Who Generates the Baseline Stats?

Busted Biscuits

Feb 5, 2019
I know there are several stats sites referenced throughout the boards and they all seem to provide similar stats with a few fancy aggregations thrown in here an there. My question is where are these sites getting their base stats from. Is it straight from NHL? Are there other organizations actually generating and recording base stats?

I am asking because I am working on tool for programmatic retrieval of stats that interest me and I want to work as close to the source as possible.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
I know there are several stats sites referenced throughout the boards and they all seem to provide similar stats with a few fancy aggregations thrown in here an there. My question is where are these sites getting their base stats from. Is it straight from NHL? Are there other organizations actually generating and recording base stats?

I am asking because I am working on tool for programmatic retrieval of stats that interest me and I want to work as close to the source as possible.

I scrape everything from NHL.com - using my own, written in Perl. It is available on CPAN. AFAIK, Python and R scrapers exist as well.

Busted Biscuits

Feb 5, 2019
Thanks for the replies; they were very helpful. I think I am going to go against the NHL APIs and put together a small library (in Python) for retrieving what I'm after. Depending on how it turns out I may put it out there for anyone else who may be interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad