than they help.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marner by at least $1M per if on the same term, although I can see point taking a true bridge because Tampa may run out of Cap room for a long term deal.
I don't see Point accepting a bridge deal. He's proven and wants to get paid big. RFA's would be insane to take a bridge in today's era, you can get maximum $$$'s straight out of an ELC.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Spoiler. It doesn’t.

Maybe he's confusing it from this article about Tavares?

John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract

Residency
Most of the time, when a player is on a good NHL team (i.e., one that goes deep into the playoffs) he is forced to become a resident of his team's town/state/country due to his extended presence there. But because so many of Tavares’ road games will be in the US, with careful planning, Tavares could avoid Ontario’s combined federal/provincial 53.53% tax rate by remaining a US resident.
Article XVI of the US-Canada tax treaty states that signing bonuses paid to a resident of the US by a Canadian team are taxed at 15% in Canada, and vice versa for US teams paying bonuses to Canadian residents.

That certainly won't apply to Marner (nor maybe even Tavares). In this article "resident" means "tax resident". The article also say he would need to do other things to still qualify as a US Tax resident which I'm not sure Tavares has or will do, but again, it doesn't apply to Marner.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

That certainly won't apply to Marner (nor maybe even Tavares). In this article "resident" means "tax resident". The article also say he would need to do other things to still qualify as a US Tax resident which I'm not sure Tavares has or will do, but again, it doesn't apply to Marner.

Even that article says that one would get taxed at a 42 percent blended rate. Tampa signing bonuses get taxed at a 0 percent rate

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Even that article says that one would get taxed at a 42 percent blended rate. Tampa signing bonuses get taxed at a 0 percent rate

Correct and I agree fully. I wasn't trying to imply that they were anywhere near taxes in Florida, I was just suggesting that this article may have been where his confusion came from.

Either way, Tavares's situation doesn't apply to Marner.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Tax implications make things difficult to compare.

If signed in the same market, Point would get more than Marner and rightly so. With the tax issue, Marner may end up signing at a similar or higher cap hit.

Stevie Y explaining how to negotiate to Julien BriseBois before he stepped down as GM.

Steve: Think about it. Tampa players are out in the middle of nowhere with some dudes they barely know. they look around, what do they see? Nothing but open ocean. “Oh, there’s nowhere for me to run, what am I gonna do, say no?”
Brisebois: Okay…that seems really dark though.
Steve: No, no, it’s not dark. You’re misunderstanding me, bro.
Brisebois: I think I am.
Steve: Yeah, you are. ‘Cause if the Player said no to the deal, then the answer obviously is no. The thing is that he's not gonna say no, he’d never say no…because of the implication.
Brisebois: Now, you said that word “implication” a couple of times. What implication?
Steve: The implication that things might go wrong for him if he refuses to sign with me. Now, not that things are gonna go wrong for him, but he’s thinking that they will.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden

How sure are you? Would you bet your life on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad