Who do you think will be gone by next season?

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
Since we're all talking about who will be gone next season I thought I'd make a poll out of it to get a general consensus of what we all expect. This is not who you want to be gone, just who you expect to be gone.

Vote for as many as you think will not be playing/coaching/managing the Canucks next season. I'm only listing the bigger options, since I don't think anyone would be super shocked if someone like Sestito were not here next year.

EDIT: There are a few roster players not on the poll. I considered Alberts and the 4th liners not very interesting to talk about, ignored Derek Roy as he is a UFA and hasn't been around long, and didn't offer Burrows, Hansen, or Higgins as options as they're core guys on stable contracts that wouldn't fetch enough in return to make moving them worthwhile.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I voted for the people who I THINK will be gone by next season, and that's only because I have no faith in Gillis to do what needs to be done to improve the team.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
I honestly think, due to contract circumstances and who had a better playoff performance, that Schneider will be moved. He can fetch a better return than Luongo and although given the opportunity didn't take over the clear #1 goalie position from Lu. Just a hunch.

Alflives*

I honestly think, due to contract circumstances and who had a better playoff performance, that Schneider will be moved. He can fetch a better return than Luongo and although given the opportunity didn't take over the clear #1 goalie position from Lu. Just a hunch.

I used to think Schnieder would get a good return too, but not any more. He's injury prone, and has some sort of mental block. He's got the same value as Fluery - not a lot.

dps

Nov 30, 2011
From the list:
AV
Bowness
Brown
Raymond
Ballard
Lou

Off the list:
Probably a lot of restructuring in the bottom 6.

Maybe a top 4 D but I didn't check it because I doubt Gillis would move Edler and I don't think he'd ask anyone to waive their NTC. I think Gillis will make mostly safe moves and build around what we have.

I personally think if he does a good job of it and we get coaches that play to our style/fix our special teams we will once again be a force. IMO. Whether or not that's enough to win it all is debatable.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
Virtually guaranteed: Newell Brown, Luongo, Ballard

Gone once replacements are found: AV, Bowness

Probably gone but could be retained depending on salary demands: Raymond

A lot of people will say Booth but I'm not convinced. Especially if it isn't logistically possible (can't buyout injured players). I think he's only gone if there's a player the Canucks sign/acquire FIRST that makes Booth's salary too risky going forward. He's only taking up cap space and cap space is only an asset if you've got something in particular to spend it on

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
From the list:
AV
Bowness
Brown
Raymond
Ballard
Lou

This is how I voted, I would also put Manny (Obviously) and a possible Lappy

That is more then enough tweaks IMO, and if the coach is getting this much blame then I keep the D together and see what they can do under a new style.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I honestly think that if Booth and Ballard are given a chance to play their game they will do well. Lets be honest here guys, Ballard got outright ****ed over by ****** coaching. Sure he is overpaid, but its hard to do well when you are getting bumped out of the lineup for AVs flavour of the season (used to be Rome, now its Alberts)

WestleySnipez

Christmas came early
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver. Duh.
I honestly think that if Booth and Ballard are given a chance to play their game they will do well. Lets be honest here guys, Ballard got outright ****ed over by ****** coaching. Sure he is overpaid, but its hard to do well when you are getting bumped out of the lineup for AVs flavour of the season (used to be Rome, now its Alberts)

Even so, 4.6 million dollars for a 5/6th defenseman? Not really worth it. He'll do better on other teams anyway, he's more offensively gifted then we allow him to be.

I agree with you on Booth, he's missed this season almost entirely and he performed like a 2nd liner in half a season (56GP, 16G, 29P) with us. If he had a full season playing on a line with Kesler and Higgins, he'd probably be a 20 goal, 40-50 point scorer. But if he never fully recovers from this injury, I could see him transforming into another Mason Raymond.

Still though, I think Gillis will deal both.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Luongo
Ballard
Brown

After that, it's kind of hard to guess with the cap going down next year. Also depending on whether or not Gillis can actually move some guys, if he is even retained. So hard to say right now.

Respect Your Edler

Thank You 52
Sep 27, 2006
China

Logically, this makes sense. Based on what Gillis has done so far, I'm not sure that it will happen. I think he'd need a direct command from the owner to move Schneider. Gillis has really made some terrible decisions since the cup run.

The problem with moving Raymond, Ballard, Booth and Luongo is that there will be no real return for any of them. Raymond walks, Ballard Booth are potential buyouts or dumps. Luongo is a dump. We shed salary but that's it. Same core next year with a new coach. If the coaching change does nothing, we get closer to becoming Calgary.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011

Ballard needs to be bought out for his own sake. He can get a fresh start elsewhere and not have any more years of his career squandered in the press box. He's never been that great since he got here but he hasn't been bad enough to warrant the treatment this team has given him.

Anzes Eyes

5th line centre
Jun 2, 2011
I voted:

AV, Bowness and Brown.
Kesler and Edler (value for rebuild) - NMC negotiating... (to PHI for prospects/future - they go all in?)

Malhotra, Ballard, Booth and Luongo - given
MayRay - can make more as UFA, sees rebuild and wants out

Eesh

Sep 27, 2006
Regina
I voted

Gillis
AV & his assistants
Schnider (cause we'd actually get something for him, and I believe hes over rated)
Raymond
Edler
Ballard
The Twins (if we got a top 3 pic for them... I want Drouin!!!!)
Kassian
Roy

I want Picks and prospects... this team needs to rebuild, tool what ever you want to call it before it gets to the point where you can't stop the bleeding.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
AV
Brown
Bowness
Booth
Ballard
Luongo
Raymond

and I voted another top 4 dman because I think they should trade Bieksa. He's older, he could get you a very good player as he is respected around the league for what he brings.

Stanley as in Cup

Jun 29, 2010
Looking at the sharks the last few years I think it should help us to not knee jerk. They kept their aging stars and added some great young talent and a little re-tooling. It would be stupid to loose our stars but we need some new energy which might be a core guy but if Raymond, Luongo, Ballard, Booth and AV go then that is a big change already from the current core. Hope that Kassian, Corrado, maybe Guance or Shroeder can take a big step up then we are off to the races again!

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Bowness - his handling of the defense (Bieksa's minutes) is inexcusable
AV - too much of a player's coach, his time has run out

Raymond - "moneypuck" in the reg season. Useless in the real season.
Ballard - 4.2M we can't afford
Luongo

I think Booth stays. Newell Brown might stay. Burrows I would deal if a core member had to be traded.

linden16fan

Jun 14, 2011
Langley BC
The Coaching staff will be gone. Usually once a Head coach is out the assistants follow cause the new guy would want his guys in there.

Id get rid of Burrows but hes not on your list. People say hes a playoff performer but they also rag on the twins for not doing anything in the playoffs and Burrows has done the same as them. Plus if you get rid of the twins then Burrows is useless cause he cant seem to perform with anyone else.

People want prospects and young talent but want to get rid of Kassian who is only 22 and will get better once a coach actually gives him a chance to learn from his mistakes.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
AV
Bowness
Brown
Raymond
Booth
Ballard
Luongo (Forgot to vote for him)

My list is a combination of who I want gone, and who I think will be gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->