Who gets fired/shipped first?

Who's fired/traded first?

• Total voters

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
The leaguewide reputation of leafs nation is not that we unfairly criticize our great teams. It's quite the opposite. It's that we think our mediocre teams are far better than they really are.

I love that the people who think they are enlightened and above the leaf fan stereotype, are actually the ones who are caricatures of it.

You couldn't be more right.

Reactions: yubbers

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Don't want to be THAT guy, but shouldn't you wait and see what happens with the rest of the season and playoffs?
Our "bad play" currently has us 5TH in the entire NHL and we are 19 games over .500.
Plenty of things to discuss, but posts like this make me embarrassed to be a Leafs fan.

Sheesh. Hope this is an ironic thread?

It is

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The leaguewide reputation of leafs nation is not that we unfairly criticize our great teams. It's quite the opposite. It's that we think our mediocre teams are far better than they really are.

I love that the people who think they are enlightened and above the leaf fan stereotype, are actually the ones who are caricatures of it.

the reputation of Leaf fans is ridiculous kneejerk overreactions to everything. Look in the mirror.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The playoffs haven't started. So we need to fire someone because we didn't have playoff success this year then? Logic...

He says in the OP we need to fire someone because of how bad we are. Only people who feel we are bad have unrealistic expectations. We went 7 games against Boston last year and were the underdog. The problem for us is the playoff format. We will keep drawing another top team in the first and second round.
That's not a "problem" it's an excuse. You beat the team you play.

I'm not hopeful we're going to have playoff success this year. I feel the team has regressed.

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
If Leafs don’t beat Boston in the first Shanahan should be fired. That would make it 5 years without a playoff with Shanahan as president. Not acceptable.

It’s embarrassing that his seat isn’t hot, and it just goes to show he is a great politician. He has many fooled.

View attachment 201119

He did say a 5 year rebuild, we’ve been ahead of the plan the last 3 years. The rebuild got pushed ahead once we had Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all in the line up and signing Tavares this year. Shannahan has done more for the organization then anyone has the past 60 years

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
That's not a "problem" it's an excuse. You beat the team you play.

I'm not hopeful we're going to have playoff success this year. I feel the team has regressed.
It's not an excuse. We draw the second overall team and then the first overall team.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Likely gonna draw at least one of them anyway. Ya gotta beat the best to be the best.
This is obviously true but you don't want to draw them early. If you beat them it's likely in 7 games so by the time you reach round 3, you would have played 13-14 games. I miss the 1v8, 2v7 matchups. I know why they do it but I found the old format was the best one in sports.

Reactions: Cobra777

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
ultimately it’s way, way easier to find an above average coache in the offseason than it is to find new prime NHL talent.
hypothetically, who replaces Babcock? I know who the Leaf GM would pick, and I'm pretty sure Babcock's a much better coach than Sheldon Keefe.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
This is obviously true but you don't want to draw them early. If you beat them it's likely in 7 games so by the time you reach round 3, you would have played 13-14 games. I miss the 1v8, 2v7 matchups. I know why they do it but I found the old format was the best one in sports.
I agree the format needs to be fixed but it is what it is. I also suspect that if the shoe was on the other foot (If the MET division had superior teams) not one Leaf fan would complain about it.

Or we could play better during the regular season and be the number one team....

Reactions: yubbers and rumman

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I agree the format needs to be fixed but it is what it is. I also suspect that if the shoe was on the other foot (If the MET division had superior teams) not one Leaf fan would complain about it.

Or we could play better during the regular season and be the number one team....
Well we won't be the number one team, Tampa is insane. We knew that. But I said as soon as this format came out that it was bad, long before we were like this. It all depends on how good your division is now but they want to build rivalries.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Yup, hot start is clouding things. They haven't been good in a while and are getting progressively worse

I'm not in the naive "still top 5, things are fine!" camp, but the 'hot start' argument is dishonest. That 'hot start' lasted 2 months. It wasn't a brief mirage where they overachieved or got lucky for a while like Buffalo's 10-game win streak. Playing your best hockey earlier in the season isn't ideal, but a win in October/November counts just as much as a win in March.

However, that's not to say that hovering around .500 since then and how they've played the past week in particular isn't concerning, but I would argue that's more about the team underachieving than showing their true colours. At least, I hope it is.

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Are you serious? What is this crap by fair? You are going to reward the team that wins the most in the conference a regular season by forcing them to go up against the second best team? Meanwhile the teams that were crap and barely squeaked into the playoffs get the luxury of having to go up against each other?

Blaming Dubas for these problems, as you did before, is also laughable...
ok. so how is that any different than the way we have it now? by first round, 2 of the top 4 teams are out anyways....
I am not blaming Dubas, I am saying he has made some big blunders this season.

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Hope you're joking. 1 should ever face 2 in the first round. But the fact we have 2 top 5 teams in he league potentially facing eachother in the first round then you likely get the best team in the league?
how is it much different than the current situation? Tampa will beat Canadians...both are top 4.
and then a 2 and 3 meet...either the 2nd best or 3rd go ... it's all the same.
should we go back to 1 vs 8? 2 vs 7?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
hypothetically, who replaces Babcock? I know who the Leaf GM would pick, and I'm pretty sure Babcock's a much better coach than Sheldon Keefe.

If you want a big name, there’s Quenneville. Keefe is definitely near the top the of the list of “up and comers” though when you look at articles written about other teams contemplating coaching changes.

Imo a coach can be “good” in an abstract sense but can also at the same time be a bad fit for a certain team. I’m not necessarily saying that applies to a babcock but overall it’s a lot easier to bring in a coach who may have better chemistry with the players than to rebuild an entire roster to fit the desires of a single coach.

Edit:wonky grammar

Last edited:

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
how is it much different than the current situation? Tampa will beat Canadians...both are top 4.
and then a 2 and 3 meet...either the 2nd best or 3rd go ... it's all the same.
should we go back to 1 vs 8? 2 vs 7?
No it's not, upsets happen you know? And it gives you an easier first round opponent which yes does matter.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If you want a big name, there’s Quenneville. Keefe is definitely near the top the of the list of “up and comers” though when you look at articles written about other teams contemplating coaching changes.

Imo a coach can be “good” in an abstract sense but can also be same time be a bad fit for a certain team. I’m not necessarily saying that applies to a babcock but overall it’s a lot easier to bring in a coach who may have better chemistry with the players than to rebuild an entire roster to fit the desires of a single coach.
true that. I don't see Quenneville being anymore accommodating to the whims of the GM that Babcock, they're both old school coaches who don't take kindly to suggestions on how they should coach. Keefe isa obivious choice, he's the GM's boy, but has zero NHL coaching experience which imo is vital (see Dallas Eakins). So who else is there that's going to be able to get a bunch of highly skilled kids to reach their potential without ruffling any of their sensitive feathers?

Last edited:

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Well we won't be the number one team, Tampa is insane. We knew that. But I said as soon as this format came out that it was bad, long before we were like this. It all depends on how good your division is now but they want to build rivalries.
But this team should be better this year with this roster. Hence my disdain for Mr. Babcock.

A good coach gets more of out this team. A great coach gets a team with this roster far in the playoffs.

We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad