Who do you protect at the Expansion Draft - Poll

Who do you protect at the Expansion Draft?

• Dermott

• Holl

Results are only viewable after voting.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
We've become pretty excellent with player development the past 5ish years, but the way we've handled Dermott is utterly perplexing to me - as is his treatment within the fan base. Ever since he entered the league he's shown a level of poise and talent that should warrant top 4 consideration, and the limited times he's gotten a fair shake he's excelled; and yet, people talk about him as if he's a fringe NHL defenseman. I love Holl, and we should certainly try to keep him around, but losing Dermott would be a bigger loss than people make it out to be

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Keefe plays Holl 22 minutes a night. He's a solid #4 RHD locked in at 2m with term.

Travis Dermott plays 13 minutes a night. He's got "upside" but was our #6 before Sandin emerged. Liljegren might pass him soon enough as well.

This really is a slam dunk no-brainer. We protect Holl. We're not in the position to be waiting around for Dermott to develop into what Holl is today. This might be a question if Holl was making 4m or something, but at 2m he's legitimately an incredibly valuable asset for the team. Dermott needs a new deal and isn't going to keep signing his qualifying offer every year anyways.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Holl is right handed, handling the 20+ minutes per night, makes a modest salary for a top 4 defender. Perhaps the unsigned Dermott could be moved before the expansion draft for a lesser qualifying defender plus a draft pick or two? Not sure there's very many of these guys around the league (Kurtis MacDermid (LA)).

Reactions: geo25

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With the progress we are seeing from Sandin and Liljegrin, a likely decision will need to be made between Holl and Dermott.

Who do you protect at the Expansion Draft?
Good poll. Dermott pretty easily for me although I’m not surprised more prefer Holl.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
The maximum number of defensemen the Kraken can draft is 13. I believe the Kraken may find thirteen defensemen better than Dermott available on other rosters. I do value Dermott high and hope the Kraken will take Kerfoot. Moving Kerfoot would help balance Toronto's cap situation such that it might be appropriate to grease the pick.

Reactions: Menzinger

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You keep the top 4 RHD with 2m cap hit over a guy who could one day turn into a top 4 RHD with an unknown future cap hit. This team is win now. If we lose one young defenseman we have two more ready to step up. And that's if Seattle decides to take Dermott. I can tell you that they would take Holl

Reactions: banks

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Good poll. Dermott pretty easily for me although I’m not surprised more prefer Holl.

I was back and forth on this. I went with Dermott because he still so young and plays both sides.

At the same time, Holl has solidified the RD position with his improvement.

Reactions: ACC1224

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Dermott is a great young player and has potential and I have no ill will towards him. But I notice Holl on the ice WAY more, most games go by and I barely hear Dermott's name. Holl is the better value to the team.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Dermott is a great young player and has potential and I have no ill will towards him. But I notice Holl on the ice WAY more, most games go by and I barely hear Dermott's name. Holl is the better value to the team.
The reasons you mentioned above are exactly why I choose Dermott.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Dermott's next contract will likely cost more than Holl's btw.
And why is that?

He’s been our #6 dman, he cant be asking for too much. But if you’re right, doesn’t that say something about his value going forward?

I”d protect Dermott. I don’t agree that Holl is better now, but I’m not saying Dermott is either. I see them fairly equal, with Holl having a better partner, and Dermott being younger.

Holl was in the ahl when he was Dermott’s age. What will the next few years of development give us with Dermott?

We know what Holl’s ceiling is, he’s in his prime right now. And imo its not much, if any, higher then Dermott right now. Let’s see what Dermott’s ceiling can be.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If I were still playing fantasy hockey leagues, I'd look at trying to make a deal for Kerfoot.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
After last night's game, to me it appears Dermott is playing his way off of this team. No way the Habs score both their goals if Dermott takes his man rather than trying to play the puck.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
After last night's game, to me it appears Dermott is playing his way off of this team. No way the Habs score both their goals if Dermott takes his man rather than trying to play the puck.

How can you blame Dermott for the Caufield goal when Sandin gave away the puck to cause the 2 on 1? Dermott played the 2 on 1 as he should, unfortunately he was not able to cut off the pass. Guess he could have played it better but I am not giving up on either Sandin or Dermott because they were on the ice for both goals against last night.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
neither goal had anything to do with Dermott

first goals all on Sandin and on the 2nd goal it was Engvall who didn't stick with his man

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Even though I’m expecting Dubas to protect Holl, I think Dermott is the better pick to protect. He can play both sides, is younger, will be cost-controlled for longer, and has played better with more D partners than Holl has found chemistry with on our team.

As well, especially if we’re planning to lose Rielly to UFA next year, our RD depth is looking just as good as our LD depth. This makes sense for an organizational plan IMO:

This year:
Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott
Lilly

Next year: (after exposing Holl)
Rielly-Dermott
Sandin-Brodie
Muzzin-Liljegren
Depth

In two years: (Rielly’s cap $ is given to Liljegren & Sandin for their new contracts)
Sandin-Brodie
Muzzin-Liljegren
Dermott-Depth

In three years:
Sandin-Brodie
Dermott-Liljegren
Muzzin-Niemela/Prospect

After this season, you look to exit on Muzzin & Brodie to give their cap $ to Matthews & Nylander for their new contracts.

Rielly needs to stay

Reactions: The Apologist

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
We've become pretty excellent with player development the past 5ish years, but the way we've handled Dermott is utterly perplexing to me - as is his treatment within the fan base. Ever since he entered the league he's shown a level of poise and talent that should warrant top 4 consideration, and the limited times he's gotten a fair shake he's excelled; and yet, people talk about him as if he's a fringe NHL defenseman. I love Holl, and we should certainly try to keep him around, but losing Dermott would be a bigger loss than people make it out to be
We've been spoiled with the Matthews/ Marner/ Nylander/ Rielly /Sandin? Development. When a player is developed into simply a good NHLer they're not as appreciated.

If we protect Holl over Dermott we will regret it.

Reactions: kk87

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
How can you blame Dermott for the Caufield goal when Sandin gave away the puck to cause the 2 on 1? Dermott played the 2 on 1 as he should, unfortunately he was not able to cut off the pass. Guess he could have played it better but I am not giving up on either Sandin or Dermott because they were on the ice for both goals against last night.
The two on one is always the defenseman fault and never the fault of the guy that gave it away or the one pinching, haven't you learned this yet?

Reactions: banks and ToneDog

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
From the way Holl has been able to play D and keep up with McDavid alone I would protect him

Reactions: banks

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think expansion might factor into Dermotts contract negotiations, with agreeing to a Holl contract being Dermotts key to be protected and staying a leaf.

If Dermott really doesn’t want to get claimed by Seatle, he should just refuse to sign a contact before the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad