Speculation: Who Do The Kings Protect In The Expansion Draft

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The lists we make now can change dramatically over the lists we make at the conclusion of the 2020-2021 season, for anyone of these bubble players could have an unexpected breakout season, and someone who most would protect now many not be on that list at the end of the season.

Reactions: Vino and Fat Elvis

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If the Kings are worried about protecting Quick then this team hasn't learned a thing and won't be competing for a Cup anytime soon.

I read a few articles saying that Seattle should take Quick, which was confusing.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The lists we make now can change dramatically over the lists we make at the conclusion of the 2020-2021 season, for anyone of these bubble players could have an unexpected breakout season, and someone who most would protect now many not be on that list at the end of the season.

Added to what you mentioned, I’m fairly certain there are players that currently do not meet the exposure requirements that may do so by the end of next season depending on how many games they appear in.

Wondering if these rules could be slightly tweaked if the NHL does not play a full season next year.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
You guys really don't think they'll protect Brown? 100% he's protected either by actual protection or a deal so Seattle doesn't take him.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
You guys really don't think they'll protect Brown? 100% he's protected either by actual protection or a deal so Seattle doesn't take him.

If they take him, i'd say "thank you sir, may I have another?"

You get the idea.
Added to what you mentioned, I’m fairly certain there are players that currently do not meet the exposure requirements that may do so by the end of next season depending on how many games they appear in.

Wondering if these rules could be slightly tweaked if the NHL does not play a full season next year.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out.

I imagine they would pro-rate the games played requirement, like if they cut the season to 60 (as an example) games, 40 would become 29, and 70 would become ~55-60 or so.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Brown will be 36 (later turning 37) in 2021, and will have one year left on a $5.875M cap hit. Would seem foolish to even take him, but if Seattle wants to borrow Brown for one season and waste an expansion draft selection, then I’ll applaud them for their stupidity.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

He won't be protected, there is zero chance they would take Brown. Aside from his age, they've seen how he played under a coach he didn't want to play for much less take the risk of how he will play in a place where he doesn't want to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad