Votes: 3 2.1%
  • C - Cole Perfetti

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
My vote was cast for Tim Stützle. I don't know enough about prospects to provide analysis or give an educated opinion but I was doing a deep dive of analysis videos on YouTube 2 weeks back. Sounds like Stützle's stock is rising fast. He's been a nearly unanimous 3rd in mocks I've been reading. Russians. Swedes and possibly Germans next in Motown.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
he started the tournament on the second line at wing. Don’t tell me it’s “false” lol. No elite level center should struggle to play wing. So I wouldn’t blame his struggles on playing out of position.

I’m sure he’ll be a very good player in the nhl. Some people get WAY too defensive over this stuff. The level of hair splitting we’re doing over guys with this kind of talent is extreme. If I say byfield struggles or isn’t as good, that’s still to say the guy is a top 5 player IN THE ****ING WORLD at his age group. It’s not like I don’t like him or would be upset if we drafted him lol

Yeah I would take Byfield second overall but the excuses made for him about that tournament do get old (not on this board but in general). He had a brutal tournament and was pushed down the line up accordingly.

Nathan Mackinnon was a depth player for Canada at the WJC in his draft year too, and he turned out alright.

Completely different situations.

He didn't play in his natural position at all and one period of that against the United States doesn't make that correct. You presented it like they were in similar situations and that is completely false.

MacKinnon being brought up is likewise important because he spent very little of his draft tournament up the lineup. Also an incredibly young player for his draft year as well. Your FACTS are he played one period in a second line role not at his natural position and was demoted by Hunter looking for a spark after his team sputtered out of the gate. Unsurprisingly he demoted the youngest player on his entire team. Just like Lafreniere was a virtual non-factor in his first tournament while being some three months younger than Byfield at the time of comparison, he did get to play his natural position in the depth role at least.

Also my post very much distinguished center which is his role and while you might think switching from center to wing is easy, at this level of competition it isn't and certainly not when it is the first time you have been asked to do it.

I mean I would give him a bit of a pass on his play dropping a bit playing wing but it shouldnt have effected him the way he looked out there. Including the pretournament games where he was on the second line he looked decent in one and bad in the other. He was demoted for good reason. Its not comparable to Mackinnon who most Canadian fans wanted to see get more ice time because he was looking solid in his fourth line role.

Byfield was a guy who I didnt want on the ice as a big Canada fan. He did a lot of stuff that regardless of playing center or wing shouldnt happen.Plays were dying on his stick in the offensive zone, being on the wing shouldnt impact your ability to create chances off a cycle. He showed no hustle/copmete level in puck battles and wasnt doing anything on the forecheck. Mackinnon in his limited time did stuff that made you think he deserved ice time and that even if he wasnt a high end producer going forward he would at least be a guy who battlesand is competitive as f***. I wasnt expecting him to light the tournament up but it was the little things like compete level and motivation that I wanted to see from Byfield. After getting demoted I wanted to see him look like he cared and go out and change his game a bit to earn more time but he didnt do any of that.

That said, its a small tourney and hes a young draft eligible. I would still draft him second overall and hope those things come with age. I just dont like hte sugar coating and excuses for his tournament and I also dont like the Mackinnon comparison to attempt to bring context to his tourney

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah I would take Byfield second overall but the excuses made for him about that tournament do get old (not on this board but in general). He had a brutal tournament and was pushed down the line up accordingly.

Completely different situations.

I mean I would give him a bit of a pass on his play dropping a bit playing wing but it shouldnt have effected him the way he looked out there. Including the pretournament games where he was on the second line he looked decent in one and bad in the other. He was demoted for good reason. Its not comparable to Mackinnon who most Canadian fans wanted to see get more ice time because he was looking solid in his fourth line role.

Byfield was a guy who I didnt want on the ice as a big Canada fan. He did a lot of stuff that regardless of playing center or wing shouldnt happen.Plays were dying on his stick in the offensive zone, being on the wing shouldnt impact your ability to create chances off a cycle. He showed no hustle/copmete level in puck battles and wasnt doing anything on the forecheck. Mackinnon in his limited time did stuff that made you think he deserved ice time and that even if he wasnt a high end producer going forward he would at least be a guy who battlesand is competitive as ****. I wasnt expecting him to light the tournament up but it was the little things like compete level and motivation that I wanted to see from Byfield. After getting demoted I wanted to see him look like he cared and go out and change his game a bit to earn more time but he didnt do any of that.

That said, its a small tourney and hes a young draft eligible. I would still draft him second overall and hope those things come with age. I just dont like hte sugar coating and excuses for his tournament and I also dont like the Mackinnon comparison to attempt to bring context to his tourney

The kid turned 17 years old like 4 months before the tournament started.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The kid turned 17 years old like 4 months before the tournament started.

Thats fine and I understand that but that doesnt somehow make the Mackinnon comparison make more sense. Byfield was given the most opportunity I've ever seen for a non-generational draft eligible prospect going into the tournament for Canada and he did nothing with it. If that doesnt effect how you view him for the draft thats fine, it has a bit for me but not a crazy amount. But the comparisons to Mackinnon dont make sense at all and it doesnt change the fact that some of the stuff he was doing that looked bad had nothing to do with being a center or a winger.

