Who do you want to be our backup Goalie?

Who do you want as backup goaltender?

• Total voters

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It really does though. I thought they are trying to change the culture with the young kids. Nothing like polluting this new batch with constant losing.

It's better for the kids to learn without the goaltending help. Sure it'll be harder, but the team learning to win without the safety net, will make that team much tougher mentally down the road. Good goaltending does nothing but mask your team root issues. And if you're worried about the team mental state of the kids because of the team learning, then maybe our coach isn't the man for the job.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm fine with Anderson as 1B / backup to be honest. He should be a good add to the room & he's on a 1 way deal which suggests he's here to stay. Dell & Tokarski are OK injury cover too.

We obviously need another guy - but i don't think giving up assets for Georgiev is the best answer. As i said - Khudobin should be available right now - plus other guys as we move closer to the start of the season.

Another possibility could be European FAs? Are there any left field guys out there who could come in to the NHL & be at least solid?
Well, I don't agree with you about Georgiev, but Khudobin is certainly also a solid option.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would be surprised if Adams trades a pick for a goalie.

Today, Chicago has two guys they may have to waive to the AHL that might make the Sabres stronger in goal.

Florida might try and pass a guy like Montembeault through waivers if Knight earns an NHL spot.

Washington may try and pass Copley through waivers.

Former Amerk Scott Wedgewood will likely be on waivers.

Nashville will be putting Connor Ingram on waivers.

We can probably claim JJ from the Avs.

And there will be other options. We just have to hope that they don't pass on the chance of claiming this year's Ned.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Don't have to trade for goalie this year.

*Next* season it is important to have a legit goalie to pair with UPL.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Today, Chicago has two guys they may have to waive to the AHL that might make the Sabres stronger in goal.

Florida might try and pass a guy like Montembeault through waivers if Knight earns an NHL spot.

And there will be other options. We just have to hope that they don't pass on the chance of claiming this year's Ned.

This.

Khudobin is the only guy I'd give up assets for at this point - because he's pretty good & you might get back what you paid at next year's TDL. Assuming we're not still a laughing stock by that point & actually competing for something in February.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This.

Khudobin is the only guy I'd give up assets for at this point - because he's pretty good & you might get back what you paid at next year's TDL. Assuming we're not still a laughing stock by that point.

I doubt Dallas trades Khudobin.

With the busy schedule and a lack of a taxi squad, having a guy like Otter that doesn't need to clear waivers as the organizational #3 in the AHL is going to be very valuable.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Do you see him as a legitimate starter & what would you give up for him?
I think he is not yet a proven starter, but as I said, he is still young and he has experience. Maybe 3rd + some average prospect, maybe 2nd as for Vanecek/Hill, but I'm not sure.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I added Montembeault to the list of waiver candidates in post #1. Missed him. Thanks.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Agree 100%. Going this route will also give them a chance to see how UPL has progressed in camp.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think he is not yet a proven starter, but as I said, he is still young and he has experience. Maybe 3rd + some average prospect, maybe 2nd as for Vanecek/Hill, but I'm not sure.

That's quite a lot for a guy you're not even confident can be an average starter.

@Jim Bob - i didn't know Oettinger was waiver exempt. Yeah - that probably changes things there. I just assumed he'd be their 1A with Holtby as the backup. Holtby's signing makes more sense now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's quite a lot for a guy you're not even confident can be an average starter.

@Jim Bob - i didn't know Oettinger was waiver exempt. Yeah - that probably changes things there. I just assumed he'd be their 1A with Holtby as the backup. Holtby's signing makes more sense now.

Dallas and Florida could opt to put Otter and Knight in the AHL because they are exempt and they expect to need a third guy throughout the year.

It will be interesting to watch.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Dallas and Florida could opt to put Otter and Knight in the AHL because they are exempt and they expect to need a third guy throughout the year.

It will be interesting to watch.

Knight should definitely be starting most games in Florida on merit IMO.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Knight should definitely be starting most games in Florida on merit IMO.

Young goalies like Knight can sometimes flash in a short stretch and regress the next year over the long haul.

It won’t surprise me if he goes to the AHL. Especially if there are technical aspects to his game that the Panthers want to change.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Young goalies like Knight can sometimes flash in a short stretch and regress the next year over the long haul.

It won’t surprise me if he goes to the AHL. Especially if there are technical aspects to his game that the Panthers want to change.

it happened with Hart last season.

I would not put all my money on knight.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I’m honestly pretty surprised we haven’t already signed Hasek to a 2 yr $10m deal. Imagine the impact on ticket sales and jerseys. We could bring Jagr in too, same deal.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think a big issue with Hart may have been his decision to stop working with his long time mental skills coach.
I think the pandemic affected a lot of people mentally particularly those whose lives revolve around a routine. When the routine is disrupted some people can't readily adapt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->