Who do you Pick at 10th Overall

Who do you Pick at 10th Overall?

• Total voters

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Assuming the top 9 is Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, and Tkachuk, which seems to be the overall consensus right now.

I'm not a fan of Ty Smith and we're packed at LHD with Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera, and Russell. I really question his upside at the NHL level.

That said, my two preferences are Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Barrett Hayton. Kotkaniemi has the skill worthy of being a top 5 pick, and just keeps getting better. The Finnish connection with Puljujarvi could also help both of their developments. Hayton just screams, Bergeron to me. He works his ass off every shift and is great defensively. Watching the Bruins and how Bergeron's defensive prowess helps Pastrnak play his game makes me think of how McDavid could benefit playing with him. Both of them were probably the best players on their teams at the U18s.

Both can also play on the wing. A top 6 of this looks great in a couple of years:

RNH - McDavid - Kotkaniemi/Hayton
Puljujarvi - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

At the moment I'm leaning Kotkaniemi. Who do you pick?

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Assuming the top 9 is Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, and Tkachuk, which seems to be the overall consensus right now.

I'm not a fan of Ty Smith and we're packed at LHD with Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera, and Russell. I really question his upside at the NHL level.

That said, my two preferences are Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Barrett Hayton. Kotkaniemi has the skill worthy of being a top 5 pick, and just keeps getting better. The Finnish connection with Puljujarvi could also help both of their developments. Hayton just screams, Bergeron to me. He works his ass off every shift and is great defensively. Watching the Bruins and how Bergeron's defensive prowess helps Pastrnak play his game makes me think of how McDavid could benefit playing with him. Both of them were probably the best players on their teams at the U18s.

Both can also play on the wing. A top 6 of this looks great in a couple of years:

RNH - McDavid - Kotkaniemi/Hayton
Puljujarvi - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

At the moment I'm leaning Kotkaniemi. Who do you pick?

Kotkaniemi for me as well, no need to draft yet another LHD. Especially one who’s 5’10 (Ty Smith). If one of Boqvist, Dobson, or Bouchard fall, then that would be the time to take a Defencemen. But Kotkaniemi looked great this tournament.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
"Cocky Niemi". The Oilers could use a Rantanen clone.

Not interested in another LH Dman

Use the 2nd round pick on Merkley

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I honestly don't see Ty Smith becoming a top-4 D. I would prefer taking RHDs, but if seems unlikely one will fall

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
For me it's a toss up between Farabee, Kotkaniemi, Kupari, and Denisenko at the #10 spot. Assuming Dobson, Hughes, Bouchard, all gone.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Boqvist seems like he’d be perfect and the other d-men would be welcome as well. At 10 that could be tough though.

I haven’t seen Kotkaniemi but it certainly sounds like he could be a decent backup plan.

Last edited:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Big fin is the flavor of the week here so I expect him to win

I would be fine with his pick, I do hope Boqvist/Wahlstrom fall to us though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Take the D. Our depth at LD is temporary if we intend on addressing the right side. With Smith we have the ability to develop him slowly with Klefbom, Sekera and Russell signed over the next few seasons. The Yamamoto connection helps, so we likely know this player very well already.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Take the D. Our depth at LD is temporary if we intend on addressing the right side. With Smith we have the ability to develop him slowly with Klefbom, Sekera and Russell signed over the next few seasons. The Yamamoto connection helps, so we likely know this player very well already.

Did you watch the U18’s at all?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Between Smith and Farabee for me. Pretty disappointed to be out of the top 9 though, I really like 8 of those likely 9. (No Tkachuk fan)

Edit - Smith has had a bad u18s but that's just one tournament. Doesn't erase a very very strong season otherwise. Similar to the world Jr's, which plenty of players under and over perform.

Reactions: dustrock

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
I think the Rangers or Hawks will take Kotkaniemi (would be happy with him) right before we pick. One of the consensus top 9 will drop to us, so we should take whoever falls..........but Chia trades the pick for immediate help anyway, or takes Ty Smith (I like him more than most here even with the meh U18 performance)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Did you watch the U18’s at all?
I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on a tournament where Canada sent a less than competitive product. Ty Smith's production in Spokane this season should speak volumes in terms of his ability to produce offense, which is what the Oilers will ultimately value.

Reactions: Aerrol

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
If Chia has learned anything he will not trade away this pick. A lot of high end players available at the #10 spot (Smith, Kotkaniemi, Farabee, Kupari, Denisenko, etc)
listening to his interwiew (painfully through his incoherent babbling and stuttering), it sounded like, if he didn't land in the top 3, he would look at trading the pick.
that's what I got from his interviews anyway.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
listening to his interwiew (painfully through his incoherent babbling and stuttering), it sounded like, if he didn't land in the top 3, he would look at trading the pick.
that's what I got from his interviews anyway.

Generally I would agree with him in trading away the pick, if our aim is to compete right away, but a) we are nowhere near a playoff contender b) Chiarelli is horrible at trading away high value assets

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Sekera and Russell will be long gone by time Smith is ready for the NHL. At least 1 more year in juniors plus minimum 2 years in the AHL.

I voted for him strictly because I value D over F. Maybe he's not going to be a player, I don't know, but to not draft him because we are "stacked" at LHD isn't right either.

Reactions: McDrai

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I know there's a consensus top 9, but there's no way that one player outside that group does not get selected before us. Happens every year. I think one of those players listed is available and I hope we don't pass on them.

That said, from this list I'm on the Ty Smith bandwagon.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Whoever we pick is likely a couple years away at least from contributing to our NHL roster. I woudn't be too concerned with who is on our roster now in terms of picking this player. If the guy we want is a LHD so be it.

Reactions: MessierII

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Kotkaniemi or Smith. I still have a feeling one of the D in the top 10 can still fall to us with other teams perhaps going off BPA and choosing a C like Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: MessierII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad