Who do you take at 9th Overall

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Still not seeing the move up focus being on going from 8 to 4 or 5.

My feeling is that any potential move would be one of the later first rounders, most likely our second highest first. I could see the team looking to move up a few spots there if they really like a guy.

Reactions: Pizza

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
seems to me that this draft allows for quantity and that allows for a chance to hit on a few gems in the top 100.

if ever theres been a draft where you keep your picks, do your home work (draft mainly euros after rnd 1) and swing for the fence a few times, its this one.

there are some real value opportunities in that earlty 2nd to early 3rd territory. the defenseman in this draft are just sick.

would be a good draft to have say 10 picks overall and 3 in the first round. wait......

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ

My feeling is that any potential move would be one of the later first rounders, most likely our second highest first. I could see the team looking to move up a few spots there if they really like a guy.

I agree that a move up from one of the later picks is more likely, just given the historic reluctance of teams in the top 5 to move out of it. But, with that said, I don't think a move up to 4 or 5 is unlikely. Gorton has shown eagerness to make a trade up into the top 5-10 in previous drafts - the rumor about him having a deal in place with Edmonton for 4OA in 2016, trading for the 7OA pick last year. And now he actually has some valuable draft capital to use in a deal this time around.

Again, depending on how the lottery shakes out, I think it's more likely we keep our top pick than use it to move up...but it won't surprise me if Gorton at least tries to make it happen.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
At 8? I'm not really interested in anyone other than Bouchard, Dobson or Farabee.

Kupari is probably the one I would want the least at that spot.

Veleno and Lundestrom would feel a little redundant at this point.

agree with your take.

i would take 2 of those 3 as well and then add any number of euros after that.

we need that anchor reliable 2 way dman then a dynamic do it all forward.

after that, im perfectly fine drafting higher end hit or miss talent with upside.

not afraid of smaller players at all. not afraid of russians one bit. i like czechs and swedes as well.

high end talent, smart intuitive hockey sense and good wheels. thats my criteria.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I'll throw out a few hot takes / questions for discussion's sake:

- I think Kotkaniemi and Kravstov should be in the top 8-10 and I'd bet the Rangers think they do too. Kotkaniemi scored at a higher rate in Liiga in his pre-draft season than Aho, Teravainen, or Kapanen despite being one of the youngest players in the draft. In the regular season, Kravstov scored 1 point less than Kaprizov and Kuznetsov, 2 points less than Panarin, and 5 more points than Buchnevich did in his pre-draft season. And then he almost scored a point-per-game in the playoffs. Previous Rangers picks like Andersson, Chytil, Buchnevich, and Saarela indicate that the Rangers value high production relative to a player's age in professional leagues.
- I would take either of those players over Tkachuk or Farabee and, potentially, Wahlstrom, who I worry have looked better than they are because they play next to Jack Hughes.
- I don't understand why Noah Dobson and Ty Smith are potential top 10 picks, but Calen Addison, who has scored at the same rate and is the youngest of the 3, is regularly projected in the second round.
- It seems to me like Bouchard might be underappreciated. He's scored at almost the same rate as Zadina in a tougher league while playing defense. Everyone knocks his skating, but when I watch his highlights, he regularly gets behind the other team's defensemen, including cases where he carries the puck past them to create scoring chances. I don't understand how he could do that, while playing solid defense, if he's such a bad skater.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

- It seems to me like Bouchard might be underappreciated. He's scored at almost the same rate as Zadina in a tougher league while playing defense. Everyone knocks his skating, but when I watch his highlights, he regularly gets behind the other team's defensemen, including cases where he carries the puck past them to create scoring chances. I don't understand how he could do that, while playing solid defense, if he's such a bad skater.

Because it’s juniors.

He isn’t bad straight ahead, it’s the agility that is worrisome. I’d rather it be the other way around, much easier to fix.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

As many as been saying this draft is stacked with talent. It seems to me that we have assets to spend. Spend them and add picks now and for next year even (another super deep draft).

That's what makes sense to me after looking at all the feedback here.

Add another pick in the top 15 or twenty in this year's draft if possible or failing that even later. I'd do this rather than trying to move up with that first pick wherever it eventually falls.

4 Picks in round 1 would be my goal.

That's what I see them doing among a number of available scenarios.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

- I think Kotkaniemi and Kravstov should be in the top 8-10 and I'd bet the Rangers think they do too. Kotkaniemi scored at a higher rate in Liiga in his pre-draft season than Aho, Teravainen, or Kapanen despite being one of the youngest players in the draft. In the regular season, Kravstov scored 1 point less than Kaprizov and Kuznetsov, 2 points less than Panarin, and 5 more points than Buchnevich did in his pre-draft season. And then he almost scored a point-per-game in the playoffs. Previous Rangers picks like Andersson, Chytil, Buchnevich, and Saarela indicate that the Rangers value high production relative to a player's age in professional leagues.
- I would take either of those players over Tkachuk or Farabee and, potentially, Wahlstrom, who I worry have looked better than they are because they play next to Jack Hughes.
- I don't understand why Noah Dobson and Ty Smith are potential top 10 picks, but Calen Addison, who has scored at the same rate and is the youngest of the 3, is regularly projected in the second round.

good stuff.

kravstov is a guy who will be someones gem. he's a high end big time talent. a horse of a kid too. he projects to be a prototypical skill power forward.

i still like farabees overall 2 way game better. he uses his teammates better, shows me more understanding of the game and too me, is the more polished player.

as for bouchard, this skating thing seems to have taken on a life of its own. to me, his agility is fine. he's plenty nimble and can make all the plays at pace. my only concern is the same as many who watch him alot, he doesnt have a real fast first few steps. thats it. once at speed, and especially with the puck, he's fluid and plenty fast with the puck. he gets up ice with ease and can join the rush like a 4th forward.

Reactions: ponzu4u and Lays

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
good stuff.

kravstov is a guy who will be someones gem. he's a high end big time talent. a horse of a kid too. he projects to be a prototypical skill power forward.

i still like farabees overall 2 way game better. he uses his teammates better, shows me more understanding of the game and too me, is the more polished player.

as for bouchard, this skating thing seems to have taken on a life of its own. to me, his agility is fine. he's plenty nimble and can make all the plays at pace. my only concern is the same as many who watch him alot, he doesnt have a real fast first few steps. thats it. once at speed, and especially with the puck, he's fluid and plenty fast with the puck. he gets up ice with ease and can join the rush like a 4th forward.

Personally, I find Bouchard to be slippery.

I think his skating might be the difference between his ceiling being a first pair vs. a second pair defenseman, but I don’t think it’s so much of an issue that it would be considered a weakness.

Reactions: Bozle

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

A lot here but let me help

1. I’m really weary of Kotkaniemi, there are a lot of red flags with him. His skating is a bit awkward and his hockey IQ is really questionable at times (I have him at 10 on my own list lol) id prefer Farabee over him. Kravtsov I do really like and there’s really nothing wrong with him but again, Farabee. Farabee is just more involved and better defensively. Offensively they’re a wash

2. Wahlstrom and Farabee are both very good players and Jack Hughes does NOT make them look better. Wahlstrom has the best shot in this draft class and has size and uses it. Farabee I’ve been drooling over forever. Wahlstrom is a physical Brock Boeser (not saying he’ll be as good), kid has an insane shot. Could work on his effort level though but he’ll still be a really good player. Farabee is a line driver, reminds me of Hall/Parise a lot and does everything for a line. He’s not some safe, boring, low upside guy. He has EVERYTHING you want in a player. He is above average in every category except strength (easy-ish fix)

3. Regarding Calen Addison
He doesn’t have the upside that Dobson and Smith do. Dobson is also miles ahead defensively and much bigger and Smith is a little bit better defensively. Smith is also a little bit taller. Dobson+Smith are also among the best skaters in this draft where as Calen is really good, but isn’t at the top. Also, he’s not dynamic and highly skilled like everyone seems to think. I don’t see high upside in him, he plays a safe game. I’ve watched all 3 quite a bit and Addison really isn’t on their level and he benefits a lot off the PP. I’d stay away from undersized offense oriented defenseman who aren’t dynamic. Addison is a nice prospect but isn’t Smith/Dobson good

4. Bouchard isn’t a terrible skater (about average) it’s just that he lacks high end speed. There are also questions about his offense being able to translate to the next level. He’s a high IQ player though and I have him at 8th. Wouldn’t mind picking him up but I prefer Dobson. And he’s pretty fairly rated usually around the 8 spot.
Hope this helps in any way?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Too little controversy in this thread. How about this:

Who you do NOT want at 8 from these options?
Smith-I don’t see top pairing potential in him like I see in Dobson/Bouchard
Bouchard would be my second option at 8th if Dobson weren’t available but I’d be really hesitant to pick him. Something about him makes me afraid to draft him. Would still probably go with him though.
Lundestrom-overrated and if we pick him with any first rounder I’d be annoyed. He’s ranked in my own late 20s and we don’t need him at all
Kupari people seem to think has insane upside if he pans out but it’s not even that..some people seem to think he has elite potential which I find a bit funny. Way too many red flags with him that I’d be hesitant to draft him in the top 25 ish
Veleno-like someone else said, redundant. I like him though and feel like he gets shit on for no other reason than not living up to the exceptional hype
Also, don’t want Tkachuk. Not what this team needs at all
Boqvist I’m realllllly weary of, I like him a lot and have him around 6-7? But I don’t know if I want us taking him. If he’s there at 8 though I think long and hard between him and Dobson, probably end up going with Dobson

Pretty much, I wouldn’t be happy with anyone else but Dobson, Bouchard, or Farabee in that order. Kravtsov id be okay with but I don’t think we’ll pick him anyway
8th overall-Dobson
26th overall-Kaut/Lundkvist (in that order if both are there)
30th overall-Berggren/Bokk (see above)
Try and trade for another 2nd (Spooner?) so we have 3
Draft Foudy, McLaughlin, Hillis
With the 3rds
Hopefully 2 of
Galenyuk/Demin/Iskhakov/Shafigullin are there
Trade Zucc+Vladdy+2019 2nd for Edmonton’s 9th overall. Some Edmonton fans have agreed this is around fair, may seem like an overpayment from us but I’d do it. Draft Farabee with that pick
Come out of the 2018 draft with
Dobson, Farabee, Kaut/Lundkvist, Berggren/Bokk, Foudy, McLaughlin, Hillis, Shafigullin, Galenyuk.
I just channeled my inner Bern and it felt good. We’d end up with a shit ton of prospects all around the same age which will make it hard to find spots for them and trying to develop them all at once. Also this wasn’t entirely serious because of the potential complications
Next years lineup

Kreider-Zib-Fast
Kovy-Chytil-Buch
Andersson-Hayes-shorter term UFA
Vesey-Nieves/whoever?-Roussel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad