Who do the Blues bring into training camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
With the AHL season already going strong and with not a lot of room open on our roster, I'm curious to see what the training camp roster will look like. Do you bring up a Fairchild or Hensick to perhaps give a glance of what they can do if an injury happens? Do you bring up a third goalie?

Personally I'd like to have at least 6 extra players on the roster come camp time, at least for the first few practices. That way they can see how they do together and maybe speculate who is the top injury reserve guy.

Assuming Cole is already slated in on our full time roster, I would have Woywitka, Murray, Schwartz, Porter, Peluso, Chorney. Leave Cracknell off but keep watching him in Peoria.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
With the AHL season already going strong and with not a lot of room open on our roster, I'm curious to see what the training camp roster will look like. Do you bring up a Fairchild or Hensick to perhaps give a glance of what they can do if an injury happens? Do you bring up a third goalie?

Personally I'd like to have at least 6 extra players on the roster come camp time, at least for the first few practices. That way they can see how they do together and maybe speculate who is the top injury reserve guy.

Assuming Cole is already slated in on our full time roster, I would have Woywitka, Murray, Schwartz, Porter, Peluso, Chorney. Leave Cracknell off but keep watching him in Peoria.
Completely agree with your list. I feel pretty good about our depth.

No need to bring Hensick up. He's just not an NHL player, but obviously a good AHL one.

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
Strickland tweeted that Schwartz and Cole were scratched from peoria's game. (no surprise that they will be in camp) and that Rattie will stay with portland.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Yep, and Bob McKenzie said the Blues aren't bringing any junior players to camp.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I'm sure there will be others, those are just the 2 that the Blues want to keep from getting injured for obvious reasons. The other guys are just extra depth players that will be battling for spots in the press box mainly.

AHL season isnt stopping for the NHL, Peoria has to play too. The Blues cant bring in the majority of the AHL roster like they usually do.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
AHL season isnt stopping for the NHL, Peoria has to play too. The Blues cant bring in the majority of the AHL roster like they usually do.
I realize that but they can bring in 5-6 players.

It's going to be the same for every team. I think most teams will be bringing up more than just 2 players.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

It's going to be the same for every team. I think most teams will be bringing up more than just 2 players.

Maybe a one or two more, but I really doubt they butcher Peorias already weak roster to get a look at players. The Blues roster is largely set, and after Cole and Schwartz, there isnt a ton to look at IMO. McRae? Cundari or Fairchild? Bleh

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

I agree.

While the AHL season is still going on, I'm sure the NHL is the priority. They have players in the ECHL, so it's not an issue of there not being enough players.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
With it being such a short camp and the AHL season already underway, I see no reason to bring anybody into camp that doesn't have an excellent shot of making the team. For that reason, unless there are injuries, I only being Cole and Schwartz from Peoria.

Heck, even Schwartz has pretty long odds of making the team out of camp assuming everyone stays healthy.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
With it being such a short camp and the AHL season already underway, I see no reason to bring anybody into camp that doesn't have an excellent shot of making the team. For that reason, unless there are injuries, I only being Cole and Schwartz from Peoria.

Heck, even Schwartz has pretty long odds of making the team out of camp assuming everyone stays healthy.

Schwartz would be the first forward called up if injuries take too many forwards from the top 3 lines. It's probably worth it to have him in camp just so he won't miss a beat if he gets called up later in the season. Ian Cole is the only other current Riverman that should be with the Blues at all this season, ideally.

Fun fact about the guy from last year that Cole is replacing... I just saw that Carlo injured himself in Europe. He'll miss 2 to 3 weeks.

Wiems35*

Is there any chance Schwartz makes it? I wonder if him playing on a regular basis in the AHL, while some have just been practicing, might give him an edge.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Is there any chance Schwartz makes it? I wonder if him playing on a regular basis in the AHL, while some have just been practicing, might give him an edge.

Next to none, unless we decide to keep him around for a couple of weeks and having him split time with D'Agostini while we await the inevitable injury. Unlikely though, for the obvious reason of wanting him to play as much as possible. Our forwards are set.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah I think we should keep Schwartz in the AHL and get him as much playing time as possible. He's definitely the first call up if there's an injury to a Top 9 forward.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Schwartz would be the first forward called up if injuries take too many forwards from the top 3 lines. It's probably worth it to have him in camp just so he won't miss a beat if he gets called up later in the season. Ian Cole is the only other current Riverman that should be with the Blues at all this season, ideally.

Fun fact about the guy from last year that Cole is replacing... I just saw that Carlo injured himself in Europe. He'll miss 2 to 3 weeks.

Out of curiosity, is your username based on Carlo?

;)

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Out of curiosity, is your username based on Carlo?

;)
I thought it was from a Pixies song.

As for Schwartz, he need ice time. He's a guy that will be playing big minutes in the AHL right up until the day before he gets plugged into the Blues line-up. They already did the limited minutes and practice with the team two-step at the end of last season. He knows what the NHL requires of him. I see him as probably the first call-up, but not likely to make the team out of camp...and not likely to stick around a long time once the roster is set. Circumstances dictate that the team needs to get their rotations set quickly, and the Blues are not going to be spending a lot of time in camp tinkering with things.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The best chance Schwartz has if he really impresses and the Blues find a place to make a deal like D'Agostini for Tallinder, freeing up a spot for him.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I would say that Schwartz and Cole are givens as people have already said.

I would also expect to see Woywitka who has spent time with the Blues and Dallas, Tarasenko will probably be brought into camp, maybe also guys like Cracknell and Mcrae who we have called up in the past couple seasons.

I just hope that we don't start this season and have one of top guys, like Backes or Perron go down with some season ending injury that would keep them out until like November of next season or something.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Tarasenko and McDonald should be on separate units. Both of them make their money from the right wing wall.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think the Blues would be wiser to let Schwartz be AHL depth and not go out of their way to trade D'Agostini (or other forward depth) just to make room for him. Any trade that occurs would have to be to obtain the ideal defenseman, or some other too-good-to-pass-up trade. I don't see that trade happening, but I do see injuries happening. We'll see plenty of Schwartz this season, and be glad he was available, but I don't think it will happen out of camp.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think the Blues would be wiser to let Schwartz be AHL depth and not go out of their way to trade D'Agostini (or other forward depth) just to make room for him. Any trade that occurs would have to be to obtain the ideal defenseman, or some other too-good-to-pass-up trade. I don't see that trade happening, but I do see injuries happening. We'll see plenty of Schwartz this season, and be glad he was available, but I don't think it will happen out of camp.

Agreed. JR posted a stat today that during the last lockout shortened season, only 2 Blues played every game. With games almost every other day, there's bound to be injuries. Schwartz will get plenty of time with the Blues I think. It sounds like the only guy he could be out in camp is Porter...and personally, I'd think it makes more sense to keep Porter as a spare than to have Schwartz sitting in the pressbox most nights. Let Schwartz get big minutes in Peoria and when they need him in the Blues lineup, call him up!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Agreed. JR posted a stat today that during the last lockout shortened season, only 2 Blues played every game. With games almost every other day, there's bound to be injuries. Schwartz will get plenty of time with the Blues I think. It sounds like the only guy he could be out in camp is Porter...and personally, I'd think it makes more sense to keep Porter as a spare than to have Schwartz sitting in the pressbox most nights. Let Schwartz get big minutes in Peoria and when they need him in the Blues lineup, call him up!
Agreed, Schwartz needs to be playing in Peoria until we need him. And Porter is a good energy line guy. He's fast and physical.

I think we'll see lots of different line combos this season. The good thing with our depth is you can really mix and match the top 9 with a few different combos, and then I think Hitch might rotate guys like Langenbrunner, Sobotka, Nichol, Reaves, Porter down there on the 4th line to keep them all fresh. And we could see some role players from Peoria at times too.

It will be interesting, but if that's the way the season goes for most teams, then I like our chances personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->