Who Do You (Realistically) Want to be the Next Head Coach of the New York Rangers?

Who Do You (Realistically) Want to be the Next Head Coach of the New York Rangers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Didn't know much about him so I searched.

Hallam leads Växjö to a third title

"So where is Hallam’s greatness? There are several qualities that make him an excellent coach. He is a brilliant communicator, and he has shown that he can work equally efficiently with veterans as well as with young players. Just look at what Hallam did with Elias Pettersson before the player left for Vancouver.
There are observers who say that his teams play an overly academic or calculating style of hockey and, although there may be some truth to it, no one with the Lakers seems to care. The three championship titles in six years are solid proof of that. They are a team that relies on puck possession, opportunistic scoring and a suffocating defence."
Pettersson's coach? Punished Dolan droppin the offer sheet if this happens

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Why is Tochet an option again? What has he done as a coach other than be employed as one?

Clayton Keller was the next big up and coming American star before he got there and now he's just an NHLer.

OEL went from being the most overrated DMan in the league to just a high priced veteran DMan.

That franchise regressed under him. Is it because he played for the Penguins so everyone loves him?

Zoot Love

Jul 20, 2020
Feels like unfinished business with Torts. I really wanted to win with him and I think he wanted to win in New York just as bad. He's not the nicest guy and not the perfect coach but I liked the energy he brought to the team. Just look at that locker room speech he gave to the Jackets in the playoffs. I'd run through a wall after that speech.

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
Why is Tochet an option again? What has he done as a coach other than be employed as one?

Clayton Keller was the next big up and coming American star before he got there and now he's just an NHLer.

OEL went from being the most overrated DMan in the league to just a high priced veteran DMan.

That franchise regressed under him. Is it because he played for the Penguins so everyone loves him?
Probably has a good agent, selling him hard.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I am intriqued by Roy, caustiouly optomistic about Messier. Maybe they catch lightning in a bottle with him for 1 or 2 seasons. I am on the fence with Torts who could last anywhere from 1 to 3 years. I would sit down with Tocchet and see what he has to say. I don't know enough about Gallant to make a decision about him. I am a hard NO on everyone else on that list. Whatever happens, whoever Drury brings in I wanna see Knobluch as an assistant because I believe he is the heir apparent.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not gonna lie, kinda jonesing for Torts 2.0 . My mind says no but my cold dead heart says hell yes.

Realistically besides the prospect of Rod the Bod Im not too thrilled with the other names out there. Seems like a greater chance of choosing a guy who will set them back than help them take the next step.
Wouldn’t it be ‘Torts 3.0’ technically?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Feels like unfinished business with Torts. I really wanted to win with him and I think he wanted to win in New York just as bad. He's not the nicest guy and not the perfect coach but I liked the energy he brought to the team. Just look at that locker room speech he gave to the Jackets in the playoffs. I'd run through a wall after that speech.
It would be a disaster by year 2.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Give him 10M a season to pry him away.

they can’t really let him walk, can they?

Odd, does he draw a line in the sand? How can the Rangers wait and hope for possibly two months in hopes he walks? What if he stays after months?

strange

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

i think the issue is the energy and intensity you/we saw in the locker room during the playoffs is the same guy screaming in Game 2 of the Regular Season. I think it wears people out.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
None of the major candidates particularly excite me. They are all retreads to a degree, many have failed with multiple occasions, all have their warts that will quickly wear on most posters.

The one I absolutely do not want is Torts. I can't think of a worse coach for a team that is still, no matter what Dolan thinks, rebuilding. The image of an irate Torts berating one of our young players as they come to the bench is a nightmare I rather not see. Torts is good for a particular kind of team. We are not at that level yet where he can be an asset. He would be an unmitigated disaster.

Not thrilled with Mess or Roy. Elite players rarely make good coaches. It is as if they can never understand why things that came so easy to them do not come easily to less skilled players. It leads to frustration and a lack of patience.

I guess I would be OK with Gallant, Tocchet, or Hartley. They've have some success and a veteran hand is what most management teams go for after hiring an inexperienced coach. Babcock has little appeal.

But, as I said, Meh to all of them.

Reactions: egelband

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
I have the same kind of nostalgia, and respected his tenure... but still feel really uncertain about him as a match for this team, and question whether he's still as effective now (whether because he changed or the league/world evolved).

Reactions: egelband

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Honestly I have no clue.

I don’t think bringing back Torts would be right for this club, but I also like Torts and he’s won.

Gallant is a sexy name and proved he knows how to coach an exciting, winning brand of hockey. I would be more than ok with him, I think the style of hockey he coaches is right up this teams alley

I loved Babcock when he was with the Wings and would’ve taken him as the next Ranger coach in a second then, but after his fallout with Toronto it gives me great pause.

Never was a big Boudreau fan and I don’t think he’s any better than Quinn really.

Patrick Roy would just elevate any dysfunction this franchise already has and I’m not sure if he’s the answer in this market.

Tocchet is a guy I’d consider if Drury is high on him but I’ve admittedly not watched a ton of Coyote games and can’t really speak to his style.

Whimpy from Popeye (aka Julien) is a very good coach and would be near the top of my list but I’m not sure his defensive style of play would fit our team to a T. I think they need a hybrid system, but if Drury feels he’s the fit so be it.

Big pass on Hartley. Would rather have Quinn.

Messier has zero experience so I don’t know how hiring him would satisfy the need to “take this team to the next level” which is the reason for decapitating the head of the front office and entire coaching staff. But I wouldn’t be surprised.

And Knoblock should stay in Hartford and continue to develop the kids there and be the failsafe if whoever they bring in goes sour

I wonder if Drury is giving Ted Nolan a call, just for shits
Ted Nolan coaching philosophy. "Go get em boys. Have fun. Do hockey".
"By the way. How's that cute wife of yours"?

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I thought it might be Tortorella, but Sean Avery says Drury hates Torts with a passion. He treated him like garbage when Drury was a Ranger. He thinks Drury goes with Hartley or Roy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->