Who do the Detroit Red Wings draft in the first round in 2020

Who is Detroit's 1st round pick in the June draft?

• Total voters

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I am also not against picking Askarov.

I don't expect us to, but I will be in no way broken up about it. Dude is legit.

People would be wise to remember we were on the Quinn Hughes train, too. And we knew Dach would go high.

Our scouting agency record speaks for itself.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
People would be wise to remember we were on the Quinn Hughes train, too. And we knew Dach would go high.

Our scouting agency record speaks for itself.

giphy.gif

Don't remember were you with me on the Draisaitl is the best forward in his draft?

Which granted Pasta calls into question, though I still go Draisaitl...

Askarov is a decade long answer, I get that goalies freak people out, but man if we really are selling off Athanasiou and maybe looking at a longer rebuild he is a really intriguing pick.

Shane Wright is on NHL network right now, I mean I hope we aren't in that race in 2022 but he is a really good player, super impressed by him right now.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
BPA is so silly.
Let's say you gave prospects a ranking from 1-100...

Lafrenierre 92
Byfield 90
Drysdale 90

If you lack centers and you have wingers and RD, don't you have to take Byfield if they're pretty close?
Now, if you have Lafreniere at 96 and the other guys at 86, that's another story.

Its so situational, you cant say one method is right or wrong.
For example, in 2015, if Edmonton was set at Center but needed D, you cant tell me you would have taken Hanifan over McDavid. Now this is an extreme, I admit that. But my point is that its completely situational. If you need a D-man, and the Center available is a better marginally, then yes I take the D-man.

Reactions: MBH

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Its so situational, you cant say one method is right or wrong.
For example, in 2015, if Edmonton was set at Center but needed D, you cant tell me you would have taken Hanifan over McDavid. Now this is an extreme, I admit that. But my point is that its completely situational. If you need a D-man, and the Center available is a better marginally, then yes I take the D-man.

Most of the organizations are far heavier on BPA than people think from what I have been told. You can let the organizational chart influence you in very tight talent assessments, you would never consider passing on a McDavid type guy.

A recent example of this would be the Wings selecting Zadina. They were rumored to be looking at all those D-man it was their intention and a guy fell down the board they had elevated above others. Usually this process has tiers, I have heard some teams put actually number grades at times. You have two 94 grade centers, do you go with the righty? I think we should there but they would need to have a very similar grade, that kind of stuff makes sense. It is the reason I believe if we have Drysdale at #4 and our top 3 go, if he is in his own tier he will be our pick regardless of Hronek and Seider, they will figure out how to cross that bridge when they get to it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am also not against picking Askarov.

I don't expect us to, but I will be in no way broken up about it. Dude is legit.
giphy.gif

Don't remember were you with me on the Draisaitl is the best forward in his draft?

Which granted Pasta calls into question, though I still go Draisaitl...

Askarov is a decade long answer, I get that goalies freak people out, but man if we really are selling off Athanasiou and maybe looking at a longer rebuild he is a really intriguing pick.

Shane Wright is on NHL network right now, I mean I hope we aren't in that race in 2022 but he is a really good player, super impressed by him right now.

If we pick a goalie you better start looking at 2022 players...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If we pick a goalie you better start looking at 2022 players...

I am not sure that isn't in the picture if we draft any of these guys anyway in terms of a harsh reality. I hope we aren't but we don't know that yet either in terms of we could take Raymond or Stutzle and still be in the Wright sweepstakes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Askarov would have to have a monster u18 or something to go top 5. It's not that he isn't a great goalie prospect. It's just that to go top 5 as a goalie, you need to be exceptional. And after that WJC, he doesn't look exceptional.

He has already had a monster U18 where he was the best player in the tournament, in a tournament where Hughes and Caulfield broke scoring records too none the less.

Askarov's WJC doesn't change what he has done since he exploded on the scene a few years ago.

I get it, people don't want a goalie. But this isn't just any goalie, but go ahead gang have a cringeworthy Tyler Bertuzzi or Larkin esk draft day thread if they do it. I for one would be excited that we have drafted the best goalie prospect in 15 years.