I definitely think if he had played center, maybe we see his skating ability a bit more through the middle of the ice and his tournament looks better overall. But that still doesnt change the fact that he didnt seem to be competing hard at all and didnt show a lot of tenacity. The way his compete level was though playing center his tournament could've actually looked worse. Mackinnon did that playing on the fourth line at an even younger age than Byfield was. Yes hes really young but we're still talking about a guy a lot of people have talked about at first overall.

I still take him second but theres a lot of excuses for his play at the world juniors that dont make a lot of sense to me

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is just another OHL specific ranking but I think it's relevant here. If he's right, then Byfield could go 3rd.

Size quickly becomes overrated when you don't use it. To quote the article:

The only real concern I have with Byfield is his real lack of physicality despite the large frame, and at times he tends to shy away from contact altogether. He loses more battles along the boards than he should. I would like to see a more willingness to fight through checks and not give up on plays as much. He is a bit of a gentle giant which is something teams could take advantage of at the next level.

He may be a big center but he's no Lindros, that's for sure.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Size quickly becomes overrated when you don't use it. To quote the article:

The only real concern I have with Byfield is his real lack of physicality despite the large frame, and at times he tends to shy away from contact altogether. He loses more battles along the boards than he should. I would like to see a more willingness to fight through checks and not give up on plays as much. He is a bit of a gentle giant which is something teams could take advantage of at the next level.

He may be a big center but he's no Lindros, that's for sure.

Length and reach never go out of style though

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Easy plan we will draft Lafreniere/Stutzle and next year we take Stanislav Svozil, 16yo defenseman playing in Czech Extraliga, he Is playing like 25yo, he will be NHL ready in his draft year.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For the record, Goc never played for the Sabres. He had stints with the Sharks, the Predators, the Panthers, the Pens and the Blues.

I must have messed him with Jochen Hecht. :facepalm:

Just had a gut feeling that Sabres has had a lot of good germans, like Ehrhoff.

Most NHL games by German players:

1. W - Marco Sturm - 938 games
2. D - Dennis Seidenberg - 859
3. F - Jochen Hecht - 833
4. D - Christian Ehrhoff - 789
5. D - Uwe Krupp - 729
6. G - Olaf Kölzig - 719
6. C - Marcel Goc - 636
-----------------------New generation
7. W - Tobias Rieder - 410
8. C - Leon Draisaitl - 400

Interesting where are those older generation guys currently.

Uwe Krupp - Head Coach of Sparta Praha (Czech league)
Marcel Goc - still plays, Captain for Adler Mannheim (Seider and Stutzle)
Marco Sturm - Assistant coach for LA Kings (and former German National team Head coach, Olympic Silver 2018)
Olaf Kolzig - Developmental coach for Washington Capitals (since 2014, goaltending coach 2011-2014)
Dennis Seidenberg - retired (cult player for Adler Mannheim)
Jochen Hecht - former Buffalo Sabres Captain and former development coach and assistant for Adler Mannheim (also cult/star player for Adler Mannheim, and born in Mannheim)

So almost everyone has had some coaching career and funny how you can draw some connections to Mannheim from few guys. It really looks like Mannheim is the hockey heart of Germany. All the German braintrust is there, or they are elswehere, not in Germany, lots of NHL experience from former NHL players etc. No wonder if their biggest future stars Seider and Stutzle come from there. Best place to develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratatoskr

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
That's some high praise. What's his playstyle, and upside in your opinion?
He Is solid two way defenseman at 16yo age, good skater and likes to go through traffic, very agile. He Is like Hronek with better offensive capabilities, he makes dangerous passes in ozone. One of the top prospects of 2021 draft.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Been thinking about it, and I would be shocked if Stutzle isn't in Detroit's top 3. He has a bigger role in the DEL than Seider had, which is impressive at his age. And he has been very productive against men already as well. With how promising Seider looks that has to make the idea of Stutzle seem very appealing.

One of the biggest reasons I want a top 1-2 pick is not just because I like the upside of Lafreniere/Byfield, but also because I think they have a higher floor too. They have a much higher floor than guys like Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond IMO. Stutzle starts to look more appealing when you look at it from that perspective.

I wouldn't even be shocked if we won pick #2 and took Stutzle over Byfield, honestly. I'm curious to see what Bob's list looks like tomorrow.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Been thinking about it, and I would be shocked if Stutzle isn't in Detroit's top 3. He has a bigger role in the DEL than Seider had, which is impressive at his age. And he has been very productive against men already as well. With how promising Seider looks that has to make the idea of Stutzle seem very appealing.

One of the biggest reasons I want a top 1-2 pick is not just because I like the upside of Lafreniere/Byfield, but also because I think they have a higher floor too. They have a much higher floor than guys like Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond IMO. Stutzle starts to look more appealing when you look at it from that perspective.

I wouldn't even be shocked if we won pick #2 and took Stutzle over Byfield, honestly. I'm curious to see what Bob's list looks like tomorrow.

Yes. Yessss. Come to the dark side, my friend.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I wasn’t speaking to what I would do, but how I think the Wings are looking at it.

your reasoning for why you could understand the wings doing it are your opinions, are they not? Everything you said about stutzle was an opinion you hold, right? That’s how it was worded. I think you want stutzle but don’t want to admit it. I think you love him. Frky and stutzle together forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad