Who does your team draft #1?

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Assuming teams 2-5 win the lottery, who do you see them taking, or who would like your team to take?

I'm asking because I have a bad feeling Edmonton won't be lucky and win the lottery again this year.

So let's say the team listed below drafts #1 who do they take and why?

Edmonton
Colorado
Ottawa
Florida
NYI

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Assuming teams 2-5 win the lottery, who do you see them taking, or who would like your team to take?

I'm asking because I have a bad feeling Edmonton won't be lucky and win the lottery again this year.

So let's say the team listed below drafts #1 who do they take and why?

Edmonton
Colorado
Ottawa
Florida
NYI

I don't think losing the #1 pick would kill the Oilers. They have 2 holes in their prospect pool. #1 Center and #1 Dman. So, for them, either Larsson or RNH. I would take Larsson, but I can see them opting for RNH and moving at least 1 or 2 of their other smaller forwards.

Colorado - just acquired E. Johnson, so getting a #1 dman in Larsson isn't as important anymore, since they do have some young blueliners coming up the system. I'm guessing they would opt for RNH at #1 since they gave up some offense in Stewart.

Ottawa - have a good group of young Dmen coming up. Desparately need young offensive players to offset the loss of Heatley last season, decline of Alfredsson, and trades of Vermette, Fisher, and Kelly. So, I'm going to say RNH.

Florida - Similar to Ottawa. Markstrom vs. Lehner in net. Kulikov vs Karlsson on the blueline now. Ellerby, Gudbranson, Petrovic, Robak coming up the system. So, I'm going with RNH.

NYI - Given how much they have missed Streit this season, I think they have to take Larsson #1.

NJ - If they can go up to #2, they would likely hope for Larsson to be available to them.

Summary:

Edmonton - coin flip between Larsson and RNH
Colorado - RNH
Ottawa - RNH
Florida - RNH
NYI - Larsson
NJ - Larsson

Landeskog is a very good prospect, but he is more of a great compliment to a playmaking center. He'll go to the net and pot a lot of garbage goals, basically a great playoff type performer, plus he brings good intangibles. If you draft that high, you are desperate for top end offensive talent, but RNH has.

Couturier seems to be compared more to Jordan Staal vs Eric Staal in terms of offensive numbers. But, having a 6'3 200 lbs plus center might be something that would intrigue teams.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I think in the end if the Oilers do not win the lottery, it at least gives them the comfort of not being crucified for choosing the wrong one of Larsson or Nugent Hopkins :P That's about the only positive I can think of. We need both desperately.

Anyways here is what I see

Edmonton - Nugent Hopkins (My Choice) or Larsson. Edmonton desperately needs a top pairing defender and a #1 center to compliment Hall. So it really is a crap shoot.

Ottawa - Landeskog seems to be the obvious choice here but is he a number 1 overall talent? I can see them leaning to RNH or Landeskog as they have a great defensive prospect group and need a winger to replace Alfie and someone to compliment what little is left of their forward group

Colorado - Larsson would be my guess on this one. Even with the addition of EJ I can see them going with Larsson as they have two great centers up front with Stastny and Duchene. A core of Larsson, EJ, Stastny, and Duchene would lead the team for years to come.

NYI - Gotta guess Larsson here again. They are pretty much set up for the future with a core of Tavares, Okposo, Moulson, and Niedereitter. This seems to be the last year of basement dwelling for NYI and Larsson would help them significantly next year with Hamonic, and Streit.

Florida - I see them taking RNH here. He seems to be the player they need. Ultra talented and the most skilled forward in the draft. Their D group is looking solid with Kulikov, and Gudbranson coming up and both going to be impact players.

NJ - I see them taking Larsson here as well. Seems obvious to me.. Parise, Kovy, Zajac up front. Who's on the back end? Nothing anywhere near what they have up front end, that is for sure. Larsson is the choice here.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Edmonton - Need both a center and defenseman. Larsson is too good to pass up, and imo Oilers need more a great defenseman, because they have so many forwards (even though they lack the center). Back to back 1st overall picks is massive for this franchise going forward. Larsson has a bomb from the point and shoots righthanded (very valuable to a any teams PP). Larsson should be their guy, even though Oilers fans are high on RNH.

Ottawa - If they select first I could see RNH or Landeskog go to them. Spezza is still fairly young, so they might take a suitable winger that could make the NHL next season in Landeskog. Mike Richards type that hits, fights, scores and does anything for his team to win a game. Great character and attitude.

Colorado - I'd think they would be looking at Landeskog too. IMO RNH is too much like Duchene. They could need some size and leadership going forward. RNH might not be as good of a finisher as Duchene, but might be a better passer. Landeskog is a player any team would be happy to have, he's a true warrior and a future NHL captain.

Florida - Any of the three forwards could go here. I think we need a #1 center a lot, but we drafted Bjugstad that has huge upsides. Couturier is too perfect, just the type of player that Dale Tallon likes. Big, strong, can score and plays a strong two-way game. RNH is also very interesting, but Tallon likes size, but RNH skillset might be to good to pass on. I'm gonna say Couturier, then RNH and Landeskog at third. I've heard that Tallon was in Kitchener yesterday, not sure if that is true or not.

NYI - easily Larsson imo. They've picked a lot of forwards in the the near past (except de Haan), and could need a franchise #1 defenseman like Larsson. You don't pass a Lidström-ish defenseman with huge upside, that is probably going to be better than Hedman (at least productive-wise).

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Colorado - just acquired E. Johnson, so getting a #1 dman in Larsson isn't as important anymore, since they do have some young blueliners coming up the system. I'm guessing they would opt for RNH at #1 since they gave up some offense in Stewart.

They have Stastny - Duchene. RNH, a natural center and should be kept as such to ensure his talent is utilized, would make less sense than Larsson. So no, the Avs (at least on this board) do not want RNH (save a few posters: RS, S E P H, G2P, one or two more).

Landeskog is a very good prospect, but he is more of a great compliment to a playmaking center. He'll go to the net and pot a lot of garbage goals, basically a great playoff type performer, plus he brings good intangibles. If you draft that high, you are desperate for top end offensive talent, but RNH has.

How did RNH sound better than Landeskog to the Avs to you by that report? ;) Btw, before their injuries hit and they crapped the bed, the Avs were leading the league in GF and were top 5 for more than half the season.

Colorado - Larsson would be my guess on this one. Even with the addition of EJ I can see them going with Larsson as they have two great centers up front with Stastny and Duchene. A core of Larsson, EJ, Stastny, and Duchene would lead the team for years to come.

:handclap: :handclap:

Colorado - I'd think they would be looking at Landeskog too. IMO RNH is too much like Duchene. They could need some size and leadership going forward. RNH might not be as good of a finisher as Duchene, but might be a better passer. Landeskog is a player any team would be happy to have, he's a true warrior and a future NHL captain.

Right now, judging from the majority of Avs fans on HF our list is:

1. Larsson
2. Landeskog
3. RNH
4. Cooter
5. Strome

HM: Huber

Of course, that doesn't mean anything cause the Avs organization has a completely different BPA than Avs fans can come to speculate (its true, the only pick we were ever able to guess was Duchene!).

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
The Islanders take Larsson, without a doubt. As much as I'd love RNH for the sheer elite skill set and equal, if not greater upside than any player eligible to be drafted in June, Larsson makes too much sense.

Nino brings more size, speed, and scoring than Landeskog, and should be NHL ready next year.

The Islanders are set at centre with Tavares, Nielsen, and Bailey.

David Ullstrom, Casey Cizikas, Anders Lee, and Brock Nelson may not have as much upside as a Couturier, but already bring enough promise to make Couturier a non-starter. Centre is easily the deepest position on the Islanders now, and for the forseeable future.

If the Islanders end up with the second overall pick after Larsson is selected, then they go BPA, and take RNH (and vice versa).

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Ottawa, Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog
New York Edmonton - Adam Larsson
Florida - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

For Dallas I'd want Larsson or Murphy

Landeskog is the type of player who leads a line, not a complimentary player at all. His centers this year have not been the main players on the line (Michael Catenacci and Andrew Cresenzi)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Avs should draft Larsson if we get first overall, I think he's being underrated now because of overexposure, but I get the feeling that he'll be just behind Doughty as the best defensemen in the league in a couple of years. The Avs would have several very good building blocks with Stastny-Duchene-O'Reilly at center and EJ-Larsson on defense.

NeedMoreJam

Bachelors of Tanking
Jul 27, 2010
Kelowna
I'm kind of hoping the oilers lose the lottery this year. The 30th place team is due to lose since it last happened in 2007 and there's about a 50% they should. Either first or second overall, a serious need will be addressed.

That way in 2012 the odds are that the 30th place team will win the lottery again, and the oilers can solidify the fail for nail campaign.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Edmonton- RNH
Ottawa- Landeskog
Colorado- RNH
Florida- BPA
NYI- Larsson

I don't think the Senators are letting Landeskog go anywhere else. Isles need defense, and I'm hoping if we don't get Larsson we take Hamilton.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
from Islanders perspective

Larsson or Landenskog, with a slight edge to Larsson

I think those 2 players fill the Islanders needs more then RNH and Couturier, that being said if the Islanders feel one of those 2 guys is the BPA they take him(I am not 100% sold on Bailey as 2nd line center)

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I was so certain we were landing Larsson, until Jacques came along...

Ogopogo*

The Oilers should take RNH so, if that means losing the lottery so someone else takes Larsson, that works for me.

Take RNH then trade up to get Dougie Hamilton as well. :)

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
For the Islanders, I agree Larsson's the most likely pick, but I honestly wouldn't rule out RNH or Landeskog. Islanders place a huge value at the draft on the interview process and their individual testing that they do. And I have no idea which of the three would do best there. Defense is the greatest need no doubt, but it was last year also and the Islanders had no problem drafting Nino over Fowler or Gormley.

Also, I think both RNH and Landy would make great linemates for Tavares. RNH would require moving JT to RW, but I think he would thrive there anyway, and RNH's speed would really open up the ice for him, not to mention his playmaking skills would be great with JT's ability to get open in scoring position. Landeskog would allow JT to stay at center, and Landy's physical game and speed would also be great at opening up the ice for JT, as well as providing a good puck controller with set up skills.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
For the Islanders, I agree Larsson's the most likely pick, but I honestly wouldn't rule out RNH or Landeskog. Islanders place a huge value at the draft on the interview process and their individual testing that they do. And I have no idea which of the three would do best there. Defense is the greatest need no doubt, but it was last year also and the Islanders had no problem drafting Nino over Fowler or Gormley.

Also, I think both RNH and Landy would make great linemates for Tavares. RNH would require moving JT to RW, but I think he would thrive there anyway, and RNH's speed would really open up the ice for him, not to mention his playmaking skills would be great with JT's ability to get open in scoring position. Landeskog would allow JT to stay at center, and Landy's physical game and speed would also be great at opening up the ice for JT, as well as providing a good puck controller with set up skills.

JT will not be moving to RW any time soon or ever. If the Islanders were to draft RNH, then it's him who would be converted to wing if he is put on the same line with Tavares. Not the ideal fit IMO.

Larsson would be the ideal pick for the Isles and I agree that Landeskog would be great as well. Both fill needs and those two players are considered the most NHL ready players in the draft. Considering that the Islanders have demonstrated difficulty in signing any premier UFA's, that's an important consideration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad