Speculation: Who Do The Kings Protect In The Expansion Draft

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Thoughts and Ideas. Hoping we to protect 7 forwards and 3 defense.

Seattle probably puked when looking over the Kings eligible list. Unless Blake goes on a free agent/trading binge we won't lose anyone that will cause gnashing of the teeth etc.

I think they will go the 8 skaters route, there is really only ahem gasp 1 forward they really need to keep and that is Kopitar. So I see him plus Doughty, Roy, player X (unknown LHD), Walker (not guaranteed), Kempe, maybe Iafallo, and the other guys fighting it out for a spot: Lizzote, Frk, Wagner, Grundstrom, Clague, etc

Blake could probably keep everyone he wants and just send them someone he doesn't need to keep along with a pick.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Kopitar, Kempe, Iafallo, X forward
Doughty, Roy, Walker, Clague
Petersen

There's not enough valuable forwards to protect so they go 4 defenseman and I think they would want to keep Clague. So whichever forward is playing the best by then will get protected. They might want to protect Grundstrom because you don't want to lose an asset like him acquired in a trade for free.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think the kings will go with 8 skaters.

Kopitar
Iafallo
Grundstrom
Kempe - maybe
Doughty
Roy
Walker
Clague

Petersen

Reactions: cyclones22

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
For what it’s worth, The Athletic did a whole series on who each team would protect (Dillman chose the protected players for the Kings) and Seattle ultimately chose Wagner.

I’d be bummed to lose him, but damn, we must be the least valuable to Seattle (unless they want to select Brown, Carter, or Quick).

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Hate the feeling of not showing loyalty to D Brown. My Dean Lombardi is showing...
Brownie is going to be just about 37,when Seattle starts to mull over the availables why would the Kings show loyalty did he give back the 5.8 M per year when he put up sub-par numbers for 3-4 years...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I think the kings will go with 8 skaters.

Kopitar
Iafallo
Grundstrom
Kempe - maybe
Doughty
Roy
Walker
Clague

Petersen
Like the list,Kempe for sure he's LA's 2nd best forward,respect due a healthy Carts!I had Kings going the 7-3 route but protecting Clague is contingent on him having a great off-season and 3rd Pro year. Been pulling for him for 5 years now even before the Kings tabbed him in the 2nd round,51st overall. Go get 'em Rags! Cheering for Grundstrom too and Frk has to be considered. A lot will be determined in the next 11 months me thinks
cut.jpg
1.125445435983475.jpg
1.23445454567586.jpg
1.-0998=90808.jpg

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
For what it’s worth, The Athletic did a whole series on who each team would protect (Dillman chose the protected players for the Kings) and Seattle ultimately chose Wagner.

I’d be bummed to lose him, but damn, we must be the least valuable to Seattle (unless they want to select Brown, Carter, or Quick).
It really comes down to whether or not Wagner and some of the other marginal forwards can make themselves more valuable than the loss of Walker or Clague. I will be surprised if Blake doesn't find a D (like Brenden Dillon to play with pouty Doughty) so both Walker and Clague would have to be exposed if he then goes 7F and 3 D.

Fortunately keeping KM on the roster enables him to fulfill the requirement to expose a D man under contract for season 21-22. Moreover, other teams will be in worse shape so fleecing other teams to beef up the forward pool could happen as well.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Kurtis MacDermid would still have to meet the exposure requirement of 40 games played in 2020-2021 or 70 in 2019-2021. He's played 45 in 2019-2020 so he would need to play 25 more games next season.

In a shortened next season, playing 25 games could be an issue for a 6-7th D man. What happens if he's hurt and lost for the season in game 20? I think any LHD UFA the kings sign would get a 2 year contract for expansion draft purposes. Plus, UFAs in non pandemic years want term (see willie mitchell) so are more likely to sign if they get it.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Kurtis MacDermid would still have to meet the exposure requirement of 40 games played in 2020-2021 or 70 in 2019-2021. He's played 45 in 2019-2020 so he would need to play 25 more games next season.

In a shortened next season, playing 25 games could be an issue for a 6-7th D man. What happens if he's hurt and lost for the season in game 20? I think any LHD UFA the kings sign would get a 2 year contract for expansion draft purposes. Plus, UFAs in non pandemic years want term (see willie mitchell) so are more likely to sign if they get it.
Good point if they don't prorate on shortened seasons. If that means Walker needs to be exposed I'm fine with it. I could even see him being traded if the Kings aren't in the playoff race. He's been a pleasant surprise but not irreplaceable -- I think he was better last year than this year. It would also allow Blake to upgrade forwards by going 7 and 3. Lastly there is always the option of bribing Seattle with picks to take someone else.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
If they sign that bridge top 4-5 type defenseman (like Scuderi in 2009) somebody in the 26-30 range, like Edmundson, Dillon or Brodie etc. I don't think many of us will mind losing Walker or Clague.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I mean, you can protect Brown if you have a spare spot and I would be devastated if he were plucked from us, but I don't think Seattle will bite on him. We will see, though he would be a great captain for them to start with...

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
If they sign that bridge top 4-5 type defenseman (like Scuderi in 2009) somebody in the 26-30 range, like Edmundson, Dillon or Brodie etc. I don't think many of us will mind losing Walker or Clague.

I would. I think most on this board, as usual, overrate players they only see play 3 times a year. Why waste an asset, and an opportunity this year, for a player like that? Do we not think similar players will be available next summer? When the cap will still be in the same shape, and the Kings will have even more room? And even more knowledge on what prospects are ready? IE will Clague/Bjorn/Anderson all take another step(let alone Hults/Spence/Nousi)? If so, do we even need a signing? Will they get a chance if we sign bottom 4 defensemen to block the path for little to no gain?

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I would. I think most on this board, as usual, overrate players they only see play 3 times a year. Why waste an asset, and an opportunity this year, for a player like that? Do we not think similar players will be available next summer? When the cap will still be in the same shape, and the Kings will have even more room? And even more knowledge on what prospects are ready? IE will Clague/Bjorn/Anderson all take another step(let alone Hults/Spence/Nousi)? If so, do we even need a signing? Will they get a chance if we sign bottom 4 defensemen to block the path for little to no gain?

I don't think it's a likely scenario, more likely to bring back Hutton or bring in someone similar on a 1 or 2 year deal just to meet the requirement of a defenseman they need to expose, I certainly hope MacDermid isn't playing that many games.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's still too early. Can't even list a guy like Iafallo. He's a UFA after next year, so if he doesn't re-sign, there's no protecting him. He's going to be 27 in December, and we know he's not a real 1st line guy, but he's already making $2.4m. How much does it take to keep him? Should he be overpaid, just because the Kings have space to waste?

We also don't yet know who we're all going to sour on as next year unfolds.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I think its just the opposite, people overrate their own players. I think Blake knows he needs to find someone to play with Doughty and its time to start winning. Bringing back another fill in to avoid losing an average player for the expansion draft just sends the wrong message.

KrazyKings

May 16, 2010
Southern California
Brown was exposed in the last expansion draft.

Ya but to be fair I’d say that Brown has rebounded pretty significantly since the last expansion draft. I was 100% on board with exposing Brown at the last expansion but I believe he’s proved a lot of doubters wrong since then. At this point in time, I don’t see anything wrong with his current contract. He’s definitely more appealing this time around but I would agree that his age is a concern for a team starting from scratch.

With all of that being said, it definitely makes sense to expose Brown and not expose someone like Kempe or another younger forward who might play a nice role in the current rebuild/future lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
It's not so hard to choose who to pick but if LA picks up someone decent this offseason, it'll change the list. I think they should go with the 4D/4F spot.

1D) Doughty
2D) Walker
3D) Roy
4D) Clague/UFA

1F) Kopitar
2F) Kempe
3F) Iafallo
4F) Lizotte/Wagner

G) Petersen

If LA picks up a good Top4 Dman this offseason than Clague is on the chopping block. If they get a good forward (due to cap crunch) than Lizotte or Wagner are on the chopping block.

Reactions: Basilisk

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It's not so hard to choose who to pick but if LA picks up someone decent this offseason, it'll change the list. I think they should go with the 4D/4F spot.

1D) Doughty
2D) Walker
3D) Roy
4D) Clague/UFA

1F) Kopitar
2F) Kempe
3F) Iafallo
4F) Lizotte/Wagner

G) Petersen

If LA picks up a good Top4 Dman this offseason than Clague is on the chopping block. If they get a good forward (due to cap crunch) than Lizotte or Wagner are on the chopping block.

Looking at this, if they did sign a notable UFA LHD and MacDermid meets the games played requirement to be the exposed defenseman, you could make the case for protecting 5 defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad