Who do you protect at the Expansion Draft - Poll

Who do you protect at the Expansion Draft?

• Dermott

• Holl

Results are only viewable after voting.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Easy decision for me to protect Holl. He's in his prime and has proven himself to be a top-4 defenseman on the right side. At 2M for 2 years I think he fits like a glove on a contending team. The Leafs have Sandin and Liljegren coming up next year, they're NHL ready and should be prioritized above Dermott going forward. I think Dermott is a good athlete, he's good at everything, but not amazing at anything. I think he does better on a team with less depth and an opening for him to play top-4 minutes right away. I see him being pushed to the 7th defenseman position in Toronto next season, moving backward in the lineup, not forward like a player at his age and upside should. I don't think it makes sense to go into next season with Dermott on the roster pencilled in as the 7th D. He should be traded for value, if not selected in expansion before next season and a vet like Bogosian should be brought in to ease Sandin and Liljegren's transition to becoming full time NHL players. They need to recoup some picks for the next couple drafts, Dermott could be a part of that solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keon1963

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The maximum number of defensemen the Kraken can draft is 13. I believe the Kraken may find thirteen defensemen better than Dermott available on other rosters. I do value Dermott high and hope the Kraken will take Kerfoot. Moving Kerfoot would help balance Toronto's cap situation such that it might be appropriate to grease the pick.

Kerfoot would be the more convenient player to lose and I could see Seattle looking at him like one of those smaller skillsy centers like a William Karlsson, Greg Johnson, Brian Bradley, the kind of player expansion teams take a look at who might have some offensive pop. You kind of hope Dermott can have a breakout and would be good to hang onto him for one or two more years to see what he's all about.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
It may come down to who is available on other teams influencing the pick off the Toronto roster. If there is a shortage of quality centers Kerfoot may be the pick. Engvall could be a wild card.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Since the Leafs HAVE to expose a forward with so much games played, etc... It's Kerfoot. He's gone.
This is going to be an excellent opportunity for him. No way they're taking Dermott over him...
Travis is a dime a dozen player they could easily find elsewhere.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Since the Leafs HAVE to expose a forward with so much games played, etc... It's Kerfoot. He's gone.
This is going to be an excellent opportunity for him. No way they're taking Dermott over him...

We already have those players in Sandin & Lilj. & Robertson.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yep. In a way, present Hutton is Dermott in a few years if Dermott don’t improve his game.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Here’s who you don’t protect

upload_2021-5-8_23-18-3.png

Reactions: vpasla1 and moon111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yep. In a way, present Hutton is Dermott in a few years if Dermott don’t improve his game.

Hutton was never really a good defender outside of last year in LA. Dermott's worst year in the NHL at this point in his career (as a guy who is 3.5 years younger than Hutton) is much better than anything Hutton has done to this point outside of his one (seemingly) anomaly year in LA.

Hutton is a guy you bring in as a #7 or as AHL depth for injury insurance just like you would a Marincin. Dermott is at least a solid bottom pairing guy right now and could easily still become a solid 2nd pairing guy, which he has shown he is capable of doing if given the opportunity.

I think it was a toss up for much of the season, but Dermott has cemented the selection at this point. Never mind his youth, he has been consistently better than Holl for a good chunk of games now and has the flexibility of playing both sides.

Reactions: Northernguy10

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Barabanov has 7 points in 8 games since going to SJS :huh:

...And wouldn't have needed to be protected in expansion :help:

It is really irrelevant at this point. He was not playing here and he sucked here. In fact, Suomela has been a nice addition for the Marlies (which is desperately needed more than another undersized taxi squad guy).

Barabanov was also a pending UFA, so we wouldn't protect him even if he needed to be protected.

Reactions: Menzinger and banks

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
This shouldn't even be a decision, It's Holl all day. I think Seattle takes Kerfoot over Dermott as well.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Personally I'd rather lose Holl than Dermott or Kerfoot...I think Dubas will be doing some deals and manoeuvering before the expansion draft..I'm curious how he's going to handle all of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad