Who do you think this was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Here’s why Bob Goodenow had better make a deal - pronto! According to a good friend of a first-line player, the NHLPA member rose at the last players’ meeting and confronted The Boss. “Bob,†he said, “I’m broke and I’m gonna lose $700,000 if I don’t play next year. And I don’t wanna go to Europe. Where are we gonna be next season?†Goodenow couldn’t answer him!

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_n...ticle&sports=ice-hockey&team=other&league=nhl

How many 1st line players who aren't playing and making $700,000 a year are there?

Phanuthier*

Never mind, I missed the "making $700,000 a year" part. Either that or Modano's Ferarri insurance is going up.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Matt Cooke played on the first line for a good chunk of last season

It could very well be it. He's made peanuts his whole career and has had a daughter since he was 16.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
If you’re wondering how big a draw Derian Hatcher, Chris Chelios, Brian Smolinski and Sean Avery are with the UHL’s Motor City (Detroit) Mechanics, consider this: They played home games last Friday and Saturday. Attendance was 1,535 and 2,204, respectively, in a 3,300-seat rink! That tells us that Detroit isn’t HockeyTown but rather Red Wings Town!
This is from the end of the article posted above, love how the NHLPA supporters say how its all about watching the players and not the teams. Maybe the UHL will have to cut the $500/week cap to $400/week.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
stan fischler's articles are a joke. he has a tendency to fabricate problems or greatly exaggerate any point against the NHLPA. he also exhbits poor journalistic integrity as evidenced by him recycling quotes from the past and presenting them in the context of the present. this guy lives off verbal sparring and he has nothing to back it up.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Dom Hasek’s threat to retire if the labor dispute continues might not be a bad thing for Ottawa for three reasons: A. He’s overpaid; B. He’s over-the-hill; C. Hasek’s puckstopping style is not what true goaltending is all about.

C is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read. And I've read pretty much every post in this forum.

PantherBlood6*

Michael Ryder? Nils Ekman? Tyler Arnason? Trent Hunter? David Vyborny? Jonathan Cheechoo? Alexandre Daigle?

Don't know how much each of these guys make -- but just by looking at last years stats they all look like possibilities.

Phanuthier*

I have a tendency to think that the $700,000 isn't just salary, as speculated. If it were a fringe NHLer, you think he'd be broke? I'd bet that the guys below $1 mill should be smart enough to save their money, be it lockout or retirement or getting his ass shipped to somewhere in Europe like Jeff Shantz.

The $700,000 could be net (after all, alot of guys have extra income outside of hockey. Be it shreddies cerreal commericals or Joe Sakic's restraunt, or even Jaramir Jagr's line of women's fashions) and not just NHL salary.

adurn

Dec 22, 2003
I take it the player must be a team's player rep to even be in the meeting? That should discount a lot of players mentioned.

Esche makes $775,000 per season, just got married so he doesn't want to go to Europe, and is a Flyers player rep. The first-line player thing is throwing me off, though.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

STEVE MOORE !

Though he didn't really stand up but sorta crouched ...

eh ..

tough crowd.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Isle's GM Milbury said on WFAN out of NY with Chriss Russo that Jason Blake had to sell his new home on Long Island because he was running short on $$$. Plus these guys look at net not gross..they haven't figured that out yet :lol

OilerMania83

Nov 21, 2003
Spruce Grove
Stan Fischler said:
One of Uncle Sam’s best, young ice products, 17-year-old Phil Kessel, has pulled an upset. The Madison, Wisconsin native was earmarked for his homestate’s college. Instead, the fleet forward deked Wisconsin for Minnesota. Phil is the consensus Number One pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Is Kessel the consensus #1 pick?

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
jericholic19 said:
stan fischler's articles are a joke. he has a tendency to fabricate problems or greatly exaggerate any point against the NHLPA. he also exhbits poor journalistic integrity as evidenced by him recycling quotes from the past and presenting them in the context of the present. this guy lives off verbal sparring and he has nothing to back it up.

That's a tad harsh. The man is more experienced than just about anyone in hockey today when it comes to journalism, and actually writes very good articles, not to mention books. I happen to think he's a very good author.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->