Who do we qualify

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Musil gets a bad rap.

Look at Scott Harrington in Toronto. He was a key piece in the Kessel deal and his development curve is very similar to Musil's.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Brandon Davidson. Sign. Either to RFA status or at least a couple years beyond. So hard to say where this kid will land. Projects as a serious top 4 D-man if he keeps going but too small a sample size to commit yet.

Zack Kassian. Sign. As long as he has proven himself outside the rink inside he has shown enough to move forward with him.

Iiro Pakarinen. Not as impressed as others with his play. Had some good games and bad games just not sure he will be anything more than a call up.

Tyler Pitlick. Sign. I don't have it in me not to root for this guy. Sucks he is injured all the time but he is one of our very few smart second round picks. NHL size, skating, and shot. Decent IQ... Just injured all the time. Heard a quote where he said he felt if not for his injuries he would be in the NHL and normally I would think that a terrible statement to make but... It really does look that way.

Kale Kessy. Could care less.

David Musil. Sign only if our RD plan doesn't improve. Has been solid in AHL I've heard but I still just don't even see a player worthy of even being a call up. He could end up being our Chorney... If we have patience.

Adam Clendening. Sign if he continues to play ok. To my eye he is a big improvement on Schultz at least.

Jordan Oesterle. Sign. Looks better in the NHL than I thought he would but still only an injury call up.

Laurent Brossoit. Sign for back up duty.

Martin Gernat. Let walk. Thought he would make it, was wrong.

Luke Gazdic. Let walk. Liked him but unnecessary for this team.

Justin Schultz. Hahahahahahahahahaah, yes!

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Obvious, and probably NHLer's:
Brandon Davidson - Obviously a keeper. I'd sign him for 3 years probably
Zack Kassian - 2x2. If he keeps his head out of his ass he's a good 3rd liner.
Iiro Pakarinen - Physical, good shot, Right handed and improving. A no-brainer.
Laurent Brossoit - Our top prospect.

Obvious AHLer's:
David Musil - No brainer IMO, young D take time and as long as they keep improving then you keep bringing them along. He's got Doug Murray potential still, and he was something like 24 when he made the show.
Jordan Oesterle - They can't all be rookies in the AHL and he's improving. I'd sign him.

Probably keep for one more year:
Adam Clendening - I'd keep him as depth, we need some righty's.
Kale Kessy - Doing better than i thought he would be, i think he probably deserves another contract.
Tyler Pitlick - I thought the bulb turned on last year for him but he just can't stay healthy. I'd probably qualify him for depth. He's the kind of guy that can be useful in the bottom 6, and he does seem to be still improving.

No idea:
Niklas Lundstrom - No idea, let's see how he looks.
Luke Gazdic - He's not bad for an enforcer but he's part of a dying breed. If they want to keep an enforcer in the system just in case then for sure you qualify him, as he's one of the best out there in terms of fighting and hockey ability, but if management is ready to move on from this player type then they should just cut bait.

Let go:
Martin Gernat - Obviously should be let go.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Davidson - Qualify (I assume he ends up with a 2 or 3 year contract)
Kassian - Qualify (I see a 1 or 2 yr contract)
Pakarinen - Qualify
Oesterle - Qualify
Clendening - Honestly I got no clue what Edmonton will do here
Brossoit - Qualify (See him getting a 1 yr contract)
Musil - Qualify
Gazdic - Do not qualify
Pitlick - Do not qualify
Gernat - Do not qualify
Lundstrom - Do not qualify
Kessy - Qualify

This what I think the Oilers will do in the offseason

This is what I wouldn't mind seeing. Kessy can go either way. Pilick is a physical player made of glass. Musil is still worth a spot on the farm and could surprise people. Is Reinhart really that much better than him to this point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad