200.gif

Or

Mr Furley

SlowZealousFly-size_restricted.gif

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yeah but Furley was a nice guy who tried to project toughness and did it really well. A man with many flaws where as Roper knew who he was and was stubborn.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I voted Furley

fun fact on how Don Knotts got the job. When the producers decided to spin off the Ropers the producers said to themselves they wanted a Don Knotts type character--Then one said "Why not call Knotts" the other one said--"he would never do it"--They called Knotts who knew nothing about the show--but his daughter Karen Knotts loved the show and told her father to do it.

Reactions: TP and Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
The guy who played Roper always reminded me of that drama teacher in high school who was awesome at improve. great comedic presence.

Norman Fell.

I thought both were great in their own ways and really played two different type characters in terms of attitudes and suspicion.

Roper was far less hip and far less gay friendly and was married (she was great too.) He was always trying to catch Jack because he didn't believe him at all. That made for some great laughs.

Mr. Furley was a swinging bachelor who was far more concerned with being hip and Jack's potential advances. That made for some great laughs as well. Plus, it was Don Knotts. I don't care what show or movie he was in he was always hilarious.

The way I see it is that Mr. Roper was better for the show, but Mr. Furley was the much funnier character.

Vote still being decided perhaps OP can clarify for me which aspect he is asking.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Norman Fell.

I thought both were great in their own ways and really played two different type characters in terms of attitudes and suspicion.

Roper was far less hip and far less gay friendly and was married (she was great too.) He was always trying to catch Jack because he didn't believe him at all. That made for some great laughs.

Mr. Furley was a swinging bachelor who was far more concerned with being hip and Jack's potential advances. That made for some great laughs as well. Plus, it was Don Knotts. I don't care what show or movie he was in he was always hilarious.

The way I see it is that Mr. Roper was better for the show, but Mr. Furley was the much funnier character.

Vote still being decided perhaps OP can clarify for me which aspect he is asking.

I felt sorry for Norman Fell. He had built a solid rep as a character actor prior to three's company and was mostly known as a heavy or bad guy--after doing three's company he was no longer offered those roles for many years. He also felt betrayed by the producers who said if his show was cancelled after one year--he could go back to the mothership show--the ropers lasted something like 6 episodes into its second season before being cancelled--when Fell asked about the agreement they had (which was in writing) the producers pointed out that his show last more then one season so they did not have to bring him back on. If you like hollywood back stories look into how Fell felt towards Jack Klugman and how he thought Klugman was an overactor everytime

Reactions: TP and Legionnaire

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Norman Fell.

Really it's just as the landlord. It's like asking the difference between Chrissy, her cousin or the Nurse as the 3rd roommate.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Furley all the way.
Lana to Furley - "Even a WORM wouldn't go out with a WORM like you!!"
-
"I say old chap, have you seen LESLIE!??!" hahaha Furley was awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Roper too, but he had Mrs Roper's character weighing him down. Plus I found the later episodes to be much funnier than the early ones, though all were great.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I'd definitely pick Furley.

Roper was basically a one-joke character. He didn't want to have sex with his wife, and would smile at the camera after he insulted her. They'd really stretched that gag as far they could.

Furley stole most of the scenes he was in. His facial expressions never failed to crack me up. Plus, he was a much more likable character. Roper seemed a bit mean-spirited with some of his comments about Jack.

Reactions: the squared circle

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'd definitely pick Furley.

Roper was basically a one-joke character. He didn't want to have sex with his wife, and would smile at the camera after he insulted her. They'd really stretched that gag as far they could.

Furley stole most of the scenes he was in. His facial expressions never failed to crack me up. Plus, he was a much more likable character. Roper seemed a bit mean-spirited with some of his comments about Jack.
They both were homophobic though. Roper more of an authoritarian and Furley more of a simpleton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad