Who do the Detroit Red Wings draft in the first round in 2020

Who is Detroit's 1st round pick in the June draft?

• Total voters

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I thnk we really gotta know where we pick first. I hope luck is with us we need it. I think one of Lafreniere or Byfield is our best case. I like Lafreniere better but Byfield's size would be great if he is the real deal

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I thnk we really gotta know where we pick first. I hope luck is with us we need it. I think one of Lafreniere or Byfield is our best case. I like Lafreniere better but Byfield's size would be great if he is the real deal

I think Lafreniere is a game breaking player, and he’s the type of player we need more than anything. But we have like an 18% chance of getting him despite a historically bad season.

Christien

May 1, 2010
We're most likely to pick 4th overall and if I were to predict the top 3 today it'd probably go:
1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle

The 3rd overall pick this year could be anybody and it really depends on the team who gets that pick. If a team gets 3rd and really needs a RHD I could easily see Drysdale going there, so it all depends. If the top 3 goes as I listed it before then I could see us taking Lucas Raymond.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Here we go Wings fans who do we get in the first round in 2020 draft. Past history may screw us again.

How is past history going to screw you?

It is impossible to fall spots in the draft due to the lottery.

If Detroit ends last their only guarantee pick is #4!

Yes there is a chance Detroit moves up, however, #4 is the pick they are guaranteed being 31st overall in standings. They would not entitled to picks 1, 2 or 3.

Picks 1, 2, and 3 are exclusive to lottery winners.

Reactions: 14ari13

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
How is past history going to screw you?

It is impossible to fall spots in the draft due to the lottery.

If Detroit ends last their only guarantee pick is #4!

Yes there is a chance Detroit moves up, however, #4 is the pick they are guaranteed being 31st overall in standings. They would not entitled to picks 1, 2 or 3.

Picks 1, 2, and 3 are exclusive to lottery winners.
The worst we could do is 4th with a 50% chance of that. Our last two drafts we dropped as you know from one to two spots.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
The worst we could do is 4th with a 50% chance of that. Our last two drafts we dropped as you know from one to two spots.

Detroit did not drop in either draft. It is impossible to drop from the minimal position guaranteed under the lottery system.

For the last place team, that guarantee is pick #4.

If other teams win the lottery the team drops 0 spots. If the last place team wins one of the lottery pick they move up.

Yes, there is almost a 50% chance last place MOVES UP from 4 to 1, 2, or 3.

However, they do not hold these picks. Since they do not hold (own) the picks, it is not possible to drop.

There is a 0% chance Detroit drops from 4th, because 4th is what the current draft rules guarantee!

This is what the draft guarantees (non-playoff):
Standing - Pick
#31 - 4th
#30 - 5th
#29 - 6th
#28 - 7th
#27 - 8th
#26 - 9th
#25 - 10th
etc.

To 'drop' in the draft, would mean expecting a pick you are not 'entitled' to.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Detroit did not drop in either draft. It is impossible to drop from the minimal position guaranteed under the lottery system.

For the last place team, that guarantee is pick #4.

If other teams win the lottery the team drops 0 spots. If the last place team wins one of the lottery pick they move up.

Yes, there is almost a 50% chance last place MOVES UP from 4 to 1, 2, or 3.

However, they do not hold these picks. Since they do not hold (own) the picks, it is not possible to drop.

There is a 0% chance Detroit drops from 4th, because 4th is what the current draft rules guarantee!

This is what the draft guarantees (non-playoff):
Standing - Pick
#31 - 4th
#30 - 5th
#29 - 6th
#28 - 7th
#27 - 8th
#26 - 9th
#25 - 10th
etc.

To 'drop' in the draft, would mean expecting a pick you are not 'entitled' to.

interesting way to look at it.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I really really really want Lafreniere in Detroit. He’s of my favorite draft prospects in a long time.

His game is so polished and he’s going to be one of those players that’s impactful from Day 1 in the NHL. Very mature player for his age.

I’m also a big fan of Byfield too though. We need another top center and he could honestly be just as good offensively or better. I just prefer the all-around game of Lafreniere

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

The point is, outside of a rigged result, no team in the lottery is "screwed". Bettman's Balls may have an unlucky bounce but that's it. Wings won't be screwed but may be unlucky in a lottery system approved by them.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Byfield is 10 mos younger than Lafreniere. The development curve is so steep at this age - basically Byfield in a years time is a more fair comparison to Lafreniere now.

Reactions: 14ari13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
interesting way to look at it.

I mean it reads like it’s a completely illogical and incorrect way of looking at it.

Team with the worst record is sitting in the number one spot...until they aren’t. What else can it be called? He’s essentially saying “you can’t drop until you are guaranteed your draft position” in which case...you just are incapable of dropping.

He’s just subscribing to mental gymnastics at this point.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I voted Stutzle. Feel like we're gonna drop to 3 or 4 and I'm praying we are able to get him.

Getting either Lafreniere or Byfield would be amazing but I'm not holding my breath.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Odds tell me that we are most likely to pick first. Narrative tells me that Lafreniere and Byfield go 1 and 2. Growing hype tells me that Stutzle goes 3.

If I’m setting the betting odds, I have the Hakan connection and 4th pick selecting Lucas Raymond as the favorite.

Edit: and since Raymond isn’t an option, I have to go with “Other” which gives me a free inclusion of Askarov, Holtz, and Lundell. I feel good...based on our current situation.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I mean it reads like it’s a completely illogical and incorrect way of looking at it.

Team with the worst record is sitting in the number one spot...until they aren’t. What else can it be called? He’s essentially saying “you can’t drop until you are guaranteed your draft position” in which case...you just are incapable of dropping.

He’s just subscribing to mental gymnastics at this point.

Not quite.

What I am saying is, standings determine your guaranteed position.

Ie. 31st in standing = 4th pick

31st in standings DOES NOT mean you get 1st pick.

I consider spots 1, 2, 3 vacant until awarded via lottery.

Hence, the lottery can only move a team UP in the draft position.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
We're most likely to pick 4th overall and if I were to predict the top 3 today it'd probably go:
1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle

The 3rd overall pick this year could be anybody and it really depends on the team who gets that pick. If a team gets 3rd and really needs a RHD I could easily see Drysdale going there, so it all depends. If the top 3 goes as I listed it before then I could see us taking Lucas Raymond.
How depressing is it that we are clearly the worst team in the league and most likely will draft a player that basically has zero chance of helping us NEXT YEAR like Drysdale would.

Christien

May 1, 2010
How depressing is it that we are clearly the worst team in the league and most likely will draft a player that basically has zero chance of helping us NEXT YEAR like Drysdale would.
It's a really shitty time to be in a rebuild because of the draft lottery. Hopefully we'll get lucky though after what's happened the past couple years with us dropping in the draft.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
It's a really ****ty time to be in a rebuild because of the draft lottery. Hopefully we'll get lucky though after what's happened the past couple years with us dropping in the draft.
Lotttery was put in cause teams intentionally tanking. Was supposed to be a deterant, which it isn't just makes it less profitable. Please refer to Buffalo's anger with getting Eichel.

And Detroit is intentionally tanking.

Which is why Tank Commander Blashill is still coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad