Trade Deadline Day thread (new title)

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
When it comes to CBJ I become greedy, a striking contrast with everything I try to represent in the world. Since every player is a valuable asset my mind doesnt want to let anyone go, cases like Dubi excluded.

Since the latest cautiously positive developments on tue uce, I think we can afford to share talents with the league and there is no real choice even. Trades have to be made as this team lacks offensively.

Who do you ladies and gents think we could miss? And who could the Jackets possibly get back?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Start with Murray if he returns as I think he can have value to a contender looking for him to play out the season (rather than a full season).

Agreed. Honestly Savard is probably trade bait as well.

I think you can trade up to two D and we'll be fine next year.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How many D have played for CBJ this season? How important has that depth been? Can you really trade 2 and still feel ok with the depth? Are you going to lose one to Seattle?

I know there’s not always going to be this many injuries but just thinking... who’s next up in the prospect pool?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
How many D have played for CBJ this season? How important has that depth been? Can you really trade 2 and still feel ok with the depth? Are you going to lose one to Seattle?

I know there’s not always going to be this many injuries but just thinking... who’s next up in the prospect pool?

Werenski
Jones
Gav
Savard
Peeke
Kukan
Nutivaara
Murray
Harrington
Carlsson

Have all suited up for us. We still have Clendening as well. I'm not worried about having another prospect ready with theyouth in that list. I also find having 4 dmen hurt at one point to be unusual to say the least.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I had thought it must be 10. Thanks for doing the (probably easy) legwork for me.

Let’s add Clendening and make it 11 deep that can play if needed in the NHL. So you trade 2, that’s still 9, and probably what you need in a normal season injury/wise? What about the expansion draft?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree that for a deadline deal, Murray is teh best choice because he might be able to stay on the ice for a couple of months rather than a full season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I had thought it must be 10. Thanks for doing the (probably easy) legwork for me.

Let’s add Clendening and make it 11 deep that can play if needed in the NHL. So you trade 2, that’s still 9, and probably what you need in a normal season injury/wise? What about the expansion draft?

I'd guess we lose one in the expansion draft - Nuti, Murray or Savard. Although both Murray & Savard are UFA's after next season so I can't see them being drafted unless they are extended or a side deal is cut with Seattle saying take us we'll sign.

At this point in the season because the shock troops have played the Jackets back into the playoff picture the only trade would be a D for a F. Depending where we are at the TDL I could see a D being sent for a pick(s) if we are out of it. If they are hanging on to the WC I hope like hell that Jarmo doesn't spend picks to bolster a roster that is probably one and done.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I agree that for a deadline deal, Murray is teh best choice because he might be able to stay on the ice for a couple of months rather than a full season.

Is anyone going to trade for Murray at the deadline? He'd have to be back and showing that he could contribute to the stretch run and I'm not sure where he's at in the recovery.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Athletic trade speculation with two CBJ mentions the morning:

10. Josh Anderson, Columbus Blue Jackets – Even having a down season, Anderson would likely net a nice return for the Blue Jackets because he’s the kind of big, powerful winger playoff teams love. And he wouldn’t be a rental. “Josh Anderson is fascinating to me,” said one GM.

14. Ryan Murray, Columbus Blue Jackets – The Blue Jackets have enviable depth on defense and there are a lot of teams searching for top-four help. Columbus would like to add an impact player at forward – just how impactful will depend on which Blue Jackets defenseman is part of the package.

So what type of impact forward could an Anderson/Murray package fetch?

I think a perfect target is Larkin but not sure Yzerman would bite on those assets for his rebuild.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I, for one am thrilled with the goaltender play in the past two months. I will admit that I have been a Korpi critic but he has proven me wrong. He has played like a number one. And so has Elvis! So in answer to the question, EVENTUALLY (not now) if they both keep playing like this, I would trade one of them for forward help. What a trade chip it is for the CBJ to have a quality goalie to trade! I look forward with interest to see how this all will play out and to see what Jarmo might get back in a trade.

Having said all that, I would trade some of our defensive depth (Harrington, Savard) for forward help, but to be honest, a part of me says why trade at all? This team is playing great, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: Madifer

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I see Nutivaara getting move for a draft pick after the season to recoup some assets. Probably Harrington too.

Nutivaara is on a stupidly-cheap contract. Harrington is barely serviceable at the NHL level (at least, on this team). Savard probably brings back a better return and is the player most unlikely to be offered a contract extension, given his age. I guess, given his cap hit, Nuti might bring back a better return. To me, he has always seemed to have higher upside, but not allowed to play to his full potential given Jones & Werenski ahead of him. I think he'd be really good on a PP unit.

I would be hesitant to move anyone given the injury bug -> who's left in Cleveland to call up besides Clendening? Depth has proven valuable this season. The team is trying to force Jarmo not to sell with a playoff push right now. The team does have the cap space to add a rental at the deadline.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'd have to get my head around moving Anderson, or any young impact forward, since we only have a few of them.

We could possibly move a mid pairing dman or 2, but we should be very selective on the return.

Nothing says we can't stand pat and draft/build/develop internally.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Nothing says we can't stand pat and draft/build/develop internally.

Only three UFAs this summer - Gerbe, Hannikainen, and Simpson.

A boatload of RFAs (and I'm not sure Jarmo has let any RFA walk?): PLD, Robinson, Milano, MacInnis, Stenlund, Lilja, Gavrikov, Carlsson, Korpisalo, Kivlenieks, Merzlikins, Anderson, Kukan, Dano, Fortier, Bittner, Thurkauf, Scott, Sherwood, Collins, Prapavessis, Somerby (22 in total). I'd guess maybe one or two they let walk or sign to an AHL-contract if they'd entertain it (a la Vigneault).

They'll also want to consider contracts for Angle, Howarth, Voronkov, Karlberg, Meyer, Stucker, Berni, Hjorth, Thome, and any 2020 draftees.

There are 23 players under contract already who will count against the 50 contract cap, if they are not traded or bought out.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Bruins fan coming in peace.

I'm a big Josh Anderson fan. I know he's been injured and his stats aren't exactly sparkling this season but I'm curious what the expected return would be from the Bruins in a deal for him?

Would Danton Heinen + 2nd/3rd or B Level prospect get it done?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I, for one am thrilled with the goaltender play in the past two months. I will admit that I have been a Korpi critic but he has proven me wrong. He has played like a number one. And so has Elvis! So in answer to the question, EVENTUALLY (not now) if they both keep playing like this, I would trade one of them for forward help. What a trade chip it is for the CBJ to have a quality goalie to trade! I look forward with interest to see how this all will play out and to see what Jarmo might get back in a trade.

Having said all that, I would trade some of our defensive depth (Harrington, Savard) for forward help, but to be honest, a part of me says why trade at all? This team is playing great, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I won’t be surprised by a goalie deal in the summer. Both are RFA and will be looking for bigger deals if they continue to be strong through the rest of the season will probably each be pushing for a longer term commitment and more money. There will be a point when it won’t be cost efficient to keep them both.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Bruins fan coming in peace.

I'm a big Josh Anderson fan. I know he's been injured and his stats aren't exactly sparkling this season but I'm curious what the expected return would be from the Bruins in a deal for him?

Would Danton Heinen + 2nd/3rd or B Level prospect get it done?

Doesn't move the needle at all for me. Really only see Anderson being moved for an upgrade (almost certainly a center) and as part of a package.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I won’t be surprised by a goalie deal in the summer. Both are RFA and will be looking for bigger deals if they continue to be strong through the rest of the season will probably each be pushing for a longer term commitment and more money. There will be a point when it won’t be cost efficient to keep them both.

\
Lets let the season play out and see what happens. Who could possibly be talking about trading one of these goalies or considering their potential cap hit when extended? :sarcasm:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

To be fair, I think you'd move at max 1 at the TDL depending on our position and the ability of Peeke and Kukan to return (and Murray). This would most likely be Savard or Nutivaara.
For the expansion draft, we're likely o have some intereting forwards available as well (Stenlund?) A report on Ryan Collins would also be nifty, but really a bottom pair D amn to fill a gap should not be hard to come across.

Nutivaara is on a stupidly-cheap contract. Harrington is barely serviceable at the NHL level (at least, on this team). Savard probably brings back a better return and is the player most unlikely to be offered a contract extension, given his age. I guess, given his cap hit, Nuti might bring back a better return. To me, he has always seemed to have higher upside, but not allowed to play to his full potential given Jones & Werenski ahead of him. I think he'd be really good on a PP unit.

I would be hesitant to move anyone given the injury bug -> who's left in Cleveland to call up besides Clendening? Depth has proven valuable this season. The team is trying to force Jarmo not to sell with a playoff push right now. The team does have the cap space to add a rental at the deadline.

I think a lot of this depends on health and players returning. For example, Kukan isn't returning any time soon so that probably reduces the willingness to trade. However, once the summer hits, a guy like Nuti can provide a lot of value with his low cap hit and high upside to someone like Winnepeg.

Still lots of time to wait and see. If anything happens, I imagine it will be at the eleventh hour.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
\
Lets let the season play out and see what happens. Who could possibly be talking about trading one of these goalies or considering their potential cap hit when extended? :sarcasm:
That’s why I said “if they continue to be strong through the rest of the season.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->