Who Do You (Realistically) Want to be the Next Head Coach of the New York Rangers?

Who Do You (Realistically) Want to be the Next Head Coach of the New York Rangers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I am kind of intrigued by going toward a European Hc. Would be interesting to say the least. Or maybe as an assistant coach.

Otherwise its either Gallant or Knobby for me.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I am kind of intrigued by going toward a European Hc. Would be interesting to say the least. Or maybe as an assistant coach.

Otherwise its either Gallant or Knobby for me.

Sather wouldn't be interested in that idea at all, therefore neither would Dolan. The next coach is going to be a bonefide experienced NHL coach.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
boudreau is easily the guy i want most

gallant i would be cool with. knob would be ok i guess. babcock can coach but he's a f***ing dickhead. might not be the worst thing at this point.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
they can’t really let him walk, can they?

Odd, does he draw a line in the sand? How can the Rangers wait and hope for possibly two months in hopes he walks? What if he stays after months?

strange

I mean the Rangers can wait to see if Carolina(or Pitt) gets ousted quickly. But, if the Canes go deep, I just think the Rangers won't be able to wait it out.

You can't keep someone like Gallant waiting in the wings(when he clearly has other options). Trying to string him along would be pretty unprofessional.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I went with Gallant, though also with the mindset that he might end up being the coach before "the" coach for this team.
I've mused about whether they might go for a Gallant/Torts type, that is someone with a presumably short shelf life, to get this team to take the next step (a consistent playoff team) with the idea that this is not a long-term answer.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Gallant for a year or two where the kids explode onto the scene but there is another behind the scenes firing. Rod the Bod, coming off a SC win, decides to give his staff a pay raise and they come to NY.
SCJ06_07b.jpg

Then this picture hangs from the rafters

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Why is Tochet an option again? What has he done as a coach other than be employed as one?

Clayton Keller was the next big up and coming American star before he got there and now he's just an NHLer.

OEL went from being the most overrated DMan in the league to just a high priced veteran DMan.

That franchise regressed under him. Is it because he played for the Penguins so everyone loves him?

Thankfully Tocchet looks like the favorite for Seattle. Played on a line with Ron Francis back in the 90s

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Claude Julien for me - he is from Canada so obviously he has experience. ;)

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Rooting hard for Smashville to knock Carolina our early so Donal can throw a bunch of money at Rod the Bod. Otherwise, i'm cool with Gallant

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Does anyone have an opinion and would like to share it on Buffalo Sabres assistant coach Steve Smith?
Would he be a good candidate to be an assistant coach here?

Reactions: Ola

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Of the choices above I suppose I would go with Boudreau. Seems like the best fit for how the team is currently structured. I could live with Gallant or Julien tho from what insiders are saying Gallant may not fit with Dolan.

What I would really like is for Drury/Sather(yuck) to find the next Jon Cooper.

Hard no for Babcock, and Torts would be an insane choice. This is not a team of plumbers which he prefers and putting him with so many very young skill players feels like a recipe for disaster.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I do not understand the love for Boudreau. The man had constant stacked Capitals and got outcoached constantly.

I don't want Baby Huey here. Hard no, I'd take Babcock over him(I don't want him either).

I feel the same way.

I know it's television and HBO wants to make heroes and villains when they tell the story, and I also know that it was almost a decade ago and people can grow, but I can never get over how poor Boudreau came across in the HBO 24/7 Pens vs Caps. Every pregame and intermission they would show Bylsma talking to the Pens about game plan, adjustments, things to watch out for and to correct, and then they would cut to Boudreau and he was basically a cursing cheerleader. I don't remember a single actual coaching moment from him. It was all, 'let's f!@#$%^ go boys. Just keep f*&^%$$ going. Dig deeper. etc etc.'

Perhaps as a coach immediately following a hardcore x's and o's guy with a senior team that knows the right way to play, but otherwise I pass.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
I would have hired Laviolette when he was available. I find myself intrigued by Roy.

I forgot Gallant had a winning record in Florida. He just seems like an old school coach that brings nothing new or innovative to the team. Vegas got worse as he was there.

The Kuklas Korner guy was on NHL Sirius today (or was it yesterday) and he was saying that Babcock was the kind of guy Dolan liked and the kind of guy the Rangers needed???? Babcock was good with ANA and DET and then his rep took a hit in Toronto. I don't know that I ever see him getting an NHL gig again.

How many years does John Cooper have left in TB?

Reactions: Ola

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->