Who do you take at 7th (now 8th) overall?

Who do you take at 7th overall?

• Total voters

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Question is who do you take. I like Kravtsov and Hughes the most in our range. Seeing as we most likely pick 8th. I like the Russians this year more than most and would love to trade back and get Kravtsov and trade up and get Denisenko with Nashville’s.

I also would be fine with Wahlstrom at 7 or 8. Even Hughes. If we take Tkachuk I’ll be a little upset but that’s it. I like this draft a lot.

When I saw Tkachuk in the conference tourney and NCAA tourney he looked terrible. He seemed less engaging than his brother which is funny cause I heard the opposite.

I think we need to go back to drafting for high potential again. For a few years they seem to have drafted for floor more to find guys to compliment the core but now we need to take a few more swings here.

Agree-- 100% on limited views of Tkachuk... did nothing to impress me... only value is bigger than other 18 yr. olds- and goes to net.

Love- stats from Kravtsov in KHL vs. Men
Hear- great things about- Wahlstrom

But never really got the chance to see these two guys...

Anyone- have insight on Kravtsov or Wahlstrom? Actually see them play? Please chime in-- But I am NOT buying Tkachuk- size and Genes (which are a lot)... But in 3-4 games I have seen him... did not impress

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Agree-- 100% on limited views of Tkachuk... did nothing to impress me... only value is bigger than other 18 yr. olds- and goes to net.

Love- stats from Kravtsov in KHL vs. Men
Hear- great things about- Wahlstrom

But never really got the chance to see these two guys...

Anyone- have insight on Kravtsov or Wahlstrom? Actually see them play? Please chime in-- But I am NOT buying Tkachuk- size and Genes (which are a lot)... But in 3-4 games I have seen him... did not impress

Wahlstrom is an absolute stud and while I understand this Top 10 is pretty deep and top 3-4 especially, it is odd to me he hasn't gotten more attention. He has size (6-1 205), skill in spades, and his numbers are off the charts this season. He can do everything. If he somehow falls to the Hawks and they don't take him I don't even know what to say.

Reactions: wladyslaw

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Wahlstrom is an absolute stud and while I understand this Top 10 is pretty deep and top 3-4 especially, it is odd to me he hasn't gotten more attention. He has size (6-1 205), skill in spades, and his numbers are off the charts this season. He can do everything. If he somehow falls to the Hawks and they don't take him I don't even know what to say.
The Hawks will be bringing a jersey with the last name of the player they will select at the draft with that first pick, so they likely will bring 7 jerseys - I heard from a very reputable source, that the last names on the jerseys will be the following: Wahlstrom, Wahlstrom, Wahlstrom, Wahlstrom, Wahlstrom, Wahlstrom and Wahlstrom....lol!! Bowman will not pass on this kid, very confident in that.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
The Hawks will be bringing a jersey with the last name of the player they will select at the draft with that first pick, so they likely will bring 7 jerseys - I heard from a very reputable source, that the last names on the jerseys will be the following: Wahlstrom, Wahlstrom, Wahlstrom, Wahlstrom, Wahlstrom, Wahlstrom and Wahlstrom....lol!! Bowman will not pass on this kid, very confident in that.
I'm not even considering him bc I don't see how he's still on the board when we pick unless we jump into the top 3 haha.

But yeah, if we're picking 7-10 and he's still around you run to the podium, mocking at least 5 other teams on the way there.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm not even considering him bc I don't see how he's still on the board when we pick unless we jump into the top 3 haha.

But yeah, if we're picking 7-10 and he's still around you run to the podium, mocking at least 5 other teams on the way there.

It's not going to matter when the Hawks win the lottery and select Dahlin #1OA. :naughty:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't draft anybody.

I move one or both 1st round picks in a package for Karlsson, OEL, etc. Somebody that can help us now while the Toews/Kane/Keith window is still at least a little bit open. Nobody in the 7-30 range is going to make an immediate enough impact to be of worth.

Wait til the legit tear-down and rebuild to worry about early draft picks.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't draft anybody.

I move one or both 1st round picks in a package for Karlsson, OEL, etc. Somebody that can help us now while the Toews/Kane/Keith window is still at least a little bit open. Nobody in the 7-30 range is going to make an immediate enough impact to be of worth.

Don't think it's a good idea at all. Terrible idea, actually. I don't think this core has an open window, anymore, with the exception of maybe one of the core having a career/hot season and making a lucky run at one more. I'm all about building for the future right now. The only thing this core can be for a Hawks Cup in the near future, is a supporting cast, IMO. You need young, very talented players in the pipeline.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That's a woeful suggestion that is not designed for a win now or lose now. Better bet is bank on a down year again get another high pick and pay while building around the younger guys still here.

Because you're not gonna swiftly get a total rebuild. All you've done is hold on like clubs like Detroit, new York, or Vancouver have and both prevented greater young talent adds to no results.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Don't think it's a good idea at all. Terrible idea, actually. I don't think this core has an open window, anymore, with the exception of maybe one of the core having a career/hot season and making a lucky run at one more. I'm all about building for the future right now. The only thing this core can be for a Hawks Cup in the near future, is a supporting cast, IMO. You need young, very talented players in the pipeline.

Fair enough.

I've not of the mind that it's wise to build for the future while also trying to win currently.

If I felt the Blackhawks were genuinely willing to bottom out for the next several years, then sure. Use the picks you have. But I don't believe that at all.

I think they're still in win-now mode, rightly or wrongly, and if that's the tac you want to take, then you go all in for it, you don't go in a little bit here, but prepare for the future a little bit there.

Go full out in one direction, then tear it down and rebuild. 100% in one direction or the other.

Otherwise you're stuck in San Jose Sharks territory or NYR territory (til this season), never good enough to win, never bad enough to get legit game-breaking talent to put your team over the hump.

Reactions: migi and ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Fair enough.

I've not of the mind that it's wise to build for the future while also trying to win currently.

If I felt the Blackhawks were genuinely willing to bottom out for the next several years, then sure. Use the picks you have. But I don't believe that at all.

I think they're still in win-now mode, rightly or wrongly, and if that's the tac you want to take, then you go all in for it, you don't go in a little bit here, but prepare for the future a little bit there.

Go full out in one direction, then tear it down and rebuild. 100% in one direction or the other.

Otherwise you're stuck in San Jose Sharks territory or NYR territory (til this season), never good enough to win, never bad enough to get legit game-breaking talent to put your team over the hump.

The thing is, though, is I think they have far more talent on the team already, and in the pipeline already, than some. I think they're one game-breaking forward, and one top pairing D from being a contender again. Maybe they can do it on the fly, and maybe not. My hope is they can. Because I don't want to watch basement-dwelling hockey for the next 3-4 years to go through a real rebuild. Just watching this season was tough enough. I don't think I watched a complete game after about Thanksgiving. I would start every single one. And by the third period, most were turned off, or I found something else to distract me from terrible play and terrible coaching.

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The thing is, though, is I think they have far more talent on the team already, and in the pipeline already, than some. I think they're one game-breaking forward, and one top pairing D from being a contender again. Maybe they can do it on the fly, and maybe not. My hope is they can. Because I don't want to watch basement-dwelling hockey for the next 3-4 years to go through a real rebuild. Just watching this season was tough enough. I don't think I watched a complete game after about Thanksgiving. I would start every single one. And by the third period, most were turned off, or I found something else to distract me from terrible play and terrible coaching.

Yeah, I can understand that. Part of the reason I've been kind of a ghost around here (between traveling for fun), is that I just kind of lost interest down the stretch once it was clear they were going to miss the playoffs, but had no shot of really improving their draft odds.

It was a rough season.

I'm just not sure anybody they draft with the picks they have helps before 2 to 3 years from now, at which point Toews and Keith are even older and even Kane's offense is probably starting to slow down. So you get these new talents, right when your pillars REALLY start crumbling and you're stuck with a stronger supporting cast but a weaker core evening each other out.

I don't think they will trade both picks, for the record. But it's what I'd do, cause I honestly think the only shot this team has within the next 2-3 years is if Keith gets some legit help.

EDIT: And for the first time in a long time, between various forms of mismanagement, it seems like legit dmen are actually possible to acquire.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'm not trading the pick for a soon to be UFA.

Keep the pick, hope to luck out and have cheap Talent. Need to Keep Young Talent to Play with Schmaltz and DeBrincat soon enough. Kane and Toews will be there and Saad had a down year but is still Young. No Need to trade cost controlled Players. I like the Top9 of this draft and having one of those picks will help a Team for the future.

Reactions: Enrico Ciccone

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Fair enough.

I think that the Hawks are in a "win now" mode currently and that it is unrealistic.

This team is going nowhere this next season and needs to be built up for the future with picks and do whatever is possible so that in 3 years or so they can then field a legit "win now" kind of team.

This roster --- especially with Q at the helm --- even with Crow back, is going nowhere. Invest in the future --- and the best initial move towards that end would be a new coach now. That, however, is not happening.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't draft anybody.

If you’re going to do that, why not just sink the money in Carlson while still making the pick at 8?

You’re spending the money on an older guy either way, which creates challenges for re-signing the young guys. May as well choose the route that still nets you a potential future star.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
If you’re going to do that, why not just sink the money in Carlson while still making the pick at 8?

You’re spending the money on an older guy either way, which creates challenges for re-signing the young guys. May as well choose the route that still nets you a potential future star.

Because I don't think Carlson is that good and the numbers being thrown around for him are big overpays. I think he's having a great year, but I don't think he can replicate it.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Because I don't think Carlson is that good and the numbers being thrown around for him are big overpays. I think he's having a great year, but I don't think he can replicate it.

That's obviously a big worry with him. However, how do you know Karlsson, OEL, etc won't fall off the cliff and be unable to replicate their recent seasons?

You're still taking a similar risk with those trades, and you're losing control of the number 8 pick [and maybe 27] to do it.

With Carlson, you're just risking money.

For the record, I wouldn't overpay for Carlson or trade the picks. But if I had to choose one, I'm signing Carlson and keeping the picks.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
That's obviously a big worry with him. However, how do you know Karlsson, OEL, etc won't fall off the cliff and be unable to replicate their recent seasons?

You're still taking a similar risk with those trades, and you're losing control of the number 8 pick [and maybe 27] to do it.

With Carlson, you're just risking money.

For the record, I wouldn't overpay for Carlson or trade the picks. But if I had to choose one, I'm signing Carlson and keeping the picks.

I don't think you'd have to pay OEL as much as Carlson or Karlsson.

Karlsson has been one of the best dmen in the league every year since 2012, and he's only 27. Even if he starts to decline due to long-term effects from his ankle surgery this season, he's still a legit top-4 PMD and a PP QB. Considering how he's bounced back from injury before, I expect he'll bounce back next season.

I don't think this team/core has much longer to contend. I'd rather sell the farm and go all in now then burn it down and rebuild from scratch later, than try and have one-foot in one-foot out and end up with a nice young supporting cast in a few years, but aging pillars that can't carry their end. The 8th and 27th pick won't get you legit game-breakers, and certainly not in time to make an impact in the current window IMO.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Karlsson has been one of the best dmen in the league every year since 2012, and he's only 27. Even if he starts to decline due to long-term effects from his ankle surgery this season, he's still a legit top-4 PMD and a PP QB. Considering how he's bounced back from injury before, I expect he'll bounce back next season.

I don't think this team/core has much longer to contend. I'd rather sell the farm and go all in now then burn it down and rebuild from scratch later, than try and have one-foot in one-foot out and end up with a nice young supporting cast in a few years, but aging pillars that can't carry their end. The 8th and 27th pick won't get you legit game-breakers, and certainly not in time to make an impact in the current window IMO.
The 8th pick can absolutely get you a game breaker if you make the right pick and the right cards fall.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I hear what you're saying, but I feel like I'd rather move that pick for a younger impact defenseman. Hanifin would have me more interested than Karlsson or Carlson.

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada
I would much rather use the draft picks to draft young talent than on some last ditch effort to win now. Battle of the Bulge didn't go so well. The FA class isn't too terrible either and the talent already on the roster may not need a complete overhaul to get back to competitive

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It definitely wouldn’t be surprising to see them send the 2 1sts out in a package for Karlsson.

A healthy, prime level Karlsson might be just what the doctor ordered to make the team dangerous again but it would be the gamble of all gambles to trade for him now. Being that he only has 1 year left, you’d have to assume they would resign him immediately. If he flopped like last year, we’d be too good to attain high picks and have no cap space for a long time.

However, if this is Stan’s last stand as GM, that’s exactly the type of move he would make. Too bad we can’t fast forward to the draft.

Reactions: migi and Rooh

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It definitely wouldn’t be surprising to see them send the 2 1sts out in a package for Karlsson.

A healthy, prime level Karlsson might be just what the doctor ordered to make the team dangerous again but it would be the gamble of all gambles to trade for him now. Being that he only has 1 year left, you’d have to assume they would resign him immediately. If he flopped like last year, we’d be too good to attain high picks and have no cap space for a long time.

However, if this is Stan’s last stand as GM, that’s exactly the type of move he would make. Too bad we can’t fast forward to the draft.

How about Toews and the two first for Karlsson? Then Toews can finally play with his buddy Duchene. :sarcasm:

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Karlsson would be great, at least one more run, favorite player outside Hawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->