Who does the most with least?... i.e., what teams draft best without top picks??

• Thread starter Seguins Dragon*
  • Start date

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Go back 10 drafts other than 2003 (Perry, Gelzlaf, Parise, Bergeron, Kesler) and find me one Elite guy (40 goal scorer or point per game player) not taken in the top 10 or a draft other than 2003 with more than 3 of those type players in it.

Other than 2003 list me elite guys the Preds passed on. When Radulov was availalbe they took him.

1. 05' Stastny #44, #11 Kopitar, Stastny was after they picked Parent, 00' Frolov #20, Boyes #24, they were both after Nashville picked Hartnell, 01' Hemsky #13 which was right after the Preds took Hamhuis, #32 Roy was admittedly taken right before the Preds took Shishkanov but the Preds also had a shot at Camalleri, also missed out on Plekanec and Sharp that draft, in 02' they took Upshall when they could have had Semin, in 04' they missed out on Green, Krejci, in 99' they missed Datsyuk and that's as far as I will go.

Yes ok, so elite scoring talent is somewhat difficult to find, but the Preds haven't always done themselves any favours by not always having 1rd picks.

It used to be top 5, now it's top 10.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
1. 05' Stastny #44, #11 Kopitar, Stastny was after they picked Parent, 00' Frolov #20, Boyes #24, they were both after Nashville picked Hartnell, 01' Hemsky #13 which was right after the Preds took Hamhuis, #32 Roy was admittedly taken right before the Preds took Shishkanov but the Preds also had a shot at Camalleri, also missed out on Plekanec and Sharp that draft, in 02' they took Upshall when they could have had Semin, in 04' they missed out on Green, Krejci, in 99' they missed Datsyuk and that's as far as I will go.

Yes OK, so elite scoring talent is somewhat difficult to find, but the Preds haven't always done themselves any favours by not always having 1rd picks.

I said 10 years, but since top 5 is the standard used in to thread I'll concede that. If all these guys are "elite" to you then you should give us credit for Erat and Hornqvist. When I think Elite I'm thinking all-star player, or played in the Olympics not middle of the pack scorer or one year wonder. Every team misses on players, it not like you have 4 first rounders every year. Give us credit the Preds are better than most at finding top flight talent without top 5 picks.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I said 10 years, but since top 5 is the standard used in to thread I'll concede that. If all these guys are "elite" to you then you should give us credit for Erat and Hornqvist. When I think Elite I'm thinking all-star player, or played in the Olympics not middle of the pack scorer or one year wonder. Every team misses on players, it not like you have 4 first rounders every year. Give us credit the Preds are better than most at finding top flight talent without top 5 picks.

I wasn't talking about years, I was talking about picks, before you said top 5 picks, then you changed it to top 10, just saying.

Well Justin Williams was an All-Star, so can I throw him in too then.

I guess I have to concede that most of the best forwards are gone after round 1, good D men and goalies though can be found anywhere pretty much as they are harder to project.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011

Yes ok, so elite scoring talent is somewhat difficult to find, but the Preds haven't always done themselves any favours by not always having 1rd picks.

Their is so much wrong in this post, and i'm a sens fan so not biased in Nashville's direction at all.

1. The majority of those players are not what people would consider "elite". Kopitar, Datsyuk and Green are the only players there I would consider elite. Semin has elite talent but I wouldn't consider him an elite player

2. Look at the player's Nashville drafted instead of the guys you listed - Parent, Hamhuis, Hartnell, Upshall etc. May not be elite guys, but it just proves that Nashville is good at finding NHL talent later in the draft.

3. Every year there a couple of stars that go a little later in the draft - basing your opinion that Nashville are average drafters on the fact that they missed these guys is not a sound argument. 28 other teams missed these guys too, no team gets these guys year after year. Detroit gets a lot of credit because two of these picks were out of the park homeruns, for every other team it is about consistently finding NHL talent and Nashville is probably one of the top 5 teams in the league at doing this.

Unrelated to this Nashville argument I think Washington is probably the best team in the league in the last 5 years when it comes to drafting.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Their is so much wrong in this post, and i'm a sens fan so not biased in Nashville's direction at all.

1. The majority of those players are not what people would consider "elite". Kopitar, Datsyuk and Green are the only players there I would consider elite. Semin has elite talent but I wouldn't consider him an elite player

2. Look at the player's Nashville drafted instead of the guys you listed - Parent, Hamhuis, Hartnell, Upshall etc. May not be elite guys, but it just proves that Nashville is good at finding NHL talent later in the draft.

3. Every year there a couple of stars that go a little later in the draft - basing your opinion that Nashville are average drafters on the fact that they missed these guys is not a sound argument. 28 other teams missed these guys too, no team gets these guys year after year. Detroit gets a lot of credit because two of these picks were out of the park homeruns, for every other team it is about consistently finding NHL talent and Nashville is probably one of the top 5 teams in the league at doing this.

Unrelated to this Nashville argument I think Washington is probably the best team in the league in the last 5 years when it comes to drafting.

1. In Semin's case and the subject we are referring to is elite offensive skill, not player, which Semin has.

2. It is a sound argument when most teams except for Detroit most of the time seem to miss them.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
1. In Semin's case and the subject we are referring to is elite offensive skill, not player, which Semin has.

2. It is a sound argument when most teams except for Detroit most of the time seem to miss them.

Detroit also misses them EVERY year, look at all those players you just mentioned. How many of them were drafted by Detroit? They got lucky in hitting two in a row out of the park and rightfully so can ride that for the next 10 years. No other team has done that with such late round picks, and I seriously doubt it will happen again for the next 50 years. In terms of quality i'll say it again, Nashville is one of the best at "doing the most with the least".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad