Proposal: Who do you trade for an impact Dman?

Who would you trade to land a top pairing Dman or picks to draft potential in that area:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
You don't rob Peter to pay Paul here. Wait until after we know our draft position in 2019. If we don't get one of top 2 picks then anything is available excluding EP, Horvat, Boeser and Hughes to go get the franchise Dman.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
You trade veterans for draft picks. Use extra draft capital to trade for young defenseman that shake lose. This is basically what Calgary did with Hamilton (which they eventually turned into Hanifin/Lindholm) and what Buffalo just did with Montour.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
You don't rob Peter to pay Paul here. Wait until after we know our draft position in 2019. If we don't get one of top 2 picks then anything is available excluding EP, Horvat, Boeser and Hughes to go get the franchise Dman.

For sure we should wait to see how the draft/offseason works out before doing anything this radical... but the backend is a mess and if the draft/offseason doesn't significantly upgrade it something has to happen.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You trade veterans for draft picks. Use extra draft capital to trade for young defenseman that shake lose. This is basically what Calgary did with Hamilton (which they eventually turned into Hanifin/Lindholm) and what Buffalo just did with Montour.

That's the correct answer here.

Too bad Benning loathes acquiring picks.

We're so, so far from being competitive.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Would absolutely look at trading Boeser for an impact young defender.

Straight up for Zach Werenski.

Wonder if it would be enough. They’re about to lose Panarin.

Sadly, Boeser’s back injury seems to be continuing to affect his game. Who knows if he’ll ever reach his potential.

Last edited:

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd consider a package of Gaudette, picks outside the first round, and B-prospects to get something. I don't know if you can get an 'impact' player for that, but you could probably find a good 26 to 28-year-old top-four defender to compliment the new defensive core of Stecher, Hutton, and Hughes.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Why trade a young star player, when good UFA Dmen can be signed on July 1. Karlsson, Stralman, Myers, Gardiner etc. are available. The last time Benning traded for a significant defenceman he gave up McCann (1st) & a 2nd round pick for Gudbranson.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is there anyone left out there who still believes that Jimbo could actually identify an 'impact d-man', much less put together a deal to acquire him?

The only real hope for the Canucks is to draft one. But realistically, anyone they pick is years away from helping them. Still some hope for Hughes and Juolevi. And if they could entice Tryamkin back from the KHL, that would be a start.

But when you have a blueline as bad as the Canucks' right now, there's just no 'quick fix'.

Reactions: PM and Jyrki21

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

You want a franchise Dman without giving up EP BH BB or QH.

You think Ericsson / Motte/ 2nd gets it done?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
You want a franchise Dman without giving up EP BH BB or QH.

You think Ericsson / Motte/ 2nd gets it done?
Did you forget that I said I'd be willing to move our 2019 1st if we don't get one of the first 2 picks? Say we land the 3rd to 5 OA pick that added to another 2 of Madden, Dahlen, Woo or Juolevi might be enough. Preds might be looking to move Subban, I keep reading, that might be enough or at least a decent base. It doesn't include any of EP, Boeser, Horvat or Hughes. It's alot more then Eriksson, Motte and a 2nd :).

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Why trade a young star player, when good UFA Dmen can be signed on July 1. Karlsson, Stralman, Myers, Gardiner etc. are available. The last time Benning traded for a significant defenceman he gave up McCann (1st) & a 2nd round pick for Gudbranson.
Only guy out of 4 I'd want is Karlsson and he'd be awesome and Im really hoping he considers us. Stralman is older and will get offers from winning teams he won't come here, Myers is useless and Gardiner though great offensively sucks defensively.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Only guy out of 4 I'd want is Karlsson and he'd be awesome and Im really hoping he considers us. Stralman is older and will get offers from winning teams he won't come here, Myers is useless and Gardiner though great offensively sucks defensively.

We just aren’t anywhere near ready for a Karlsson. Why waste the money to have him for the next 2-4 years. We won’t be a contender. What’s the point.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
We just aren’t anywhere near ready for a Karlsson. Why waste the money to have him for the next 2-4 years. We won’t be a contender. What’s the point.
I'm not saying were ready to win anything but adding Karlsson makes our back end respectable and helps our transition game.
Edler Karlsson
Hughes Tanev
Hutton Anybody but Gudbranson

That's a decent defense depending on how Hughes turns out. Our forwards adding two top 6's hopefully one in draft and one UFA? That would give us a playoff team or one that's very close next year. Once EP and a few of the other guys take another step I do see a contender.

Edit, forgot about Stecher he could be 3rd pairing RHD.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Stecher stepping up this season has soured me on the idea of signing Stralman or Myers. Karlsson's a great player but someone of that calibre requires a massive contract; I'd rather wait until the team is established as a respectable playoff contender. I see Karlsson/Panarin/Stone as UFA contracts for teams ready to try to win it all, not for teams ready to try to make the playoffs.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

Karlsson basically singlehandedly took an awful Ottawa team to Game 7 OT of the conference finals.

He's a top 5 player in the world and can basically make any team competitive.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I agree to getting EK. He would be our ligit number one, which would allow every other guy to play in a more appropriate role for thei skills.
I don’t think we should keep Tanev though.
Eddy Ek
Stech Hutton
Guddy Hughes
Bulldog.

OJ will push for a spot before TDL of 2020. Maybe we move a guy like Guddy at that point?

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I also don't get why people think this team is so ridiculously far away from being good and at this point, in a vaccuum, the Canucks should start trying to become a good and competitive hockey team.

The flaw with this team is that our depth is awful and that's a whole hell of a lot easier to change than the top end talent on the team.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I agree to getting EK. He would be our ligit number one, which would allow every other guy to play in a more appropriate role for thei skills.
I don’t think we should keep Tanev though.
Eddy Ek
Stech Hutton
Guddy Hughes
Bulldog.

OJ will push for a spot before TDL of 2020. Maybe we move a guy like Guddy at that point?
Your guys are playing wrong sides but regardless Stech and Hutton is not a top 4 pairing, Gudbranson should be nowhere near Hughes. Hughes will need a rock steady defensive partner and Gudbranson plain sucks, Juolevi needs to spend all of next year in AHL as he's been killed by injuries and starting 2 rookie d is not a good idea. Tanev should stay and would be great with Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad