Who Do You (Realistically) Want to be the Next Head Coach of the New York Rangers?

Who Do You (Realistically) Want to be the Next Head Coach of the New York Rangers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I wonder if Dave Hackstool is someone they are looking at?

He is a good coach. Many coaches need a second chance, and with that said, I don’t think he ever had much to work with. I like that he is coming from Toronto that obviously is doing a lot of good things.

Reactions: Ori

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Of the choices above I suppose I would go with Boudreau. Seems like the best fit for how the team is currently structured. I could live with Gallant or Julien tho from what insiders are saying Gallant may not fit with Dolan.

What I would really like is for Drury/Sather(yuck) to find the next Jon Cooper.

Hard no for Babcock, and Torts would be an insane choice. This is not a team of plumbers which he prefers and putting him with so many very young skill players feels like a recipe for disaster.

Boudreau may not want to be a coach if he's advising Brady Boudreau at the USPHL Level as the family has started a team in Hershey, PA AT THE famed Hersheypark Arena.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's all the obvious ones.

Two available - Gallant and Hartley.
Two in the playoffs - Brind'Amour and Sullivan.

1 of those 4 and I'd be content.

Reactions: Brother Mouzone

Zoot Love

Jul 20, 2020
It would be a disaster by year 2.
maybe. Just how I feel. Would have loved to have won with him in 2012. I don't like how he shortens the bench and the dramatic stuff with the media although entertaining can go too. I just wanted the guy to win here.

Zoot Love

Jul 20, 2020
i think the issue is the energy and intensity you/we saw in the locker room during the playoffs is the same guy screaming in Game 2 of the Regular Season. I think it wears people out.
Thats a great point. I can't remember a game we werent ready to play in 2012. Under AV and Quinn it was not rare for the team to come out totally flat, not ready to play. One of them was a game 7 at home in the east finals. I miss the fire he would light under everybody.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
It's really hard to tell how a coach will be given a certain set of players. Quinn wanted to play a north-south game and no matter what he did, could not get this group to do that. What would the results have been if he was with the Black and Blueshirts of the Cally/Dubi era, etc. Would they have been better, worse?

I really have no clue how any of these guys will do as a coach given the roster make-up. I also tend to see that lots of coaches have similar issues and obviously all get stale sooner rather than later.

I just don't want anyone like Roy or Tocchet who appear to have kept their egos from their playing days.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
maybe. Just how I feel. Would have loved to have won with him in 2012. I don't like how he shortens the bench and the dramatic stuff with the media although entertaining can go too. I just wanted the guy to win here.

i think we all wanted him to win here. As far as the media, Brooks is a burn out. Proposes a goalie as a missing piece of leadership in the locker room. What an burn out

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It's really hard to tell how a coach will be given a certain set of players. Quinn wanted to play a north-south game and no matter what he did, could not get this group to do that. What would the results have been if he was with the Black and Blueshirts of the Cally/Dubi era, etc. Would they have been better, worse?

I really have no clue how any of these guys will do as a coach given the roster make-up. I also tend to see that lots of coaches have similar issues and obviously all get stale sooner rather than later.

I just don't want anyone like Roy or Tocchet who appear to have kept their egos from their playing days.

egos from playing days? Hockey has least egotistical ex-players of all the sports.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Maybe I'm hard headed but I do not like how he has treated some people over the years. I want no part of him.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
People continue to severely underrate coaching. It is an x-factor at the NHL level. Sure these guys have a shelf life and are “replaceable” but to insinuate that coaching doesn’t matter is insane to me.

That’s why there are so many specialized coaches, more so now, than ever before..

Zoot Love

Jul 20, 2020
Maybe I'm hard headed but I do not like how he has treated some people over the years. I want no part of him.
i don't think you're being hard headed. I think thats a major concern and is probably the biggest reason why he wont be the one drury hires. things have to be different if he is hired. i've seen leaders like that get the most out of people. While i love his energy and think he is motivating i also think he is his own worst enemy.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

He is a good coach. Many coaches need a second chance, and with that said, I don’t think he ever had much to work with. I like that he is coming from Toronto that obviously is doing a lot of good things.
I’d really rather let some other team give a coach their chance to find themself. We tried that with Quinn. The only ones I’d take a flyer on would be the Swedes

Reactions: Ola

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Roy has so many red flags IMO. Reading what some previous players have said about him he seems to have done some borderline nearly abusive things - almost similar to Babcock in a way.

In addition Roy seems to be as egotistical a coach as he was a player, and I don’t think that’s ideal for a coach.

Tbh I wouldn’t trust him around our youth.

I agree, he's not even on my list whatsoever. I have him in the same bucket as Claude Julien and Mike Babcock. Absolute NO to those amigos.

Reactions: The Sweetness

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Gallant is going to want big money to coach in the NY situation . I can see him wanting 5 x5 seasons and I can see the Rangers Drury hesitating and attempting to save his owner a few million over a 5 year term . The fly in the ointment is the guy in Carolina . If he pulls out of Carolina....Gallant likely ends up in Seattle at 4x5 and BAM ends up with 3x5 in NY . Canes grab somebody cheap and the owner will be delighted .

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If the Isles beat Pitt, as I assume they will based on the first two games of the series, Pitt fans will no doubt be screaming that Sullivan sucks.

Will he still be one of the darlings of Rangers fans?

If Pitt does beat the Isles. Nah.

Premature stance?

Pageau has been ridiculously good for the Isles.

Edit: Just went to Pitt board. They're already turning on Sullivan. Fans rock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rongomania

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If the Isles beat Pitt, as I assume they will based on the first two games of the series, Pitt fans will no doubt be screaming that Sullivan sucks.

Will he still be one of the darlings of Rangers fans?

If Pitt does beat the Isles. Nah.

Premature stance?

Pageau has been ridiculously good for the Isles.

Edit: Just went to Pitt board. They're already turning on Sullivan. Fans rock.

based on the first 2 games? if it wasn't for some of the worst goaltending i've ever seen by jarry in game 1, the pens could be up 2-0 right now. isles definitely can win this series, but thru 2 games I'd say its a pretty even series so far

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
based on the first 2 games? if it wasn't for some of the worst goaltending i've ever seen by jarry in game 1, the pens could be up 2-0 right now. isles definitely can win this series, but thru 2 games I'd say its a pretty even series so far

I thought the Isles dominated Game 1, but I haven't seen the analytics.

The prime reasons Pitt won Game 2 were Jarry playing great and the single weakest goal you will see in the entire playoffs this year and in most years. When I first saw it, I assumed something redirected the puck, but after the replay, wow.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I'm not one to take opinions as gospel as an analytics guy, but every Flyers fan alive says this guy was a toilet fire.

Reactions: Ola

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->