Speculation: Who do you see being waived from your team?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I liked Wotherspoon in junior and thought he was a good pick by the Flames.
Do you see any hope for him becoming a regular NHL'er at this point?

As a Flames fan I liked him a lot more than most fans, and the team apparently, but I think there is very little chance of that happening.

Maybe on a think blueline he could be the 7th guy on a team as he doesn't really hurt a team with terrible defensive play but he also doesn't really do anything very well. The NHL level he is ok at best defensively, not good enough of a puck mover, he doesn't create offense, he isn't very physical.

I don't think he would tank your team filling in for a game or two but he just doesn't have enough to be in the line-up every night.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
This is Habs roster:

Forwards:
Drouin, Patch, Gallagher
Danault, Domi, Lehkonen
Plekanec, Scherbak, Byron
Froese, McCaron, Hudon
Shaw, Deslauriers, De La Rose
Rychel. Armia, Peca
Chaput, Agostina

20 players for 13-14 spots

That mean 4-5 waivers...

Waiver: Froese, Rychel, McCarron, De La Rose

Def:

Petry- Mete (no waiver but will play nhl)
Alzner- Reilly
Ouellet- Schlemko
Valiev- Lernout
Juulsen (no waiver)

Weber (surgery, out until dec)

Waiver def: Valiev, Schlemko

DLR isn’t getting waived unless he has an atrocious (I mean Atrocious with a capital A) training camp.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Depends on how the season goes but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kadri waived and bought out by 2021. He’s already on the decline and it’s only going to get worse by the year end

Reactions: Magic Man

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Depends on how the season goes but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kadri waived and bought out by 2021. He’s already on the decline and it’s only going to get worse by the year end

I dont like the leafs either dog but come on LOL

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
I don't think there is any chance Mcbackup gets waived , after last session he's got the backup spot on lockdown baring injury, Babcock tends to favor the vets

I agree that McElhinney has been lights out as a backup but the roster decisions are Dubas and I don't see him risking the 25 year old AHL goalie of the year for a 34 year old over 15 starts a season. They've spent too much time developing him. Unless Sparks is traded my money would be on Mcbackup and Pickard being waived. IMO McElhinney is also the most likely to pass waivers given his age and he could be a good mentor to Kaskisuo.

They could potentially run 3 goalies to start the season if Ozhiganov(waiver exempt) is with the Marlies. If Sparks struggles then McElhinney is there to pick up the slack and Sparks makes himself less likely to be picked up on waivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: biotk

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree that McElhinney has been lights out as a backup but the roster decisions are Dubas and I don't see him risking the 25 year old AHL goalie of the year for a 34 year old over 15 starts a season. They've spent too much time developing him. Unless Sparks is traded my money would be on Mcbackup and Pickard being waived. IMO McElhinney is also the most likely to pass waivers given his age and he could be a good mentor to Kaskisuo.

They could potentially run 3 goalies to start the season if Ozhiganov(waiver exempt) is with the Marlies. If Sparks struggles then McElhinney is there to pick up the slack and Sparks makes himself less likely to be picked up on waivers.

So you think this team is run by idiots, you must believe this team is run by idiots as doing what you suggest would mean this team is run by idiots as it would completely destroy the goaltending depth

Both Mac and Pickard would likely be claimed after what they have done in Toronto which would leave you with Andersen, Sparks a raw rookie in terms of NHL experience followed by sweet f*** all, which would mean if Andersen goes down you are screwed.

IF you are going to waive Mac and Pickard you better go find a vet because you can't have Andersen followed by Sparks and then NOTHING after that

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
So you think this team is run by idiots, you must believe this team is run by idiots as doing what you suggest would mean this team is run by idiots as it would completely destroy the goaltending depth

Both Mac and Pickard would likely be claimed after what they have done in Toronto which would leave you with Andersen, Sparks a raw rookie in terms of NHL experience followed by sweet **** all, which would mean if Andersen goes down you are screwed.

IF you are going to waive Mac and Pickard you better go find a vet because you can't have Andersen followed by Sparks and then NOTHING after that
I'm a little bit lost.

Do you want them to keep 3 goalies ?

Do you want them to trade Sparks/McBackup/Pickard ?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think the most likely candidate for the Red Wings is Martin Frk. I have a hard time seeing where he fits, maybe on the 3rd line, but with all the young staff coming in, he'll most likely be the odd man out.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
For the Habs, waiver eligible and battling for 14th forward (depending on Byron's shoulder):

Froese, McCarron, Peca. (likely Peca stays)

... battling for 7th D:

Schlemko, Valiev, Lernout, Ouellet

It wouldn't be a complete shock if Mete not having a great camp, starts in the AHL so the Habs can get a longer look at Lernout/Valiev.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

Both Mac and Pickard would likely be claimed after what they have done in Toronto which would leave you with Andersen, Sparks a raw rookie in terms of NHL experience followed by sweet **** all, which would mean if Andersen goes down you are screwed.

At some point this season we're probably going to have to waive two goalies. It might hurt our depth, that's life, I'm sure we can find an AHL vet to put on the Marlies. McElhinney is the best bet to make it through waivers and if not he's the easiest loss to swallow. He was fantastic last season but let's be real, he's 34 and played well above his career averages. We shouldn't be banking on those results going forward.

Reactions: Dustin

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Brett Ritchie, Remi Elie (if he requires waivers, not 100% sure), Roman Polak, etc.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Hopefully the Canucks waive granlund/Gaunce/motte/Goldobin

Leaving them with

Baertschi horvat boeser
Dahlen Pettersson virtanen
Eriksson sutter leipsic
Gagner beagle Roussel
Schaller

Edler stetcher
Hutton tanev
Pouliot gudbranson
Mdz biega

But the Canucks probably end up keeping Goldobin/granlund up, waive biega and send down dahlen

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
I could easily see: Beaulieu. Depending on trade conversations the loser out of Larsson / Girgensons.

Beaulieu is likely at the top of the list - Borgen & Guhle are coming along nicely.

Agree with Larsson and Girgensons. This is likely Girgs last chance to resurrect the Nolan era version of himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad