Who do you protect in the 2020 Seattle Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Assuming the roster doesn't change (I know, I know) from now until the new Seattle team arrives in 2020 who would you protect?

Can either pick 8 skaters from below or 7 forwards and 3 defensemen. Who do you keep?

Forwards eligible:
Zibanejad
Kreider
Zucc
Namestnikov
Spooner
Hayes
Vesey
Buchnevich
Fast
Lettieri

Defense eligible:
Skjei
Smith
DeAngelo
O’Gara
Pionk
Gilmour

Goalies (can’t protect if Hank is still playing):
Hank (required per NMC)
Georgiev
Whoever the backup is

Edit: By the way we better pray that Seattle team is up and running by 2020 or Chytil, Lias, Howden, Hajek, Lindgren, and anyone else who makes the team this year becomes eligible...

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Protect:
Zibanejad
Kreider
Hayes
Buchnevich
Fast
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx

Skjei
Shattenkirk
Pionk

Lundqvist

I assume we trade Zuccarello by then and I doubt Namestnikov and Spooner are here in 2020.

Which brings me to my next point: I get the feeling that the incoming expansion draft is numbing the trade market. GMs are more careful acquiring players that need to be protected.

I thought Shattenkirk didn't have to be protected.

Well, he doesn't have to be because with his NMC he already takes up a protection spot

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I can't believe this. No one in the US watches and Bettman is going NFL size! Crazy. Vegas and this should be the 17th-18th teams.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Aloha. Half of those names likely won't be on the team then so it's an exercise in futility. lol

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
this is like saying "post your 2020-2021 lineup" and everyone pencils in every prospect when something like that has NEVER HAPPENED

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Not worth worrying about now. So much can happen even in the next 12 months. Henrik could get fed up and turn heel, he could regress, Pionk and TDA can suddenly score 20 goals each (lol). You get my point.

Reactions: haveandare

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Protect:
Zibanejad
Kreider
Hayes
Buchnevich
Fast
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx

Skjei
Shattenkirk
Pionk

Lundqvist

I assume we trade Zuccarello by then and I doubt Namestnikov and Spooner are here in 2020.

Which brings me to my next point: I get the feeling that the incoming expansion draft is numbing the trade market. GMs are more careful acquiring players that need to be protected.

Well, he doesn't have to be because with his NMC he already takes up a protection spot
Where this really may show up is in free agent contracts. Give a player more than two years and you risk having to protect them. Give them a NMC and you have to protect them. Conversely if you are a player are you going to sign a three year contract without any protection? That could mean a ticket to Seattle. Wonder what kind of protections Kovalchuk got? I can see the Rangers offering two year contracts with good dough to several FAs so they don’t get tied up in expansion net.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
does anyone have proof of what the league is considering a professional season for the 1st and 2nd year player exemption? its left vague which i take as bettman will make up the rules based on whether or not he is buddies with the owner in question lol.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Their ELCs slide but does that make them exempt from the expansion draft?
I honestly have no idea. Thirty One and I were looking into this and we found cases where it does and also doesn't but I don't remember specifics.

William Nylander was one case I remember. He slid in 14-15, played pro 15-16 and 16-17 and didn't need protection. I think we thought this was because he played part of the season overseas, which is good news for Andersson. But, we also found a player who slid, played two years, and did need protection. I can't recall who at the moment.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I honestly have no idea. Thirty One and I were looking into this and we found cases where it does and also doesn't but I don't remember specifics.

William Nylander was one case I remember. He slid in 14-15, played pro 15-16 and 16-17 and didn't need protection. I think we thought this was because he played part of the season overseas, which is good news for Andersson. But, we also found a player who slid, played two years, and did need protection. I can't recall who at the moment.

Damn, that's what I wanted to know. I will start researching.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Why is this a thread when half the roster may not be here by the time lists are due...

Who do we protect in 2032 when London and China get teams??

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Rather than who do they protect, I think the point should be to not add more players they would be required to protect so they have the most flexibility they can at that time. Possibly subtract one they'd need to protect as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->