Who Do You Think Would Be The Better Pick?

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
As a fan of a team whose picking in the mid-twenties of the draft (25th), I've naturally been looking at rankings and mock drafts to gauge who might be available at those positions. Seeing as the Leafs should be looking to stock up on D prospects, here is a list of the d-men that may be available at the 25th pick:

Mattias Samuelsson
Jett Woo
Calen Addison
Alexander Alexeyev
Rasmus Sandin
K'Andre Miller
Jared McIsaac
Ryan Merkley

Personally, I'd like the leafs to take Miller, although I don't think he'll still be available at 25. Out of the players above, who would you take if you had the 25th selection and they were all available?

Reactions: Lion Hound

lawrence

May 19, 2012
As a fan of a team whose picking in the mid-twenties of the draft (25th), I've naturally been looking at rankings and mock drafts to gauge who might be available at those positions. Seeing as the Leafs should be looking to stock up on D prospects, here is a list of the d-men that may be available at the 25th pick:

Mattias Samuelsson
Jett Woo
Calen Addison
Alexander Alexeyev
Rasmus Sandin
K'Andre Miller
Jared McIsaac
Ryan Merkley

Personally, I'd like the leafs to take Miller, although I don't think he'll still be available at 25. Out of the players above, who would you take if you had the 25th selection and they were all available?

Jared McIsaac and jet Woo was ranked as one of the best neutral zone defenders in the CHL. Maybe those guys are right up their alley?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Jett woo and jared mcisaac were probably the biggest fallers this season. Woo's injury really hurt his game somehow. He was 16 points in 17 games i believe ( let me know if I'm wrong), then 9 points in 27 games after injury. He was then only able to get 3 points in 14 games.

IMO Miller might be the worst of the bunch besides woo. Although Woo will have a lot to prove next year. I would say Merkley is probably the best player out of that group, but if I'm going defense, I go Samuelsson or Mcissac

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Mattias Samuelsson
Jett Woo
Calen Addison
Alexander Alexeyev
Rasmus Sandin
K'Andre Miller
Jared McIsaac
Ryan Merkley

If it wasn't for concussions probably Woo. Can't go wrong with Alexeyev, Sandin, Samuelsson/Addison

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
You don't have him listed but i'd take Nils Lundkvist over all these players.

Otherwise it's close between Addison, Sandin and Miller for me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Alexeyev is a prospect that is bordering on top 10 quality, his injury saw him fall a bit, he's great. Doubt hes there at 25 though, certainly don't hope the Leafs grab him. He possesses every tool you want in a number one D, skating, passing, Shooting, size, etc, he has it all.
Hes the only one out of this list that has no real weakness, the 2nd being Sandin, but he's smallish and his offensive upside is questionable.

Tychonick and Lundkvist are two others that might be near that spot and they're both well rounded, I'd pick them ahead of the rest of your list too.

As for the rest of the list, thats how I'd rank them:

Calen Addisson, he has all the strength of a typical smallish D, he's great, he's just tiny.

Jett Woo is an absolute brick of a player, he's one of the best at defending the neutral zone and he has some ability offensively, but he's likely never going to top 20ish points in the NHL and he'll be a serviceable type, not a player you pick 25 IMO. But I'm almost certain he makes the NHL and he steps up on people daily, love the player, just wish he was a bit more underrated so the Habs could snag him late 2nd.

Merkley, he has good skills, great in fact, perfect skating, good shot, great passing, but he's a nutcase on the ice and in the room, he has a case of either IDGAF at times, or he's really dumb as a player, maybe both. Upside is there though.

McIsaac has good tools, he's well rounded, but he's somewhat inconsistent and prone to mistakes, he's not a super smart player, he wont pull any great plays or what ever, and his offensive potential is limited.

K'andre Miller is dumb as rocks, he doesn't know how to defend, but he did just start to play D a few years ago. Guy has some good abilities though, but I doubt he makes the NHL. Still a gamble on tools like Merkley.

Mattias Samuelsson, is slow and lumbering, but he's smart, has a good shot, defends well, and yadda yadda, similar to Woo, just a slightly worst version. He's gonna make the NHL too IMO, just not an impact player, and I wish the Habs could pick him in the 3rd or something, but he's gonna get picked early.

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Personally I think the Leafs should be looking at center prospects even more than D. Sure their D is weak right now but they have some decent pieces in the pipeline, and you're also probably looking at 4+ years until that D can make an impact. Down the middle it's virtually just Brooks, Altonen and le chevre

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Personally I think the Leafs should be looking at center prospects even more than D. Sure their D is weak right now but they have some decent pieces in the pipeline, and you're also probably looking at 4+ years until that D can make an impact. Down the middle it's virtually just Brooks, Altonen and le chevre

Fact is, they have depth at C in the NHL. At D, not so much. They barely have a top pairing...

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal

Mattias Samuelsson
Jett Woo
Calen Addison
Alexander Alexeyev
Rasmus Sandin
K'Andre Miller
Jared McIsaac
Ryan Merkley

Cant go wrong with either Woo Sandin Alexeyev. My choice would be Sandin, Im really high on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad