Who did Vegas fleece worse at the Expansion Draft?

Who did vegas fleece the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Smith and Bjugstad don't have that bad contracts and Florida shouldn't have considered them that bad in the draft either. Smith was still a useful middle six player on his down year, Bjugstad was terrible but that was by far his worst season and was destined to bounce back at least to some extent which he has done. Had the Panthers protected March instead of Bjugstad, who else would've been on the table for Vegas? Colton Sceviour? Bleh. I'd say both Tallon and the owners screwed it up.
They were both overpaid and have term left so there was no reason for Vegas to select either of them and hope they bounce back . They would have just selected a prospect and spent there cap elsewhere imo . Not to mention Tallon couldn't gamble that one would be taken since he had to cut salary . But this being said i believe he was one who signed both so he kind of put himself in that bind .

Pitt could have also gambled Vegas would have selected MAF but they also needed his cap hit gone so they too paid to guarantee he was selected .

Hindsight's always 20/20 and had Tallon known March would go to another level i'm sure he would have done thing differently but who expected him to play this well or for the Knights to be in contention for the presidents cup , lol .

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Pittsburgh:
M.A. Fleury: 17-6-3, 2.03GAA/.933SV%
2020 2nd rd pick

* The pens gave vegas a 2nd to take a goalie that has been one of the best in the league this year

Columbus:
William Karlsson: 30g/50pts, +32 in 57 games
David Clarkson
2017 1st rd pick (used to move up and take Suzuki)
2019 2nd rd pick

* Columbus gave vegas a haul to take Clarksons cap hit, and not take Korpisalo, Anderson, Johnson.
Columbus took the pair of picks and took a kid who is is a likely 40g scorer this year

Florida:
Jonathan Marchessault: 21g/55pts, +25 in 54 games
Rielly Smith: 17g/48pts, +28 in 57 games

* Florida agreed to leave 30g scorer Marchessault unprotected as part of the deal that sent Rielly Smith to vegas for a 4th. Florida viewed him as a cap dump and Vegas jumped at the opportunity to land two top 6 forwards and only give up a 4th

So who made out worst?
This is Florida and it isn't close.

A) Pittsburgh had to expose Murray if MAF didn't waive. With MAF there, it was easy. Pitts was in a bind. They didn't get fleeced.

B) While Wild Bill is putting up some great numbers, he's got no history of scoring. Anywhere. He could very well come crashing down to earth. That would completely change how that transaction work out. But they did well there.

C) Marchessault has scored everywhere he's been. He is the best player of the bunch (perhaps not named Fleury) and will continue to score. This was really bad for Florida. They struggle to score.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
They were both overpaid and have term left so there was no reason for Vegas to select either of them and hope they bounce back . They would have just selected a prospect and spent there cap elsewhere imo . Not to mention Tallon couldn't gamble that one would be taken since he had to cut salary . But this being said i believe he was one who signed both so he kind of put himself in that bind .

Pitt could have also gambled Vegas would have selected MAF but they also needed his cap hit gone so they too paid to guarantee he was selected .

Hindsight's always 20/20 and had Tallon known March would go to another level i'm sure he would have done thing differently but who expected him to play this well or for the Knights to be in contention for the presidents cup , lol .

You can't select prospects in the expansion draft. They picked Cody Eakin as well, who also has term on his contract and was also coming off a horrendous season, even worse than Bjugstad.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Florida ****ed up but you can blame there cheap ass owners who ordered their GM to dump salary.
Not really accurate. Tallon brought in Dadonov and Vrbata as replacements. They're actually more in salary and cap hit this season. 5.85 versus 6.5

He also didn't do anything to try to keep March and Smith because they're not "his guys" and kept Bjugstad instead of trying to move him and his salary out. Bjugstad is a Tallon guy.

Also, if we had to dump salary, you do whatever you need to do to keep a guy making 750K who scores 31 goals.

Tallon sucks.

Reactions: ehhedler

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It's very interesting to note that all three teams are suffering this season. Panthers we're bad and are worse. Columbus were decent and now suck. Penguins were great and are now mediocre.

The big mistake Florida made was Marchy. Without a doubt. Like people have said, if they'd just exposed Bjugstad and Smith, they would have lost just one and Tallon would be considered pretty crafty by some. Had they gone 7-3-1 and left Petro or Pysyk unprotected, that would have probably been it. Obviously, almost no damage.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Reactions: ehhedler

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Definitely Florida

Columbus dumped the Clarkson contract, and Pittsburgh had two #1 goalies (picking the one that won you the Cup two years in a row and is younger is a no-brainer). Florida gave Vegas a very good player to take a very good player.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Florida. Columbus dumped Clarkson which was at least a plus, but with Karlsson shooting at nearly 30% for a while, I doubt he'd either repeat these numbers, or have achieved that with Columbus.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Florida easily. I think Marchessault is the only player who is actually as good as their stats indicate, the decision to expose him over Bjugstad is baffling, as is the thought that Smith was a bad enough cotract to offload for next to nothing.

Pittsburgh made the right choice keeping Murray, though probably should have been able to move Fleury for something, but if there was no market for him then you can't blame them too much.

The Columbus trade is pretty bad too though.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How is Pittsburgh an option? The alternative was losing Matt Murray. Either way, the Pens were going to lose a legitimate starting goalie. All it cost them was a 2nd a couple of years later to ensure it was the older, more expensive one.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm going to say Columbus because I was high on William Karlsson last year. Not this high obviously, but I didn't think he was that far off of Josh Anderson so for me the "don't take these players" portion of the deal was pretty irrelevant at the time and only got much worse now that Karlsson has broken out with Vegas.

Florida was quite obviously the worst decision at the time.

Pittsburgh, once MAF had agreed to wave I don't understand why they gave up a 2nd to get them to take MAF since that was very very likely to be the choice Vegas would have taken anyway. It was mostly like a free 2nd. I get why the Penguins likely wanted to ensure that was the direction that was to be taken well in advance instead of being surprised and then trying to figure out what to do with MAF afterwards, but a 2nd hardly seems like that price but nowhere near as bad as the other 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->