• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
For Bouchard, I have seen a few poster compare him to Jason Garrison, which would not be what I wanted at 9. Semenov had a 103MPH slap shot, but who the hell cares? From point position, slow deflected shots in this era are much more important. Hard shots are only useful from the half wall, if you can hit them first time, with accuracy. That's not many NHL players. The difference between 96MPH and 101 MPH shot isn't that big.

Boqvist is about value and risk. There are a lot of players at 9 who should be close to surefire NHLers. If we're going to gamble on another offensive defenseman, I'd rather do it in the 2nd round with Merkley than at 9 with Boqvist. That he can't skate backwards at an NHL level is very concerning. Inability to separate forwards from the puck in the D zone is one of the things that DeAngelo and Shattenkirk struggle with too, so that's very salient in my considerations right now.

I'm with you on Bouchard.

I don't agree on Boqvist. The overall upside is way to high with the player for lack of being able to separate a player from the puck in the d zone to be a major factor. They have other guys who are capable of doing that.

Reactions: jas and Harbour Dog

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Most experts and scouts who have been watching these kids all year disagree.
I could swap Dobson and Tkachuk without losing sleep, but I don't think Tkachuk has the upside of the people ahead of him. I also think Dobson has the better chance of being a first pairing dman that can carry a pairing, than Tkachuk has at carrying a first line. Scouts may be inflating him due to intangibles like bloodlines, and I'm not saying he is a bad player, I stand by what I posted though.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If Tkachuk comes down to us at 9, that's a steal of a pick.

If we spend assets to move up to 5 or 7 so that we can grab him, I cry myself to sleep.

Does there seem to be an indication now that Boqvist may drop due to his concussions, or is that more just the result of him being under the microscope for us fans?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I've read that too. But I've also seen quite a few opinions to the contrary. And the fact that he is listed as the 5th or 6th overall prospect in many of the key rankings suggests he has a great shot of making that transition.

What makes Bouchard so appealing is that he plays a style that can easily be transitioned to the pro game. He is big, has a right-handed shot and eats up a lot of ice time. That's the kind of player old-school scouts love. Add that to the fact that he is a smart player that produces at an elite level and you’ve got a prospect that is bound to be selected incredibly high on draft day.

No doubt there are a lot of positive assessments of him. He's not ranked so highly by accident.

But he is going to have to discover new areas of the o-zone ice to be effective from at the pro level. Playing against much stronger competition and not being a great skater is going to make that transition even more difficult.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Hughes
5. Tkachuk
6. Wahlstrom
7. Dobson
8. Boqvist
9. Bouchard
10. Kotkaniemi

I have concerns about Boqvist because of the concussions. Hughes and Dobson are better all around defensemen than he is though. Bouchard very slightly ahead of Kotkaniemi. IMO it's pretty much because I'd prefer a defenseman at 9 and not a forward.

11. Ty Smith
12. Joel Farabee
13. Joseph Veleno
14. Vitali Kravtsov
15. Bode Wilde
16. Barrett Hayton
17. Dominik Bokk
18. Grigori Denisenko
19. Akil Thomas
20. Alexander Alexeeyev

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have concerns about Boqvist because of the concussions.
Huge concerns about the concussions. And beginning to get bad feelings about Bouchard. Which is why I expect one to be there and for the Rangers to pick them. Dobson has always been my choice but beginning to think that Kotkaniemi would be the choice if draft goes as you lay out and Dobson is gone. The other thing about Kotkaniemi is that he has size and Gorton seems to like that. At least based on what he did in Boston.

Reactions: Galvatron and bl02

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Huge concerns about the concussions. And beginning to get bad feelings about Bouchard. Which is why I expect one to be there and for the Rangers to pick them. Dobson has always been my choice but beginning to think that Kotkaniemi would be the choice if draft goes as you lay out and Dobson is gone. The other thing about Kotkaniemi is that he has size and Gorton seems to like that. At least based on what he did in Boston.

If Dobson is gone, that's almost certainly good for us. I keep hearing people saying that the Wings are in love with Bouchard, so imo it'll be one of Wahlstrom, Boqvist or Hughes that falls to us. Which would be nuts, and I'd be exuberant

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Wanted Noah in feb/march still want him now. Unfortunately, seems like some of the teams in front of us may want him as well.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If Dobson is gone, that's almost certainly good for us. I keep hearing people saying that the Wings are in love with Bouchard, so imo it'll be one of Wahlstrom, Boqvist or Hughes that falls to us. Which would be nuts, and I'd be exuberant
That would be the only positive. I just don't see Wahlstrom dropping to us. I hope i'm wrong. Also hope i'm wrong about Hughes not dropping.
As I type this Dobson destroying Regina and its 4-1 Titan now.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

I would like Bouchard over Boqvist or Hughes.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Which scenario would you prefer:

A)

9. Noah Dobson
26. Serron Noel or Denisenko

B)

9. Oliver Wahlstrom
26. Bode Wilde or Nils Lundkvist (just because I love his name)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad