Who do you want to be our backup Goalie?

Who do you want as backup goaltender?

• Total voters

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
So Dell and Anderson are kinda crappy. 750K is not that much and they could just be waived if they don't impress in training camp. So who do YOU want as a backup? Not saying starter because none listed are that.

I think we should consider claiming a goaltender. Someone on this list may/must be better than who we signed. Maybe even carry 3 on our roster if we don't get a real starter.

Here are goalies most likely to be waived coming out of training camp

Alex Stalock, age 34, 1 year 750k, Edm
Garrett Sparks, 29, 1 year 750k, LA
Collin Delia, 27, 1 year 1M, Chi
Malcolm Subban, 27, 1 year 850k, Chi
Connor Ingram, 24, 2 year 750k, Nash
Scott Wedgewood, 29, 1 year 825k, NJ
Keith Kinkaid, 32, 1 year 825k, NYR
Phoenix Copley, 29, 1 year 1M, Wash
Troy Grosenick, 32, 1 year 750K, Boston
Calvin Pickard, 29, 1 year 800k, Det
Chris Gibson, 28, 1 year 750k, FL
Sam Montembeault, 24, RFA, FL
Michael Huthchinson, 31, 1 year 750k, Tor

Last edited:
Reactions: The Red Helmet

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think that if there are any injuries in training camps, there will be goalies claimed. As we found out today the goalie market is really tight.

It might bode well for us to claim a goaltender and carry 3 on our roster. Will help us in case of injury, or we have a goalie to trade if another team runs into injury trouble.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Months ago Marty Biron said we didn't need to trade for a goalie because there were so many UFA's.

I was thinking, there aren't going to be less job opening this year and a glut of goalies; more goalies are going to be needed because of retirements and Seattle adding 2-3 more slots.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Garrett Sparks is one of those guys that looks great in the minors and preseason, but shits the bed in the NHL. Tokarski might be one of those guys too. But for some like Tim Thomas it all comes together for them.

Reactions: Jacob582

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
What's the deal in NY? Rangers gonna roll with Georgiev and Sheshterkin who is RFA with arbitration rights, or is one of them potentially shaking loose? They have plenty of cap.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Georgiev requested a trade

He's probably going to be an upgrade on what we have - but is he really any good? I've never thought so to be honest. I don't like the idea of giving up assets for him - or him being anything more than a throw in for Eichel.

Best option right now seems to be Khudobin in Dallas. Although there could be some other guys shaking loose as we move closer to the season.

Anderson should be 1B/backup for the Sabres & be a leader in the room
UPL should be clear 1 in the AHL
Dell/Tokarski should be injury callups for the Sabres & backups to UPL

One guy to slot in above everyone we currently have would work well IMO.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
He's probably going to be an upgrade on what we have - but is he really any good? I've never thought so to be honest. I don't like the idea of giving up assets for him - or him being anything more than a throw in for Eichel.

Best option right now seems to be Khudobin in Dallas. Although there could be some other guys shaking loose as we move closer to the season.

Stay away from Georgiev. Huge locker room a hole.

The thread is about the back up, we don't even have a starter.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

We may not even have a reliable backup. Georgiev may not be the best option, but he is still young and at that time he has experience playing in the NHL. Depends on the price, I just think you can not rely only on UPL, Anderson and Dell are hardly the answer.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
We may not even have a reliable backup. Georgiev may not be the best option, but he is still young and at that time he has experience playing in the NHL. Depends on the price, I just think you can not rely only on UPL, Anderson and Dell are hardly the answer.

I'm fine with Anderson as 1B / backup to be honest. He should be a good add to the room & he's on a 1 way deal which suggests he's here to stay. Dell & Tokarski are OK injury cover too.

We obviously need another guy - but i don't think giving up assets for Georgiev is the best answer. As i said - Khudobin should be available right now - plus other guys as we move closer to the start of the season.

Another possibility could be European FAs? Are there any left field guys out there who could come in to the NHL & be at least solid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->