Speculation: Who does Yzerman steal from Tampa Bay?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I thought you had to be cap compliant to start the season, meaning that the Wings would need to be at 83 Million including LTIR. As soon as the season starts, they get put on LTIR, and gain that cap space after Day 1 to replace them.

The 10% exception is for off-season only, so that teams can make some signings/trades but the expectation is that they clear that overage before Day 1.

No you don't. Here's an article on it: How the Flyers can maximize their cap space

I've read it on Twitter and in news articles numerous times ... "the Flyers must wait until Day 1 of the regular season before placing Pronger on LTIR," or something to that effect.

The truth is the Flyers do not have to wait until the first day of the regular season to place Pronger on LTIR. Which means they do not have to shed any cap space in order to become cap compliant. As always, the devil is in the details.

The Flyers have two options when it comes to LTIR; use it on the last day of training camp, or use it on the first day of the regular season. The timing is the key difference.

OPTION 1: Build the injured player into their opening-day roster and have that roster fit as close to the upper limit as possible without exceeding it, then place the player on LTIR.
OPTION 2: Put the injured player on LTIR on the final day of training camp and, including the injured player's annual average salary or cap hit, build a roster that exceeds the upper limit by an amount that is as close as possible to the injured player's annual average salary.

The Red Wings have used option 2 for the past 2-3 offseasons. You do not have to be cap compliant prior to the season starting, as you are allowed a 10% overage in the offseason. There is an advantage to using option 1 rather than option 2 (as the article details) but it is not necessary.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
No you don't. Here's an article on it: How the Flyers can maximize their cap space

The Red Wings have used option 2 for the past 2-3 offseasons. You do not have to be cap compliant prior to the season starting, as you are allowed a 10% overage in the offseason.

Thanks. I'm reading up on it on Capfriendly as well. Seems like the wings are fine.

I didn't realize you could put a player on LTIR on the last day of training camp. I thought you had to put them on LTIR day 1 of the season.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What? I don't get it. Why is Detroit sending TB a pick in this scenario...and why do two separate trades need to be made to get Callahan to DET?

Everyone keeps saying how Tampa dropping from 27th to what ever spot in the 2nd round to dump Callahan isn't enough. I was showing a scenario where it really is enough. Typically to move up to 27 from 35 would need another late 2nd, so essentially Detroit does that trade with one of the NY or SJ 2nds. Tampa then sends that pick back along with Callahan for future considerations, which will be nothing in reality. The deal will just be Callahan + 27 for the 35, I was just showing that the value to dump Callahan for Tampa eowou be that SJ or NY 2nd.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Thanks. I'm reading up on it on Capfriendly as well. Seems like the wings are fine.

I didn't realize you could put a player on LTIR on the last day of training camp. I thought you had to put them on LTIR day 1 of the season.

Yeah, it's very confusing. If you search the internet there are contradicting articles in which some say you have to be cap compliant before the season starts and some say you don't so it's not exactly super clear lol. All I know is the Wings have been able to spend over the cap for 2-3 offseasons now, and then go back under the cap with LTIR when the season starts....so I know it's definitely possible from experience here.

Reactions: angry pirate

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Everyone keeps saying how Tampa dropping from 27th to what ever spot in the 2nd round to dump Callahan isn't enough. I was showing a scenario where it really is enough. Typically to move up to 27 from 35 would need another late 2nd, so essentially Detroit does that trade with one of the NY or SJ 2nds. Tampa then sends that pick back along with Callahan for future considerations, which will be nothing in reality. The deal will just be Callahan + 27 for the 35, I was just showing that the value to dump Callahan for Tampa eowou be that SJ or NY 2nd.

... What?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Both Point and Vasi are RFA, he would never offer sheet his former team and they dont have the ammo to trade for them (Vasi on paper sure but Tampa isnt losing their #1 goalie)

Cant see either of them being options.
He 100% and absolutely would offer sheet his former team with no hesitation whatsoever if it made sense. He's all-in with Detroit - if an offer sheet makes strategic sense he won't not do it because it's his former team.

Not saying an offer sheet happens - but it's not impossible

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Often times, newly installed GM's will poach their old teams for talent. With Tampa Bay underachieving so hard this playoffs and some cap hurdles to come with Brayden Point and Andrei Vasilevskiy hitting restricted free agency, does Yzerman go after anybody on Tampa Bay to accelerate the build in Detroit?

He won't be stealing anyone . If they are under contract he has to be the highest biding RFA ? With Florida state tax they have a leg up . UFA ? Well anyone can sign them so he not stealing them .

Yakupov64

Dec 25, 2017
Both Point and Vasi are RFA, he would never offer sheet his former team and they dont have the ammo to trade for them (Vasi on paper sure but Tampa isnt losing their #1 goalie)

Cant see either of them being options.
Try reading it one more time. I bite my thumb at thee

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wouldnt be surprised if he took a player off our hands and took a pick or something to do it for free. He knows our situation better than any and I bet he still has a little vetted interest in seeing them continue to do well even though they are in the same division. I think Detroit still needs a rebuild year and he knows that. He will take advantage of TBs situation but will help them and get something to help their rebuild. I dont think it would be shocking to anybody to see something like that happen.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Out of idle curiosity, can you cite an example of this?
Jason Botterill brought Conor Sheary, Scott Wilson and Matt Hunwick to Buffalo from Pittsburgh.

I don't know why, but he did...and, unfortunately, I'm sure he's not done.

He also brought guys to Rochester that he had in Wilkes-Barre, like Porter, Gill, Percy, Krause and Goers.

(Tim Murray did the same thing bringing Lehner, Legwand, Grant, Meszaros and Benoit from Ottawa...and Schneider, Akeson, O'Dell, Guptill and Sdao from Binghamton.)

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
Not worth it. Point is certainly a good player, but he gets overrated. Like Namestnikov was.

Who overrates him? The guy gets buried behind Kucherov & Stamkos but just goes about his business to put up 92 points in his 3rd year. People who actually know what they’re talking about will tell you how valuable he is to the team, more than just statistics. Namestnikov benefited from riding along Stamkos/Kuch & Yzerman was smart enough to trade him with max value. Everyone could see he couldn’t drive his own line.

Saying Point is overrated like Namestnikov is such a lazy and false statement.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Who overrates him? The guy gets buried behind Kucherov & Stamkos but just goes about his business to put up 92 points in his 3rd year. People who actually know what they’re talking about will tell you how valuable he is to the team, more than just statistics. Namestnikov benefited from riding along Stamkos/Kuch & Yzerman was smart enough to trade him with max value. Everyone could see he couldn’t drive his own line.

Saying Point is overrated like Namestnikov is such a lazy and false statement.
He’s going to be paid like a 90 pts scorer but put him to the Wings and his production will drop significantly

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I’ve long suspected that Callahan and a pick will get moved to Detroit to help TB free up some cap space. Beyond that I don’t really see any players on Tampa’s roster being targets for Detroit. I could see Yzerman maybe claiming a young guy if TB puts someone in waivers he’s keen on, sort of like how he grabbed Mattias Ritola from Detroit when he first took over as TB GM. Who are some guys that might be on waiver for TB that they just don’t have room for?

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I’ve long suspected that Callahan and a pick will get moved to Detroit to help TB free up some cap space. Beyond that I don’t really see any players on Tampa’s roster being targets for Detroit. I could see Yzerman maybe claiming a young guy if TB puts someone in waivers he’s keen on, sort of like how he grabbed Mattias Ritola from Detroit when he first took over as TB GM. Who are some guys that might be on waiver for TB that they just don’t have room for?
Cory Conacher is the only player I see who we have under contract that will most likely hit waivers next season. If we re-sign Danick Martel or Carter Verhaeghe they could be on waivers as well.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Jim Rutherford trading for Ron Hainsey in Carolina, Marc Bergevin trading for Andrew Shaw in Montreal, Brian Burke trading for Jake Gardiner, Joffrey Lupul, JS Giguere and many others in Toronto, Lou Lamoriello acquiring Matt Martin and Leo Komarov on Long Island, Peter Chiarelli acquiring Zdeno Chara in Boston, Jason Botterill trading for Connor Sheary in Buffalo, etc. Peter Chiarelli acquiring Andrew Ference in Edmonton, Dale Tallon acquiring Kris Versteeg, David Bolland, Brian Campbell in Florida, etc.

Also Rick Dudley traded for Byfuglien and Ladd in Atlanta.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I could see Yzerman taking a flyer on a guy like Conacher. Him or Callahan is about all I realistically see him picking up.

Don’t know where Callahan will end up. But whatever team that gets him won’t be getting a cap dump. Will be getting a player who will help
You win games and help influence your younger guys how to play right and act .

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he might take Callahan.

When starting a rebuild, Yzerman's going to look for assets anywhere he can find them, same as he did for several years in TB. He and JBB should be in the same ballpark on the asset(s) attached to Callahan.

Likely to be a firesale on anybody close to 30 or older next February.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->