Who do the Detroit Red Wings draft in the first round in 2020

Who is Detroit's 1st round pick in the June draft?

• Total voters

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Why all the negativity in here? The league owes us after the '09 Finals! Lafreniere's in the bag!

Like I've been saying, I sincerely wish the lottery was rigged, because I have no doubt Detroit would get some bones thrown their way to be relevant again. Detroit fans travel well on the road (i.e. live all over the country) and a strong team helps keep those numbers boosted in arenas, particularly in the south. Detroit was also a primetime TV game darling before their fall. The league likes Detroit doing well. It's good for business.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Voted Drysdale.

Can't see the Wings winning anything in the lottery.

And the 3 guys I have above him, I believe will be gone in; Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
How depressing is it that we are clearly the worst team in the league and most likely will draft a player that basically has zero chance of helping us NEXT YEAR like Drysdale would.
Lafreniere and Byfield will be in the NHL next year. Stutzle would probably come over to GR. Raymond definitely needs another year in the SHL. Rossi, who knows. Guy is a meat cube already.

I don't think Drysdale will be in the NHL next year, though. No way. He's got to fill out and get stronger first. He's listed at 170. And he doesn't have a munchkin frame like a Hughes kid.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Like I've been saying, I sincerely wish the lottery was rigged, because I have no doubt Detroit would get some bones thrown their way to be relevant again. Detroit fans travel well on the road (i.e. live all over the country) and a strong team helps keep those numbers boosted in arenas, particularly in the south. Detroit was also a primetime TV game darling before their fall. The league likes Detroit doing well. It's good for business.

I agree with everything you said. But you can also make the point that the league still benefits when Detroit is bad for all those same reasons. Fans still support, travel, and watch the occasional primetime game even when the team is subpar. The same can't be said for a lot of other markets in the NHL.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree with everything you said. But you can also make the point that the league still benefits when Detroit is bad for all those same reasons. Fans still support, travel, and watch the occasional primetime game even when the team is subpar. The same can't be said for a lot of other markets in the NHL.

I think the lost revenue with the passive following of Detroit is probably pretty substantial. They might retain some of the adoration of fans, but it won’t be that way for much longer.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
They are most likely to pick fourth but they have a better chance than any other team to pick first. So, I'm going to pretend.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Lotttery was put in cause teams intentionally tanking. Was supposed to be a deterant, which it isn't just makes it less profitable. Please refer to Buffalo's anger with getting Eichel.

And Detroit is intentionally tanking.

Which is why Tank Commander Blashill is still coach.
Detroit is not intentionally tanking. We just suck very bad. Blashill leaving doesn't make us good.

Reactions: jkutswings

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Raymond not being an option is a big thread fail.
I won’t pretend to have great knowledge or viewing hours of these prospects, but Raymond scares me. I don’t see the big deal really, especially not for a smaller guy. Would be happier with Holtz tbh.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
If we own the 1st pick: Lafreniere
If we own the 2nd pick: Byfield
If we own the 3rd pick: Stutzle
If we own the 4th pick: Raymond

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
My gut says it will be either Devils or Senators who get no.1 pick if we go by the standings right now.

But hoping for no.1 so voted Lafreniere.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I feel like we are drafting either 2nd or 4th, although I believe it will be more likely 4th, so I think Stutzle if 3rd place team doesn't take him, since the Wings drafted Seider and Seider speaks Stutzle up a lot. I feel like Wings are probably high on him as well.

What are people's real expectations of who makes the NHL right away next season? I think Laf is a lock and Byfield probably will too, just cause lately the Top 2 usually play right away, but anyone else?

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Picking #3 would be the worst as we'd be sold the possibility Byfield might just fall, and then come draft day he goes #2. I'd almost rather pick 4th than 3rd so we don't have to hold that false hope up until the draft moment. Stutzle vs Raymond vs Drysdale I don't care who would be left for us at 4 OA as all rate similarly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad