Trade Deadline Day thread (new title)

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
They need to ride this out with the current group. The team invested too many assets last year towards a playoff run. If they stay hot and make the playoffs I would prefer to let that group enjoy it anyway.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Just kind of tossing it around a bit. IF Korpi & Elvis continue to play like #1 goalies and VV is considered a viable NHL goalie then I could see the value in trading one of them (Korpi/Elvis) to upgrade the top 6 F's, preferably with a solid 2C and maybe a pick/prospect or two.

Considering that we can only protect one in the expansion draft I think this is something Jarmo has to think about.

According to cap friendly, Elvis is exempt.

It’s still probably in our best interest to trade one though this offseason, if we think VV’s ready to be a backup (and whichever one we don’t trade we’re fully confident in to be a full-time starter).

ETA: Interestingly, in order to fulfill the expansion draft requirements, Kivlenieks (or someone else) will need to be signed through 2021-22.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
According to cap friendly, Elvis is exempt.

It’s still probably in our best interest to trade one though this offseason, if we think VV’s ready to be a backup (and whichever one we don’t trade we’re fully confident in to be a full-time starter).

Yeah, I double checked that a little while ago and didn't repeat it earlier. Good to see that is the case. Although isn't there something about making a goalie available who has played a minimum number of games over last couple of seasons?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I double checked that a little while ago and didn't repeat it earlier. Good to see that is the case. Although isn't there something about making a goalie available who has played a minimum number of games over last couple of seasons?

Yeah, see my edit in my post above. I don’t think there’s a GP requirement for goalies. For skaters, it’s either 70 GP over the previous two years or 40 GP the previous season.

Last edited:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Bruins fan coming in peace.

I'm a big Josh Anderson fan. I know he's been injured and his stats aren't exactly sparkling this season but I'm curious what the expected return would be from the Bruins in a deal for him?

Would Danton Heinen + 2nd/3rd or B Level prospect get it done?

This is sentimental which makes it irrational. And I'll start this by saying I don't want to see the CBJ trade Josh Anderson.
I have secretly hoped that Sean Kuraly, at some point in his playing career, gets to pull on a CBJ sweater. I have no idea what the +/- would have to be if Josh Anderson is the other side of the equation.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He can play center and was drafted as one. 51 percent in the circle too.
Stop it. Just stop it. He's not a NHL center. If he was he'd have played that position in Toronto for more than a tiny handful of games; there've been plenty of opportunities for him to do so. At the NHL level, he's a winger. He's always been a winger, he'll always be a winger. If he was a center, Toronto wouldn't have needed Kerfoot coming back. He's as much a "center" as Alex Galchenyuk - fans will convince themselves he deserves to be there because something something points, but they're passenger points and he can't handle the rest of the job.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Nylander would be a great add to our left side and would give us pretty good top-6 wingers with Nyquist, Atkinson, and Bjorkstrand.

But the more pressing need is an impact center who can form a 1-2 punch with Dubois. I don't see one of those coming along for the foreseeable future unless we luck out.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
So with Milano scratched tonight....when Bjork comes back he has to jump 2 players to get back in the line up
if Anderson ever returns that jumps to 3 he has to jump

If Torts doesn't change his mind...(which may happen 1/2 way through the first period tonight)

Milano is guaranteed to be in a new Jersey at some point this season

If he does go, I try and package 1 of Murray, Nuti or Savard...........depending on the return to upgrade at center.
---throw in Riley Nash if the other team wants him

with Torts line up management, Milano may be in on the top line Saturday night....so this is subject to change
daily....if not more often

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Stop it. Just stop it. He's not a NHL center. If he was he'd have played that position in Toronto for more than a tiny handful of games; there've been plenty of opportunities for him to do so. At the NHL level, he's a winger. He's always been a winger, he'll always be a winger. If he was a center, Toronto wouldn't have needed Kerfoot coming back. He's as much a "center" as Alex Galchenyuk - fans will convince themselves he deserves to be there because something something points, but they're passenger points and he can't handle the rest of the job.
Wrong. I respect your opinion though.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Do you have any actual evidence, or does your argument consist exclusively of "nuh-uh"?
It doesn’t matter because YOU are the one who determines what “evidence” there is. Also he played EXCLUSIVELY at C before NHL.
How Has William Nylander Fared at Centre?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/nylander-comfortable-with-shift-back-to-centre-1.1261405?tsn-amp

T
exier has been playing Wing, doesn’t mean he can’t be a C either. Show me evidence that he definitively cannot play C.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It doesn’t matter because YOU are the one who determines what “evidence” there is.
How Has William Nylander Fared at Centre?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/nylander-comfortable-with-shift-back-to-centre-1.1261405?tsn-amp

T
exier has been playing Wing, doesn’t mean he can’t be a C either.
That article doesn't show anything conclusive. And the Texier comparison is ludicrously disingenuous - Texier may be unlikely, but he doesn't have extended track record of failure to hold the position that Nylander does. Out of over 280 games in the NHL - three and a half seasons - Nylander's played maybe a dozen at C, and he keeps getting pushed back to wing every single time after a very short period, and when he finally had the chance to take the job full-time Toronto instead insisted on acquiring another center (Kerfoot) and playing him there instead.

We have seen this phenomenon before. It is the typical path of someone who was ostensibly a center in junior, but at the NHL level cannot handle all the responsibilities of the position and so instead plays wing. It is extremely commonplace. It happens all the time. Trying to insist that it's different this time because of a belief that he might be more attainable is the sort of gambit that got Jonathan Drouin failing at C in Montreal.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
That article doesn't show anything conclusive. And the Texier comparison is ludicrously disingenuous - Texier may be unlikely, but he doesn't have extended track record of failure to hold the position that Nylander does. Out of over 280 games in the NHL - three and a half seasons - Nylander's played maybe a dozen at C, and he keeps getting pushed back to wing every single time after a very short period, and when he finally had the chance to take the job full-time Toronto instead insisted on acquiring another center (Kerfoot) and playing him there instead.

We have seen this phenomenon before. It is the typical path of someone who was ostensibly a center in junior, but at the NHL level cannot handle all the responsibilities of the position and so instead plays wing. It is extremely commonplace. It happens all the time. Trying to insist that it's different this time because of a belief that he might be more attainable is the sort of gambit that got Jonathan Drouin failing at C in Montreal.
He is one of their best players. Stuck behind Tavares and Matthews, and before behind Matthews Bozak and Kadri. Do you expect them to play their 4th best offensive player on the third or fourth line.. especially now at 7 mill aav? Draisaitl can play C but plays with McDavid, because it is better for their team. Same thing with Nylander. Jamie Benn can play center but does not for the same reason.

Also (this has no value) according to fantasy hockey he is listed as a C or RW.

Oh and here’s Babcock saying he sees Nylander as a C (2:03)

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He is one of their best players. Stuck behind Tavares and Matthews, and before behind Matthews Bozak and Kadri. Do you expect them to play their 4th best offensive player on the third or fourth line.. especially now at 7 mill aav? Draisaitl can play C but plays with McDavid, because it is better for their team. Same thing with Nylander. Jamie Benn can play center but does not for the same reason.

Also (this has no value) according to fantasy hockey he is listed as a C or RW.

Oh and here’s Babcock saying he sees Nylander as a C (2:03)

Benn isn't a very good C either, and Draisaitl is much more established at C than Nylander, so those aren't very good examples. But let me try a different approach at explaining why this worries me.

Nylander's established as a winger. That's all he's really been at the NHL level. If you want to experiment with him at C, that's fine. But one should plan for the likelihood that he does not work out at that position - assume we are acquiring a winger (and pay accordingly!), and if he turns out to play C it's a happy bonus.

Under those circumstances, Nylander is not exactly an ideal acquisition. He plays RW, which is a position we are very very deep at. We'd essentially be gambling a lot on the idea that he can change positions, and that's historically a good way to get ripped off. That's my core concern. If we could get him at a discount, I'd reconsider... but that's not going to happen.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
What’s your take on Adam Henrique from Ducks ?

He's signed at roughly $6 million per year through 2024; at age 29 and at his level of production, no thanks.

We should focus on recouping picks traded last year and / or player-for-player trades if we do anything at all vs. what we did last year.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am in the stay pat camp now. If we drop back, I might go back to the trade a veteran for picks/prospects view. But right now the team is getting points, we have two goalies that have had stretches where they played really well, our defense is awesome, and we are deeper at forward than I thought we were. We could use a scoring forward, but as Cam, Bjork, and Andy return, that is like adding scoring forwards without giving up anything. I wouldn’t want to give up picks or Foudy, Stenlund, or Marchenko for a rental.

I went to the game last night. It was a blast. When I got the tickets a couple months ago I didn’t think we would be battling with Carolina for a wild card spot.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m still where I was previously on trades. The deadline might be a good chance to pick up some picks using a DMan or some Monsters who don’t figure into our roster plans beyond this unique situation we currently face. Their NHL experience was a good showcase and their value may never be higher so the time is ripe.

I remain convinced that any significant move be in the off-season to solve our eternal top 6 center need. (I’m sure I’ll hear about Tex being the solution but that’s a huge maybe yes, more maybe no.)

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I watch 70+ Leafs games a year and have since things like Center Ice and NHL.tv have been around. Nylander might be listed as a center but has not been and never will be an effective NHL center. He is a great offensive player but when the defensive responsibilities of being a center get added his offensive game goes to crap. Babcock tried him at center multiple times for extended periods with some pretty good wingers and he just wasn't good. It has nothing to do with being behind centers like Tavares and Bozak and Matthews and Kadri.

With that said I would love to see him in a CBJ sweater but Jarmo isn't likely to give up what it would take to get Nylander and Dubas isn't going to accept Savard and some spare parts for him. While most people on here are saying Toronto is desperate for defense wouldn't the same hold true for the Jackets and offense? If there's a trade to be made it's going to be in the off-season. Teams in contention aren't lining up to trade away top 6 forwards for defense at the deadline.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Their NHL experience was a good showcase and their value may never be higher so the time is ripe.

I was thinking of mentioning guys whose value may never be higher. Guys I could see trading who fall into this category are Milano, Marchenko, Stenlund, Robinson, and Voronkov as well as goalies. (And as good as they have been, I don’t think goalies aren’t going to bring much back by themselves.)

We would have probably traded Milano for about anything after his arrest. His value is much higher now. Marchenko was our #9 prospect, Stenlund was #10, Robinson was #12, and Voronkov was #17 last summer.

Two others whose value may have never been higher — Peake and Gavrikov — are two guys I wouldn’t trade.

Just for reference, here is the prospect ranking:

Here it is, your CBJ HF Boards top 20 prospect list.

1. Alexandre Texier (LW/C)
2. Vladislav Gavrikov (D)
3. Emil Bemstrom (LW/C)
4. Liam Foudy (C)
5. Daniil Tarasov (G)
6. Andrew Peeke (D)
7. Veini Vehviläinen (G)
8. Trey Fix-Wolansky (RW)
9. Kirill Marchenko (RW/LW)
10. Kevin Stenlund (C)
11. Gabriel Carlsson (D)
12. Eric Robinson (LW)
13. Eric Hjorth (D)
14. Marcus Karlberg (LW/RW)
15. Kole Sherwood (RW)
16. Paul Bittner (LW)
17. Dmitri Voronkov (LW)
18. Tim Berni (D)
19. Calvin Thürkauf (C/LW)
20. Carson Meyer (RW)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As a group we historically miss both ways on prospects. not sure pivking trade candidates form that list is advisable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->