Who do you take at 9th Overall

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Seriously, even though this draft is "deep", I still think the Rangers should trade up. If it is as deep as people are saying, then it becomes even more worthwhile to move into let's say the 3-5/6 spots than it might be in other drafts when once the first 2 picks are taken it a huge crap shoot after that.

Reactions: Riche16

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Seriously, even though this draft is "deep", I still think the Rangers should trade up. If it is as deep as people are saying, then it becomes even more worthwhile to move into let's say the 3-5/6 spots than it might be in other drafts when once the first 2 picks are taken it a huge crap shoot after that.

I think when people are saying it is a deep draft, they are also referring to the fact that you can get some really good players late in the first round, and possibly into the second. No need to trade up if you can get a stud at 9 and 25. That said, the Rangers could certainly move up (or try to) if they have their eye on someone in particular.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Tkachuk
5. Boqvist
6. Hughes
7. Wahlstrom
8. Dobson

Worst case scenario for me. Regardless of order.

Why, because you don't like Bouchard? He and your 8 have pretty much been the consensus top 9 for a while.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Why, because you don't like Bouchard? He and your 8 have pretty much been the consensus top 9 for a while.

I hope we don't take Bouchard, yeah. The more I read on him, the more I worry about how well his game will translate to the pro level.

Only basing it off of numerous scouting reports and random bits of compiled data, but that's all I have, and it's enough to make me wary.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I think when people are saying it is a deep draft, they are also referring to the fact that you can get some really good players late in the first round, and possibly into the second. No need to trade up if you can get a stud at 9 and 25. That said, the Rangers could certainly move up (or try to) if they have their eye on someone in particular.

A deep draft usually means more than one possible home run pick, which are usually gone by the first 2 picks.

Every draft has a few players every round up until the 5+ [even then], so if thats what people meant by a deep draft, they were probably just being full of shit and vague when the Rangers didn't tank down enough.

†most likely scenario and not surprised

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I hope we don't take Bouchard, yeah. The more I read on him, the more I worry about how well his game will translate to the pro level.

Only basing it off of numerous scouting reports and random bits of compiled data, but that's all I have, and it's enough to make me wary.

I've read that too. But I've also seen quite a few opinions to the contrary. And the fact that he is listed as the 5th or 6th overall prospect in many of the key rankings suggests he has a great shot of making that transition.

What makes Bouchard so appealing is that he plays a style that can easily be transitioned to the pro game. He is big, has a right-handed shot and eats up a lot of ice time. That's the kind of player old-school scouts love. Add that to the fact that he is a smart player that produces at an elite level and you’ve got a prospect that is bound to be selected incredibly high on draft day.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
FApIw0v.png

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Reminds me of a night last year where we were thinking of the longest name we could think of using hockey people.

The only thing I can remember was this:

Michal Jordan Nolan Patrick Roy :laugh:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Savant Top 15 (subject to change)

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Hughes
5. Wahlstrom
6. Boqvist
7. Dobson
8. Tkachuk
9. Kotkaniemi
10. Bouchard
11. Smith
12. Farabee
13. Veleno
14. Hayton
15. Wilde

After that, I think 16 - 32 is very close together. Probably 33-45 is similar to that tier too. Rangers should be able to get 5 good players.

I'm not ready to put Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk yet but I could change my mind.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The scouting reports on Bouchard and Boqvist are really concerning to me. Bouchard has all the similar concerns as Gormley did.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The scouting reports on Bouchard and Boqvist are really concerning to me. Bouchard has all the similar concerns as Gormley did.

Eh Gormley was just super vanilla. He was the classic case of a guy who got the label as having a balanced game... which meant that he was good at nothing.

I hope that we stay the f*** away from Bouchard, but his shot and IQ are miles better than Gormley's ever were.

What worries you with Boqvist?

What makes Bouchard so appealing is that he plays a style that can easily be transitioned to the pro game. He is big, has a right-handed shot and eats up a lot of ice time. That's the kind of player old-school scouts love. Add that to the fact that he is a smart player that produces at an elite level and you’ve got a prospect that is bound to be selected incredibly high on draft day.

He's a smart player that produces at an elite level... In a league where his movement issues won't hinder him.

Good offensive defensemen don't move as poorly as he does. Those openings in the OHL are going to be much tougher to create in the NHL.

I wouldn't touch him with a top 20 pick, but hes likely to go top 5-7.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Savant Top 15 (subject to change)

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Hughes
5. Wahlstrom
6. Boqvist
7. Dobson
8. Tkachuk
9. Kotkaniemi
10. Bouchard
11. Smith
12. Farabee
13. Veleno
14. Hayton
15. Wilde

After that, I think 16 - 32 is very close together. Probably 33-45 is similar to that tier too. Rangers should be able to get 5 good players.

I'm not ready to put Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk yet but I could change my mind.
Tkachuk at 8?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Eh Gormley was just super vanilla. He was the classic case of a guy who got the label as having a balanced game... which meant that he was good at nothing.

I hope that we stay the **** away from Bouchard, but his shot and IQ are miles better than Gormley's ever were.

What worries you with Boqvist?

He's a smart player that produces at an elite level... In a league where his movement issues won't hinder him.

Good offensive defensemen don't move as poorly as he does. Those openings in the OHL are going to be much tougher to create in the NHL.

I wouldn't touch him with a top 20 pick, but hes likely to go top 5-7.

For Bouchard, I have seen a few poster compare him to Jason Garrison, which would not be what I wanted at 9. Semenov had a 103MPH slap shot, but who the hell cares? From point position, slow deflected shots in this era are much more important. Hard shots are only useful from the half wall, if you can hit them first time, with accuracy. That's not many NHL players. The difference between 96MPH and 101 MPH shot isn't that big.

Boqvist is about value and risk. There are a lot of players at 9 who should be close to surefire NHLers. If we're going to gamble on another offensive defenseman, I'd rather do it in the 2nd round with Merkley than at 9 with Boqvist. That he can't skate backwards at an NHL level is very concerning. Inability to separate forwards from the puck in the D zone is one of the things that DeAngelo and Shattenkirk struggle with too, so that's very salient in my considerations right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad