Who gets medals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devsjunkie

Dec 22, 2005
Chilltown, N.J.
About eight diehard hockey fans I know and I have been wondering ... from teams getting medals who gets them?

Do you have to have played in the final game? Or is it the medal round? Or is just seeing action at some point in the tournament?

Anyone know for sure?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
devsjunkie said:
About eight diehard hockey fans I know and I have been wondering ... from teams getting medals who gets them?

Do you have to have played in the final game? Or is it the medal round? Or is just seeing action at some point in the tournament?

Anyone know for sure?

Niklas Kronwall said that if Mattias Öhlund doesn't get one, he will give him his gold medal. Classy guy.

devsjunkie

Dec 22, 2005
Chilltown, N.J.
Freudian said:
Niklas Kronwall said that if Mattias Öhlund doesn't get one, he will give him his gold medal. Classy guy.

That is very classy. These hockey guys can say and do some very cool things for their teammates.
I hope Öhlund can get his own though.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
devsjunkie said:

Anyone know for sure?

During the ceremony, I thought I heard JD say "That is the third string goalie (not dressed) of the Swedes getting his medal..." or something to that effect.

devsjunkie

Dec 22, 2005
Chilltown, N.J.
SensGuy said:
I think you have to play atleast one game to get a medal.

Will Hasek get a Bronze one? Not sure if he would count.

Yeah, that's what we were wondering. Well not Hasek. Some other guy who played for the Czechs for less than a game...

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
SensGuy said:
I think you have to play atleast one game to get a medal.

Will Hasek get a Bronze one? Not sure if he would count.

I think it's dressing for any game during the tournament. Ed Belfour got a medal last Olympics, and he didn't play, but he did warm the bench for a game.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
If I wasn't mistaken, I saw Stefan Liv in street clothes standing in the line getting a gold medal. He played in the first game against Kazakhstan but Tellqvist was the backup to Lundqvist the majority of the way. That makes 6 Red Wings players/prospects to get gold medals and Robert Lang picked up a bronze on Saturday. Great weekend for the Red Wings! :handclap:

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It could be that all 23 players on the roster gets a medal. With the introduction of the "taxi squad," that kind of makes things interesting though.

When CIS won the gold medal in 1992, Khabibulin was given a gold medal for being a 3rd goaltender. I'm not sure if he played a game or not in those Olympics, however the fact that Viktor Tikhonov took his medal suggests to me that he may not have played at all.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Tricolore#20 said:
When CIS won the gold medal in 1992, Khabibulin was given a gold medal for being a 3rd goaltender. I'm not sure if he played a game or not in those Olympics, however the fact that Viktor Tikhonov took his medal suggests to me that he may not have played at all.
Nope, he didn't dress at all. They didn't even get him on the ice for the medal ceremony. He didn't get his gold until Fetisov saw to it that one was made for him and given to him during the games in Salt Lake. If things are still the same, there should be a medal for every guy who's on the roster and anyone who plays as a replacement.

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
TSN has something on their website that says Ohlund may not get a medal cause of not playing in the final.

Because he didn't play in the final, Ohlund would not normally get a medal. The Swedes will try to get him one anyway, but if that fails, Kronwall said he would gladly give his to the Canucks' blue-liner.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
phillypensfan said:
TSN has something on their website that says Ohlund may not get a medal cause of not playing in the final.
Sami Salo got a medal, so Öhlund should get a medal too.

BCCHL inactive

You know what pisses me off? Coaches don't get medals. I know the Olympics is participants only, but as far as I see it, coaches for team sports are participants. They are on the scoresheet for each game and they can take penalties. Is that not participating?

That, and coaches for individuals train their athletes to be the best they can be for themselves, and however they finish is entirely up to the athlete. Everything individual is a race. Even for relay races, there are four participants maximum on a team. It takes so much more effort for a coach in hockey to get 23 guys on the same page, and it's even harder in an event like this where your 23 players are only playing together for that 2-week span.

So yes, give the hockey coaches a medal too.

As for players, if you were on the scoresheet and dressed for one game during round robin or the medal round, you should get a medal.

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
I'm not saying Ohlund shouldn't get one,just posting what TSN has on their site is all. Ohlund will end up with a medal either way,if he gets one like he deserves,and if not then Kronwall is going to give his to him. Classy kid.

''If he doesn't end up getting another medal, I'm offering him the medal,'' said Kronwall. ''I feel he deserves it more than I do.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->