We will have plenty of options, but he is one because he is a very special talent. We will have to see what Yzerman and company decide.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am not sure that isn't in the picture if we draft any of these guys anyway in terms of a harsh reality. I hope we aren't but we don't know that yet either in terms of we could take Raymond or Stutzle and still be in the Wright sweepstakes.

It’s the biggest way to make sure we are punting in my eyes.

Look guys, we are a lock for top 4 this year, it’s not like we are picking 6th. There’s no guarantee we are in this spot again. This might be the highest pick we get in this rebuild. The opportunity cost is way, way too high to be talking about picking a goalie considering the lottery we are dealing with.

And I really doubt Askarov goes top 5 after his WJC performance. If you want to talk about a guy who dominates the U18s like he did, then comes back and dominates the WJC, that’s one thing. But he didn’t. If I’m taking a goalie top 4-5 they need to be consistently dominant. Already seeing peaks and valleys before they get drafted? That changes things.

Reactions: Darkseider

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Look guys, we are a lock for top 4 this year, it’s not like we are picking 6th. There’s no guarantee we are in this spot again. This might be the highest pick we get in this rebuild. The opportunity cost is way, way too high to be talking about picking a goalie considering the lottery we are dealing with.

And I really doubt Askarov goes top 5 after his WJC performance. If you want to talk about a guy who dominates the U18s like he did, then comes back and dominates the WJC, that’s one thing. But he didn’t. If I’m taking a goalie top 4-5 they need to be consistently dominant. Already seeing peaks and valleys before they get drafted? That changes things.

We absolutely cannot take a goalie this draft. The player we draft in June is the most important pick to date of this rebuild, like you said. Ideally, the lottery sacrifices having to make any difficult choices, and we just walk away with Lafreniere, but say we pick 3 or 4? The choice becomes all the more paramount.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Evaluating a kid over two weeks of hockey is really silly in my opinion, he didn't need to dominate that tournament, these teams have gathered details for several years on him. That tournament alone doesn't dictate his fate, like it won't dictate Byfield or the other guys. I actually thought Askarov put too much pressure on himself, didn't look like the player I have seen in a ton of viewings. Him and Knight are worthy of their high pedigree in terms of recent netminders.

He is a viable option at 4 depending on how the draft unfolds and I would argue we might be pretty locked into that four picture next year without a lottery win. We are a pretty bad team, we will have to see what they decided to do in free agency and certainly we shouldn't be this unlucky, but I don't really see much that tells me we are climbing out of the basement next year as well in terms of a harsh reality. I expect Yzerman to deal Athanasiou, we don't know what we will get in the UFA period, but absent a Krug, a good NHL goalie and top three lottery type guy why are we getting remarkably better next year?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Evaluating a kid over two weeks of hockey is really silly in my opinion, he didn't need to dominate that tournament, these teams have gathered details for several years on him. That tournament alone doesn't dictate his fate, like it won't dictate Byfield or the other guys. I actually thought Askarov put too much pressure on himself, didn't look like the player I have seen in a ton of viewings. Him and Knight are worthy of their high pedigree in terms of recent netminders.

He is a viable option at 4 depending on how the draft unfolds and I would argue we might be pretty locked into that four picture next year without a lottery win. We are a pretty bad team, we will have to see what they decided to do in free agency and certainly we shouldn't be this unlucky, but I don't really see much that tells me we are climbing out of the basement next year as well in terms of a harsh reality. I expect Yzerman to deal Athanasiou, we don't know what we will get in the UFA period, but absent a Krug, a good NHL goalie and top three lottery type guy why are we getting remarkably better next year?

Are we likely a bottom 3 team again? Sure, especially if we don’t get a top 2 pick. But it’s harder to be the dead last team than people think imo. Finish 3rd last or 4th and you can get kicked out to pick 5, 6, 7. Bad teams go on little runs that can change things. Unless you are legitimately tanking there’s no guarantees. Hockey is a largely a game of bounces and things like that happen.

It’s not even about is Askarov a really good (elite) goalie prospect for me. It’s can we afford to use this guaranteed top 4 pick on not a forward/defenseman when there’s no guarantee we will get another?

There’s no way I can answer that second sentence as “yes”.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We absolutely cannot take a goalie this draft. The player we draft in June is the most important pick to date of this rebuild, like you said. Ideally, the lottery sacrifices having to make any difficult choices, and we just walk away with Lafreniere, but say we pick 3 or 4? The choice becomes all the more paramount.

There is a very real reality here that Askarov is the best player in this draft... I know some don't want to believe that, but I think he wins multiple Vezina Trophies. I am not saying I go into it with him as the only option or I am sold on picking him there. But it is a far cry from the whining and crying over the potential of picking the best goalie to enter a draft since 2005. I think him and Knight were the best goalies in drafts in the last decade it is just strange they were in back to back years but I am higher on Askarov than I was even Knight who I think probably should have gone top 10. I have a buddy that has been scouting for 30 years that says he is the best goalie he has seen period as a draft eligible, better than Carey Price. We will see, two games in the Czech Republic hasn't dissuaded me from having heard that and what I have seen.

Personally I can see the case for Stutzle or Drysdale (in particular I am a huge fan of Drysdale) if the top three goes Lafreniere, Byfield and Raymond. Askarov is in this caliber of player, really I think he sits with Byfield and Lafreniere in terms of being potential franchise level players. The point continues to be that yes this would be a difficult choice, but I wouldn't cry in my beer over it, I would look at it as okay Yzerman has answered a massive piece of the puzzle going forward rather than having the hot takes that dominated Larkin's draft day thread, Bertuzzi's draft day thread and yes even Seider's draft day thread of recent memory. If they decide to select Askarov at #4 it is because they think he is the best player available at that spot and I can see why they arrive at that. He is a really special hockey player in his draft year in my opinion.

The only thing to me that is going to undo Askarov is a DiPietro esk level of injury. I am not going to let that get me off evaluating him as an option because any of these guys could get steamrolled in a game and wind up significantly less because of health, we shall see.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
How about some cringeworthy Sheahan, McCollumn draftday threads?
You think it's wise to try and shame people into supporting drafting a goalie in the top 5?
There's plenty of evidence that suggests projecting cup-caliber goalies at 18 isn't f***ing easy.
That developing goalies isn't as linear as it is with other positions.
Worst Red Wings season in 35 years, I don't piss the reward away on a risky goalie.

Reactions: newfy

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Most of the organizations are far heavier on BPA than people think from what I have been told. You can let the organizational chart influence you in very tight talent assessments, you would never consider passing on a McDavid type guy.

I agree and I think that effect is even more pronounced at the top end of the draft. Usually the top 2 are pretty special players right off the hop but then after that the question marks start popping up. You know there will be a pretty significant drop-off at some point, avg career PPG for players picked even #6 is surprisingly low. When you're picking in the late 1st going need vs BPA is a valid debate. But in the top 5-10, you have to pick whoever you think might be one of those special players regardless of position. A great winger will bring more organizational value than a good centre, even if your team needed a centre more.

He has already had a monster U18 where he was the best player in the tournament, in a tournament where Hughes and Caulfield broke scoring records too none the less.

Askarov's WJC doesn't change what he has done since he exploded on the scene a few years ago.

I get it, people don't want a goalie. But this isn't just any goalie, but go ahead gang have a cringeworthy Tyler Bertuzzi or Larkin esk draft day thread if they do it. I for one would be excited that we have drafted the best goalie prospect in 15 years.

We will have plenty of options, but he is one because he is a very special talent. We will have to see what Yzerman and company decide.

My only issue with using such a high pick on a goalie is that they are the hardest to really project. A goalie that dominates at one level can get exposed at the next. And the NHL especially has a way of doing that. Striking out on this pick would be a disastrous setback for the rebuild.

If Askarov ends up being the pick, I'll trust that Yzerman and his scouting team have done their due diligence and hope for the best. But I'd be lying if I wouldn't be suffering from Mrazek flashbacks. And if you think #141 Mrazek flunking out of the org caused a ruckus around here, oh boy just imagine if #4 Askarov doesn't turn into a star...

All I can say is, RIP mods. :surrender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad