Who disappointed (s) you more?

Who was or is a bigger disappointment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think Legwand can be forgiven for his lack of offensive, if our franchise was more established when we picked him I could see him putting up more impressive numbers.

Johansen, to me, is more disappointing, despite having more success. There's nothing holding him back from being a 70 point player or a 30-30 center but himself.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Johansen.

1998 wasn't a stellar draft in terms of scoring forwards and Legwand definitely wasn't the first high-draft pick whose offensive game dried up a bit at the pro level. Credit to him for being flexible enough to round out his game and have the type of career he had.

Johansen was touted as THE franchise center and we paid an exorbitant premium for him. He doesn't produce enough for what we gave up for him or for what he's paid. He also doesn't exude the strong work ethic/effort level that was a staple of this franchise for most of its existence.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Johansen is just a young guy making a fortune and having a great time. He’s talented; it got him a super deal and now he’s just floating. Preds are getting maybe 75% of his ability. If he’s disappointed then it’s totally up to him. Get in shape and put 100% effort on the ice.

Reactions: PredsV82

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Johansen is just a young guy making a fortune and having a great time. He’s talented; it got him a super deal and now he’s just floating. Preds are getting maybe 75% of his ability. If he’s disappointed then it’s totally up to him. Get in shape and put 100% effort on the ice.

I could get behind this reasoning but I can't for two reasons:

1) He did have two stellar seasons after he got his contract, although the first year was a bit underwhelming production-wise he did have fantastic playoffs again that year. The second year, he was solid as a rock when everyone else was injured beside him.

2) He's had a an off-year for sure, but I'm willing to cut him some slack for now. It was a difficult year for everyone on the team not including the Bonino line and the Josi-Ellis pairing. If he can't bounce back from this, then we're in big, big trouble.

My wish for Johansen is that he would shoot the puck more. Where is the 30-goal scoring Johansen that came from Columbus?

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I could get behind this reasoning but I can't for two reasons:

1) He did have two stellar seasons after he got his contract, although the first year was a bit underwhelming production-wise he did have fantastic playoffs again that year. The second year, he was solid as a rock when everyone else was injured beside him.

2) He's had a an off-year for sure, but I'm willing to cut him some slack for now. It was a difficult year for everyone on the team not including the Bonino line and the Josi-Ellis pairing. If he can't bounce back from this, then we're in big, big trouble.

My wish for Johansen is that he would shoot the puck more. Where is the 30-goal scoring Johansen that came from Columbus?
His playoff stats were sort of the kind of seasons a #1 center should be having; like 30 goals and 84 points. Well, maybe 25 and 75. But he’s in the teens on goals and 60’s on points consistently. I think he’s better than that. When he goes at it hard, every game and every shift, then he looks dominant.
But that whole JOFA line really has fallen off. When I watch those replays , I think Wow, I wish they were flying around like that now.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
There's been very few times he's looked absolutely dominant in the regular season in his time in Nashville. Just by looking at his numbers in Columbus, I'd say he was a more dominant player there than in Nashville. But that's been kind of the curse of this franchise, hard to find those elite offensive players and when we get one, he regresses almost instantly.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder how he would do if we could build a real power line for him. In the past I always thought it was great that the JoFA line basically had a bit of everything, speed and finish from Arvy and some fancy hands from FF9 and then the power center element of Johansen's style. But I don't know, maybe it's not actually working out the best for all of them anymore. I wonder if we had some bigger power wingers who could score a little, how would Joey look playing with that type of player? I don't even remember if we saw guys like Hartnell or Simmonds with him now. It's all faded. But they were faded too, so they're not really what I'm thinking of. I guess power scoring wingers are an increasingly rare commodity around the league anyway, so it's probably moot to wonder if just a style/energy change like that would even be worth thinking about.

But maybe if we re-sign Smith, what would Trenin-Joey-Smith do? Could you get mileage out of that as a line 2 while FF9-Duchene-Arvy does more of the razzle-dazzle?

End of the day it's all just going to come back to looking at next year and seeing what happens, I guess. Hopefully Joey finds a way back to the top of his game.

Reactions: Scoresberg

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I wonder how he would do if we could build a real power line for him. In the past I always thought it was great that the JoFA line basically had a bit of everything, speed and finish from Arvy and some fancy hands from FF9 and then the power center element of Johansen's style. But I don't know, maybe it's not actually working out the best for all of them anymore. I wonder if we had some bigger power wingers who could score a little, how would Joey look playing with that type of player? I don't even remember if we saw guys like Hartnell or Simmonds with him now. It's all faded. But they were faded too, so they're not really what I'm thinking of. I guess power scoring wingers are an increasingly rare commodity around the league anyway, so it's probably moot to wonder if just a style/energy change like that would even be worth thinking about.

But maybe if we re-sign Smith, what would Trenin-Joey-Smith do? Could you get mileage out of that as a line 2 while FF9-Duchene-Arvy does more of the razzle-dazzle?

End of the day it's all just going to come back to looking at next year and seeing what happens, I guess. Hopefully Joey finds a way back to the top of his game.

IIRC Johansen started on the Preds on a line with Jarnkrok and Neal and stayed with them pretty much until the JOFA line was put together in mid 2016-2017.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Comparing these players at the same age...
(stats per 82)

JohansenLegwand
AgeGoalsPointsAgeGoalsPoints
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
johansen has never gotten the shit he has deserved from the fan base. legwand got more shit than anyone.

duchene should be right there with johansen if they both play like their continued turd pace.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->