Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Edmonton - 2 safe, 2 boom/bust

6. JVR (Turris goes too early)
15. Eller
29. Petrecki
36. Aliu

i think you would have to get extremely lucky to get JVR at #6 and petrecki at #29. the oilers just have to pick the one that falls into your lap out of kane, JVR, voracek, turris, cherepanov and alzner. and IMO that will not be JVR. but you can allways hope:)

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
Realistically speaking that is..

Toronto Maple Leafs - Mikael Backlund, Lars Eller, Zach Hamill ( in that order )
100% agree - i don`t think Couture/Esposito drop down to us.
My fantasy though consists of trading up for Sam Gagner.:)

Oilers entering the draft with three 1st rounders will face a gazillion of trade options/proposals. Real horror for any serious mock draft. This being said Alzner at#6 would fit their bill in terms of prospect needs and BPA perfectly. Similar to CBJ who rather ask for playmaking abilities (i.e. Gagner). Then again i can see them trying to pull off a spectacular move/trade at their home draft show ...

Will be interesting how the TV cameras will turn to Sutter if his uncle picks for Flames (and passes on him?).:sarcasm:

jbb21

Feb 11, 2007
For the Caps: 5) Jakub Voracek 28) Logan MacMillan 34) Riley Nash

Others that interest me: Maxim Gratchev, Anthony Peluso, Patrcik Cullen, and Garret Roe.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
i think you would have to get extremely lucky to get JVR at #6 and petrecki at #29. the oilers just have to pick the one that falls into your lap out of kane, JVR, voracek, turris, cherepanov and alzner. and IMO that will not be JVR. but you can allways hope:)

JVR might be a stretch at 6. But since the top 5/6 guys tend to change according to who is ranking them, anything is possible. Basically, I want whoever of JVR, Kane, Turris, Voracek, Alzner or Gagner falls to us at 6. Happy with any of them, but JVR or Turris would be a dream.

Petrecki on the other hand could go anywhere. He is likely the biggest boom/bust potential guy in the draft, it all depends on when a GM decides to take a flyer on him. Him falling to late 1st or even the 2nd round could easily happen.

I based mine around the McKeen's rankings as I tend to follow them closest.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Oilers entering the draft with three 1st rounders will face a gazillion of trade options/proposals. Real horror for any serious mock draft. This being said Alzner at#6 would fit their bill in terms of prospect needs and BPA perfectly.

Oilers doesn't need any more D prospects - especially at #6.

A top-end power forward would be addressing their prospect needs (all previous ones have flopped). Hopefully Voracek or JVR will be available... I'd be happy with Turris. I'd settle for Gagner/Cherry/Kane...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Oilers doesn't need any more D prospects - especially at #6.

A top-end power forward would be addressing their prospect needs (all previous ones have flopped). Hopefully Voracek or JVR will be available... I'd be happy with Turris. I'd settle for Gagner/Cherry/Kane...

if alzner is on top of their list when its their turn to pick, they will pick him.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
JVR might be a stretch at 6. But since the top 5/6 guys tend to change according to who is ranking them, anything is possible. Basically, I want whoever of JVR, Kane, Turris, Voracek, Alzner or Gagner falls to us at 6. Happy with any of them, but JVR or Turris would be a dream.

Petrecki on the other hand could go anywhere. He is likely the biggest boom/bust potential guy in the draft, it all depends on when a GM decides to take a flyer on him. Him falling to late 1st or even the 2nd round could easily happen.

I based mine around the McKeen's rankings as I tend to follow them closest.

you will get a great prospect no matter what at #6.

personally i think someone will pick petrecki before the oilers pick, but there is allways hope;)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
if alzner is on top of their list when its their turn to pick, they will pick him.

Maybe not. Oilers have pick #15 and #27/28/29/30... and will pick up a D men then. Ellerby/McDonaugh would be nice.

Alzner isn't projected to be a stud so the only reason the Oilers would pick him is that they are "loading up" with safe BPA assets for a future trade.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Maybe not. Oilers have pick #15 and #27/28/29/30... and will pick up a D men then. Ellerby/McDonaugh would be nice.

Alzner isn't projected to be a stud so the only reason the Oilers would pick him is that they are "loading up" with safe BPA assets for a future trade.

nhl teams ALLWAYS pick the player they feel is the BPA in the first round. it doesnt matter if they can get a d-man later. i dont know if it will be alzner who is on top of their list when they pick, but they will pick him if he is.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
nhl teams ALLWAYS pick the player they feel is the BPA in the first round. it doesnt matter if they can get a d-man later. i dont know if it will be alzner who is on top of their list when they pick, but they will pick him if he is.

The problem is that Ellerby + Alzner are ranked differently by different scouting services. Do I think Alzner is high on the Oiler's list? No. Is he BPA at 6? Debatable.

The top 6 aren't that clear-cut and even though CSS ranked Voracek at 7th, if he is available at 6 - the Oilers would take him due to their history with Czech players (Hemsky/Smid/Hejda/Sykora/Nedved) and kids drafted from the QMJHL.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
The problem is that Ellerby + Alzner are ranked differently by different scouting services. Do I think Alzner is high on the Oiler's list? No. Is he BPA at 6? Debatable.

The top 6 aren't that clear-cut and even though CSS ranked Voracek at 7th, if he is available at 6 - the Oilers would take him due to their history with Czech players (Hemsky/Smid/Hejda/Sykora/Nedved) and kids drafted from the QMJHL.

but every team has their own ranking and in the first round they pick the guy who is on top of their list. they dont look at any CSS ranking on draft day.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
but every team has their own ranking and in the first round they pick the guy who is on top of their list. they dont look at any CSS ranking on draft day.

God i hope not.
But i would be very happy if the oilers picked Alzner 6th, although i would much prefer JVR or Voracek but chances of getting them are getting slim. And I do think Alzner is very high on the Oilers list, Prendergast (oilers VP of Hockey Operations) said it was a pipe dream to think the Oilers could get Alzner at #6, Smokescreen? maybe. But either way i would pick him before any forward out of the top 5.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
for the Montreal Canadiens, Esposito (12th pick), if not available, the best Dman possible...

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
#2 - voracek or jvr...torn between the two...from the little i've seen but mostly what i've read or been told these two the most nhl ready and have complete games...assuming kane goes #1

#22 - muller or sutter

A-Fan

Mar 11, 2002
Visit site
for detroit

simon hjalmarsson or david perron

but of course we will deal our first rounder on draft day again this year. lol.

I agree with you if they take a forward, however I 'm hoping Ryan Maddaugh(I know its not spelled correctly) is there. Then again If Florida is picking there, and Wings fans are celebrating a cup victory, I'll take that too!:yo:

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site

Prendergast did an interview awhile back, I think with Guy Flaming, where he pretty much said that the Oilers took Dubnyk at #14 in the 2004 draft because they felt they needed a goalie at that time.

AgentNaslund*

J. Blum, but I believe Vancouver will go after someone that can fly. They might go off the charts again, like they did last season.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
My dream scenario for the Oilers:

6: Voracek
15: Eller
29: Cross

If Voracek is gone, I'd debate long and hard between Gagner and Alzner/Ellerby with the first pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad