Who Does Tiger Woods Play For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egger66

I only ask since he does not "play" for a big market team, yet he promotes the hell out of golf with no problem.

OK, I'm being sarcastic. But I can't help it after hearing all the ridiculous comments about Crosby's being in Pittsburgh will somehow bury him and kill his effect on the league. These days, he will show up everywhere, thanks to TV. It wouldn't matter an iota where he plays. The only thing that matters at all is that he plays in the Eastern time zone, so he can be on TV highlight packages across the country. Playing in Anaheim would have been a significant disadvantage.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
The complaints about him being buried in Pittsburgh are sour grapes. If anything, he will get more opportunities to prove himself there than he would in a lot of other places. We'll get a chance to find out for sure how he stacks up against NHL competition from the start.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
egger66 said:
I only ask since he does not "play" for a big market team, yet he promotes the hell out of golf with no problem.

OK, I'm being sarcastic. But I can't help it after hearing all the ridiculous comments about Crosby's being in Pittsburgh will somehow bury him and kill his effect on the league. These days, he will show up everywhere, thanks to TV. It wouldn't matter an iota where he plays. The only thing that matters at all is that he plays in the Eastern time zone, so he can be on TV highlight packages across the country. Playing in Anaheim would have been a significant disadvantage.

Just a little difference is that there are no teams in golf, its all individual. Not so in hockey.

And I don't agree on Anaheim. The Western Conference hasn't seemed to stifle players like Joe Sakic, Mike Modano, Marus Naslund from getting on TV. A lot of the pressure sits with Crosby. He needs to do what Mike Modano did with Dallas and market himself and Pittsburgh.

rwilson99

egger66 said:

Considering he is most identified with a small town in Georgia, I would concur Sid will be just fine in Pittsburgh.

on the boards

Feb 28, 2005
It is sour grapes when one hears complaints about Crosby's going to Pittsburgh. Edmonton and Pittsburgh were backwater hockey cities until the arrival of Gretzky and Lemieux respectively. With that in mind, if Crosby is as good as is said and lives up to the hype, he'll make Pittsburgh his own and no one will give it a second thought. This would be true if he went to Nashville, Carolina or Buffalo. The fact that the kid did not land in Toronto, New York or Montreal is a good thing-- who in the hell wants their coming of age under that press and fan expectation, no matter who you are. Now, if Pittsburgh can't get an arena deal, that would be a shame.

dafranchz

egger66 said:
Playing in Anaheim would have been a significant disadvantage.
How can you say that? The league needs growth. Sidney will bring a lot of into the buildings. If he played in the Pacific division/Southwest, he would help bridge the gap from the Gretzky generation to present. The water is still luke warm out here. Sports fans need something huge out here to latch onto because they are inudated with so much other stuff. Hence they need a winner!

Look how much the game has thrived in the southeast because of the future stars they have. The west needs it's help too and a good name/player like Crosby will need to be tapped to help sell the game to it's extent and beyond. Growth here has sputtered since Gretz left and a whole lot of promising huge talent is locked up on Eastern Division teams, were the West has to trade and or sign big names past their prime to sell a ticket. Again, this is from a marketing standpoint.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
egger66 said:

I'm not so much concerned with Pittsburgh but certainly had Carolina won the lottery I would be worrying right now.

Ever heard of Jeff O'Neill? Ask him what playing in Carolina is like. ;)

Hockey_Nut99

on the boards said:
It is sour grapes when one hears complaints about Crosby's going to Pittsburgh. Edmonton and Pittsburgh were backwater hockey cities until the arrival of Gretzky and Lemieux respectively. With that in mind, if Crosby is as good as is said and lives up to the hype, he'll make Pittsburgh his own and no one will give it a second thought. This would be true if he went to Nashville, Carolina or Buffalo. The fact that the kid did not land in Toronto, New York or Montreal is a good thing-- who in the hell wants their coming of age under that press and fan expectation, no matter who you are. Now, if Pittsburgh can't get an arena deal, that would be a shame.

Wasn't Gretzky on the Oilers from their first year as a franchise? Or are you talking about the WHA?

NYIsles1*

Hedberg16 said:
Does the average person in Carolina know what hockey is?
Does the average person in Manhattan know what hockey is? When Tsn polled the fans on the streets they sure did not.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
considering in two days the pens have sold season's ticket's to people in 10 states ( including califorina ) and canada - i think its a moot point - i'm gonna buy a pens tv package and watch him and mario go nuts - just awesome

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
NYIsles1 said:
Does the average person in Manhattan know what hockey is? When Tsn polled the fans on the streets they sure did not.

Does the "average" person in manhattan even speak English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->