Who do we rank 8th

Who do we rank 8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Actually went Askarov here. I don't think any other players will make as large a difference.

I know I've been pretty vocal about getting Commesso or Daws much cheaper much later, but I guess it doesn't really matter since we don't pick #8 anyway :P But if we were to trade down with NJD or something, I'd probably use one of the two picks on Askarov (if Ottawa hasn't already). There are quite a few forwards available in the 2nd that could have higher ceilings than Perfetti, just much higher bust potential too.

Last edited:

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I'm surprised nobody else puts Jarvis in this range. Has the best best points and shots per 20 minutes in this entire draft including Laf and Byfield. He plays a two way game with a ton of speed. Nobody likes the two-way player that has the best stats in the draft?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm surprised nobody else puts Jarvis in this range. Has the best best points and shots per 20 minutes in this entire draft including Laf and Byfield. He plays a two way game with a ton of speed. Nobody likes the two-way player that has the best stats in the draft?

I have him about in this tier, 8-14ish. I could see someone taking him this early, sure. There's a lot to like about him especially since he's scoring like that in the WHL, and he's gritty like JDub, takes the puck to the net and hangs around.

Reactions: LAKings88

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Actually went Askarov here. I don't think any other players will make as large a difference.

I know I've been pretty vocal about getting Commesso or Daws much cheaper much later, but I guess it doesn't really matter since we don't pick #8 anyway :P But if we were to trade down with NJD or something, I'd probably use one of the two picks on Askarov (if Ottawa hasn't already). There are quite a few forwards available in the 2nd that could have higher ceilings than Perfetti, just much higher bust potential too.

After the Bernier experiment, I just don’t think goalies should be taken top twenty.

Since 2008, the following goalies have been selected in the first round:
  • Chet Pickard (18)
  • Tom McCollum (30)
  • Jack Campbell (11)
  • Mark Visentin (27)
  • Andrei Vasilevskiy (19)
  • Malcolm Subban (24)
  • Ilya Samsonov (22)
  • Jake Oettinger (25)
  • Spencer Knight (13)
I don’t love that list! I understand that Askarov Is Different (tm) but so was Knight, and Campbell, and Pickard, etc.

For as good as he one day might be, I’d rather let someone else draft and develop him.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I get that, especially with the WJC. But his body of work is staggeringly impressive.
I have Chicago and Minnesota in dire need of a top quality youngster to pin their future hopes and aspirations on and Askarov comes up. Outside of those teams,Calgary,Nashville,Ottawa,San Jose and Colorado also need a 'tender for the system and NHL duty in a few years time. So if Askarov slips past Chicago and Minnesota look for one of the other teams to take a gander!
1.011212121.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just not sold on goalies as first rounders anymore too.

Honestly I'm not even sure I'd take him here myself, I very much feel the same way. He's one of the rare 'exceptions' imo but also We have little to no chance to pick him here so I'm just 'ranking' him to get him out of the way because I think it's fair to his talent vs. the rest of this tier :laugh:

Reactions: funky and LAKings88

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I wouldn't touch Askarov here. Very little correlation between the round you draft a goalie and their future nhl success. Askarov showed a really bad glove in the WJs. And when you look at his stats it looks great until you realize that league he plays in is filled with goalies that have ridiculous stats. In fact I looked him up a few months back and he had somewhere around the 30th best sv%.

He might end up being a very good goalie. But I feel like many players in the top of this draft they were put there based on their draft-1 seasons which essentially established their pedigree. And what has happened this season is basically just being ignored.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Went with Perfetti here. I think whoever drafts Perfetti around this pick should be really be happy

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I wouldn't touch Askarov here. Very little correlation between the round you draft a goalie and their future nhl success. Askarov showed a really bad glove in the WJs. And when you look at his stats it looks great until you realize that league he plays in is filled with goalies that have ridiculous stats. In fact I looked him up a few months back and he had somewhere around the 30th best sv%.

He might end up being a very good goalie. But I feel like many players in the top of this draft they were put there based on their draft-1 seasons which essentially established their pedigree. And what has happened this season is basically just being ignored.
I think the Russians have done a great job in developing 'tenders the last 5-8 and seem to be producing some really good NHLers that will see/have seen continue to see stardom in the NHL...Varlamov, Vasilevski, Samsonov,Georgiyev,Shestyorkin and Sorokin! Askarov will follow suit and follow the path of Tretiak,Khabibulin and Nabakov

upload_2020-6-14_20-48-31.png
upload_2020-6-14_20-48-31.png

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

First off, I agree on not taking goalies this high for the first reason you listed. I don't think we should make an exception for Askarov, and I wouldn't draft him any higher than Florida took Knight last year.

However, he's literally the only 17/18 year old to be a starting goalie in any of the European men's pro leagues per Pronman. It's the equivalent of a player gaining exceptional status in the CHL; they aren't going to burn the doors off their first year, but it's damn impressive they're playing that young.

Pronman's scouting report: Why goalie Iaroslav Askarov is a...
He got more starts, 18 of them, as a U18 goalie in the VHL last season, than all other U18 goalies have gotten combined in the league’s history.
So how about playing European pro in general? Here is the list of goalies who were picked in the first round, were a U18 and played pro their entire draft season like Askarov did: (BLANK)
He wasn’t a top goalie in the VHL. He had a .920 save percentage but that was 42nd among goalies who had at least 15 appearances. The credit to Askarov is being able to hold his own versus men in a good league as a June 2002 birth date, as opposed to being able to dominate the level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad