Speculation: Who Do The Kings Protect In The Expansion Draft

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
- Kopitar has an NMC. They have to protect him
- even if LA didn't, Seattle wouldn't think twice about nabbing a bonafide No. 1 center for free. Whether for talent or reaching the cap floor

The NMC expires after next season. That is after the draft?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
At Kopitars age and salary I don't see the reason to protect him. Even a building team would have to think twice before taking on $11m in salary on a player who is over 30. I love Kopi and want to see him retire a King if possible but he is a mentor now as we aren't a legit contender just yet. I might rather have the salary cap and move him and if possible Brownie and Carts while the rebuild happens.
We have a bunch of borderline NHLers. Hard decision to make for sure though.
You are kidding right?

Reactions: go4hockey

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
- even if LA didn't, Seattle wouldn't think twice about nabbing a bonafide No. 1 center for free. Whether for talent or reaching the cap floor
Seattle would be tinkled pink...Kopi's not going anywhere...and not to Seattle during expansion

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Kopitar's NMC expired this year (19-20). He now has a modified NTC the remaining 4 years of his contract, so technically they do not have to protect him. That being said, it's 100% correct he will be protected. Shear lunacy not to.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Kopitar's NMC expired this year (19-20). He now has a modified NTC the remaining 4 years of his contract, so technically they do not have to protect him. That being said, it's 100% correct he will be protected. Shear lunacy not to.
Of course, but it could be interesting to see what Blake might get in return, especially if next year's team took a step back for some reason.
Is someone cutting his own hair?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

My mistake, capfriendly said it was still an nmc. Thank you!

The point stands, name me a team who would not take Kopitar for free, and I will name you a bad GM. Even with cap issues, I would expect them to make room.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I'm an expansion team with zero cap problems and it would help to have some players with name recognition as I build my fan base. Do I select Austin Wagner or Anze Kopitar hahahahahaha.

Austin Kopitar, duh! Can't fathom not protecting Kopitar under any circumstance. We don't need to free up the money, and we don't have anyone better that needs to be protected.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
You are kidding right?
No, I mean he isn't on par with other great players like Kubalik anymore so why protect him? He is no longer having an NMC after this (or whatever season is next) season so he could be taken by the Krakheads and we can get more serious about our rebuild. What is happening today is what has happened with this team since I started being a fan back in 1977. Hang on to players because they have been great (loyalty, I know it is outdated but I still love it) and try to surround them with other like caliber players. It simply does not work. As evidenced by our cup teams you need to struggle and build a core group of young players who are all die hards for the team and winning and then you move a few of the players that you don't see as being a key part of your success for a couple of veterans who can put you over the top and provide the team with any gaps in experience that might be missing.

Sure, the hand onto your vets past their prime and try to instill the team with young talent has worked for a cup here or there but building an org that is a consistent winner and threat to compete for the cup year in and year out is a different thing. It takes time and it takes vision and IF we are doing it correctly then moving Kopi, Quick, Carter and Brown would be statistically speaking the smarter way of going. Just an opinion but one I have seen proven to be true over time.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Kings don't have enough prospects or draft picks. They should consider moving Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Brown and Carter for Filip Chytil, Julien Gauthier, Brett Howden, Ryan Lindgren, Alexander Georgiev and more draft picks.

Then ice a lineup full of players who have barely or never played in the NHL, and expect them to win. This is surely the proper way to successfully build a team; with only prospects and draft picks.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If anything Dean was too loyal to his players.

True,

But what was done to Dustin Brown was one of the low moments in the history of the franchise. The man should have worn the C for as long as he was playing for the Kings. He was made a scapegoat because the coach and GM lost total control of the entire franchise.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
You only expose Kopitar if you're 100% ready to lose him. At the least they'll hold onto him to shelter byfield/stutzle and the other youngins

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
True,

But what was done to Dustin Brown was one of the low moments in the history of the franchise. The man should have worn the C for as long as he was playing for the Kings. He was made a scapegoat because the coach and GM lost total control of the entire franchise.
Brownie was playing like shit then if you remember coming off 3 consecutive(not counting the strike) crap years of less than 30 points...that's not a captain,that's retirement alley...like I said he has Kopi-Star to thank for his career...Brown should been a 3rd liner but Kopi made him look good...rode the coat-tails

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I love Kopitar. He might actually be my #1 all-time Kings over the course of being a fan since 1975. But he's not a traditional leader (William Wallace follow me into battle) type personality. Brown is and he's a heart & soul type. Quick has that personality, but of course he's your goalie. Captain isn't simply your best player or points leader. It's more than that. The Brown demotion was an embarrassment. I could understand it if there was a guy ready to take the reigns and be that leader. But we had nobody (except for maybe Quick). DD was too young at the time and he's still just not mature enough (among other issues.
I'd rather a guy like Justin Williams be my Captain or than Kopitar. Mike Richards without the drugs would have been a good C.

Reactions: David Lunch

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
There's a zero percent chance the Kings expose Kopitar. That's absolutely insane. His contract is up in four years. Even in four years, he won't be a burden. His contract ends when some of our younger guys might be finishing their entry-level contracts. At that point, maybe Kopitar signs a smaller, shorter contract to be our second- or third-line center, maybe three years at $5 million. Or maybe he's toast by then and we don't even re-sign him. Either way, Kopitar is still a top ten center in the league and will be for the foreseeable future.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
No, I mean he isn't on par with other great players like Kubalik anymore so why protect him? He is no longer having an NMC after this (or whatever season is next) season so he could be taken by the Krakheads and we can get more serious about our rebuild. What is happening today is what has happened with this team since I started being a fan back in 1977. Hang on to players because they have been great (loyalty, I know it is outdated but I still love it) and try to surround them with other like caliber players. It simply does not work. As evidenced by our cup teams you need to struggle and build a core group of young players who are all die hards for the team and winning and then you move a few of the players that you don't see as being a key part of your success for a couple of veterans who can put you over the top and provide the team with any gaps in experience that might be missing.

Sure, the hand onto your vets past their prime and try to instill the team with young talent has worked for a cup here or there but building an org that is a consistent winner and threat to compete for the cup year in and year out is a different thing. It takes time and it takes vision and IF we are doing it correctly then moving Kopi, Quick, Carter and Brown would be statistically speaking the smarter way of going. Just an opinion but one I have seen proven to be true over time.

tomdelongewhatthef*ck.gif

Reactions: TruKingFan

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
Who called Kopitar a "shitty leader" or someone that "young guys can learn nothing from him"? I'll wait for that.... :popcorn:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Who called Kopitar a "shitty leader" or someone that "young guys can learn nothing from him"? I'll wait for that.... :popcorn:

Oh right, he’s just not a “traditional” leader, whatever that means. I’m sure some fan sitting on his La-Z-Boy recliner knows more about leadership and is connected to the locker room as much as the players are.

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
Oh right, he’s just not a “traditional” leader, whatever that means. I’m sure some fan sitting on his La-Z-Boy recliner knows more about leadership and is connected to the locker room as much as the players are.

I'm just curious why you felt the need to totally change what was said previously by someone else. It reminds me of my mom who always has to greatly embellish old stories -- so much so that everyone rolls their eyes knowing the facts are BS. Even when the original story is good as is. Like you can discuss the "traditional leader" comment -- but why make such a left turn claiming shitty leader and can't learn anything from him comments? It's not needed. You can argue based on what i said....no need to make crap up. Just saying

Reactions: ricardfromage

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm just curious why you felt the need to totally change what was said previously by someone else. It reminds me of my mom who always has to greatly embellish old stories -- so much so that everyone rolls their eyes knowing the facts are BS. Even when the original story is good as is. Like you can discuss the "traditional leader" comment -- but why make such a left turn claiming shitty leader and can't learn anything from him comments? It's not needed. You can argue based on what i said....no need to make crap up. Just saying

Maybe I’m tired of reading comments from the likes of you who know nothing about Kopitar’s leadership but can boldly make claims about it. I guess you can question him on his leadership but I can’t question you on your professional assessment.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I love Kopitar. He might actually be my #1 all-time Kings over the course of being a fan since 1975. But he's not a traditional leader (William Wallace follow me into battle) type personality. Brown is and he's a heart & soul type. Quick has that personality, but of course he's your goalie. Captain isn't simply your best player or points leader. It's more than that. The Brown demotion was an embarrassment. I could understand it if there was a guy ready to take the reigns and be that leader. But we had nobody (except for maybe Quick). DD was too young at the time and he's still just not mature enough (among other issues.
I'd rather a guy like Justin Williams be my Captain or than Kopitar. Mike Richards without the drugs would have been a good C.

No Kings' speeches for Dustin Brown

"They say actions speak louder than words; and he's yelling his leadership on the ice with the way he plays," said teammate Dustin Penner, who described Brown as a "relentless and tireless worker and a quiet leader."

The "quiet leader" saluted by other 2003 draft greats; magic tricks, game-changing hits and accountability - LA Kings Insider

Jeff Carter, on reconnecting with Brown when joining the team in 2012:
You grow up getting into the league at 18, you get married and have kids. Guys change a lot. Brownie, when I came in, he was still a quiet guy, but he was that quiet leader and you know when he said something in the room, everybody listened.

Dustin Brown has been delivering the big hits longer than any other player in Kings history

“He was so quiet in the room,” Robitaille said. “He would just sit quietly, but you could see him play like a tank.
“I still think he’s a shy guy. But it’s the way he played that’s the reason that he became a captain, and then he really took it upon himself to be a great leader. He went out of his way to learn to express himself. He’s always been a great quiet leader.”

Dustin Brown endures as one of the NHL’s most criticized captains

“In the room, I’m pretty quiet. I’m getting myself ready in-between periods. My vocal leadership is more in-game, on the bench. There’s more ups and down on the bench. It’s about keeping the guys upbeat,” said Brown.

--------------

I don't see how an argument can be made that Brown is a traditional leader and Kopitar is not, when the consensus around the club has always been that Brown let his play do the talking, which by my book would be classified as nontraditional.

Furthermore, Brown was removed as captain because he had 3 consecutive sub-30 point seasons (ignoring the preceding shortened 2013 season). Now I'm not really a "pressure of the captaincy" guy and certainly recognize that multiple factors, including the departure of Sutter and change in system, likely were contributors, but Brown had a clear offensive resurgence after the C was removed from his chest.

I believe one large contributor to this was the gradual change in officiating and rules, particularly in regards to hits to the head, and its effect on Brown's style of play. Referee's became very reactive to the big hits and on several instances Brown had been heavily penalized for hits that, upon review, followed the letter of the law. Off the top of my head I can think of the hit on Miettinen in 2010 in which he delivered an open ice shoulder-to-shoulder hit and was thrown out of the game for a headshot. DPS rescinded the match penalty the next day and called it a legal hit. Also the infamous hurtl of Hertl in 2013 in which he was also tossed but DPS did not impose any supplemental discipline for the collision. Brown expressed his frustration because he was following the rules, but still being tossed from games. He recognized that, as captain, he can't be getting tossed from games and struggled to remain effective while worrying about the ref's making the wrong call again.

Switching the captaincy to Kopitar was the right move, it allowed Brown to focus on playing his game. 147 points in 219 games the last 3 seasons vs 82 points in 243 games the last 3 seasons he was captain.

salami

Sep 25, 2005
True,

I don't think it's necessarily fair for those of us who have never set foot in the room to make such an assertion. I'm a Brown fan...I have been since he made his debut, but the captain of the team is part of the leadership group as much as he is part of the team. If the coach lost the room, the captain likely lost the room also. Sutter is so long on character, I just don't see him making this move unless he believed it was really necessary.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don't think it's necessarily fair for those of us who have never set foot in the room to make such an assertion. I'm a Brown fan...I have been since he made his debut, but the captain of the team is part of the leadership group as much as he is part of the team. If the coach lost the room, the captain likely lost the room also. Sutter is so long on character, I just don't see him making this move unless he believed it was really necessary.

Hard to say, but there was certainly a very public feud between Brown and Sutter. Sutter was noted for being extremely hard on the players, I can only imagine that he treated Brown worst of all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad